Worst Pink Floyd Album EVER?
Jul 19, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #31 of 120
My 2 least favorite PF songs are Dogs of War and Money. I can't stand the annoying begining of Dogs of War. It scares me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #32 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
My 2 least favorite PF songs are Dogs of War and Money. I can't stand the annoying begining of Dogs of War. It scares me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually the whole atmosphere of Dogs of war is what I like so much about it. The beginning with that slow train-like repetitive thumping is amazingly tense. I don't find it annoying at all, it's just truly dark and indeed, sort of scary. Then the voice alone sounds almost like coming directly from the depths of the underworld. I see it as sort of a masterfully dark chant of a fallen angel, something like that. Here the lyrics (http://www.lyricsdepot.com/Pink-floy...gs-of-war.html):

Dogs of war and men of hate
With no cause, we don't discriminate
Discovery is to be disowned
Our currency is flesh and bone
Hell opened up and put on sale
Gather 'round and haggle
For hard cash, we will lie and deceive
Even our masters don't know the web we weave

One world, it's a battleground
One world, and we will smash it down
One world ... One world

Invisible transfers, long distance calls,
Hollow laughter in marble halls
Steps have been taken, a silent uproar
Has unleashed the dogs of war
You can't stop what has begun
Signed, sealed, they deliver oblivion
We all have a dark side, to say the least
And dealing in death is the nature of the beast

One world ... One world

The dogs of war don't negotiate
The dogs of war won't capitulate,
They will take and you will give,
And you must die so that they may live
You can knock at any door,
But wherever you go, you know they've been there before
Well winners can lose and things can get strained
But whatever you change, you know the dogs remain.

One world ... One world

Jul 19, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #33 of 120
I consider myself a moderately serious Floyd fan, dating back to Ummagumma. My least favorite of their albums is... The Wall. By the time this record came out, I was getting really tired of Roger Waters bleating about how crappy the world and his life was. Animals was only OK, but The Wall really started to piss me off. Basta, Roger!

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #34 of 120
Interesting stats I just gathered from Amazon for Pink Floyd's Albums.
Sorted the albums by Amazon stars (descending), then by Amazon rank (ascending).
Because of lowest # stars, guess which one ends up last... :p
Code:

Code:
[left]StarsRankReviews Wish You Were Here567538 The Wall4.573806 DSOTM (CD)4.51191111 DSOTM (SACD)4.5243271 Animals4.5274426 Meddle4.5738313 The Piper at the Gates of Dawn4.51091326 Obscured by clouds4.51268112 Atom Heart Mother 4.52498215 The Division Bell41226362 The Final cut4154455 Pulse42744158 Ummagumma42796140 More4312492 Delicate Sound of Thunder44235102 Saucerful of Secrets44915115 A Momentary Lapse of Reason3.5870225[/left]

Jul 19, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #35 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by xantus
The Division Bell would be my 2nd vote. I like the first and last track a lot, but most of the middle stuff sounds very very 80s. Hair Band Power Ballads.

You have to be joking with us. You saying that Division Bell is your second least favorite Pink Floyd album is completely OK with me. But, you calling the "middle stuff" of Division Bell HAIR BAND POWER BALLADS? I mean, everyone has their own unique interpretations of Pink Floyd's music, but this is completely insane.

Please point out to me how ANY of these songs (like Marooned, Keep Talking, or Lost for Words) even sound remotely like a hair band's power ballad.

Jul 19, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #36 of 120
i concur with the majority (at amazon that is, not here) that 'momentary lapse of reason' is pink floyd's worst album - and you can also count me among those who say that 'the final cut' is very, very good. not everybody's cup of tea of course and harder to relate to out of the historical context (thatcher reign, falkland war, fear of immanent third world war...)

on the other hand, i can understand that the syd barrett albums have followers but i'm 100% sure that if knowing all albums was a prerequisite for the poll, those two would lead it by a wide margin. they're completely different, and rather strange, psychedelic experimental stuff. still, they have artistic merit - something 'a momentary lapse of reason' lacks.

Jul 19, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #38 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan
still, they have artistic merit - something 'a momentary lapse of reason' lacks.

indeed.

TFC is the only PF album that does not offset misery with some sort of hope. In addition to the example of the Wall already described, Animals is bookended by a lovesong. I think many of us have had times when we feel all hope is lost. That's what Waters must have been feeling when he made this album because it is depressing. Yet, the album is well crafted, musically interesting, and contains some excellent Gilmour solos. I like it every bit as much as the Floyd classics.

Back to the post-Waters 80's and 90's Pink Floyd, the musicianship was still there but all the songwriting talent left with Waters. Division Bell has a few cuts that I like but MLoR is just miserable. The formulaic radio cuts have absolutely no lasting value. The only redeeming qualtiy is the great cover art which is probably the work of long time collaborater Storm Thorgerson. MLoR is the only Floyd album I don't own (along with Delicate Sound of Thunder, the live album from that tour).

My second least favorite is Syd Barrett's work with the Floyd. The 60's psychedelic Brit-Pop in many cases shows its age badly. PatGOD is an interesting listen, but it is spotty outside of Astonomy Domine and Interstellar Overdrive.

My favorite Floyd is the so-called Experimental period of 1970-1972, between the releases of Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, and DSoTM. This includes the video Pompeii as well (Ummagumma is OK). There are also many good bootlegs that document BBC archive recordings in excellent quality.

Jul 19, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #39 of 120
my vote goes to "Momentary Lapse of Talent"
orphsmile.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #40 of 120
I really like A Momentary Lapse of Reason -- if you listen to Gilmour's solo albums, you realize that this is not that, it is a Pink Floyd album, and deserved to be called that.

The Final Cut is easily Pink Floyd's most under-rated album of all time. I remember not liking it, but when I went back to listen to it, it hit me like And The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway -- only without the obscure imagery.

Ummagumma -- the studio side, anyway -- is practically unlistenable. Completely experimental -- I can't listen to "Sysyphus" (Rick Wright's contribution) nor "The Grand Vizier's Garden Party" (Nick Mason's contribution) at all. "Narrow Way" (part 2, especially) was good enough. And I like the live album. So maybe this is more of a "least favourite" Pink Floyd album contest. To me, anyway.

Jul 20, 2005 at 7:40 AM Post #41 of 120
No, I'd like to still consider this a "worst floyd album" poll over a "least favorite". The reason is because I want justification.

To me, whenever I listen to The Final Cut, his pathetic voice makes me laugh. I have never laughed as hard at an album as The Final Cut. When I was first getting into Pink Floyd, I had just come out of an Ummagumma studio session - and this record sounded like a joke. "Was Jesus really crucified? Is that why daddy died?" HAH! Give me a break!

IMO, The Narrow Way suite is one of PF's best works! Grantchester Meadows is also a work of poetic musical genius, and Several Species (...) is by-far one of the most incredible accomplishments for any studio recording in the early seventies.The fact they did this with only instruments boggles my mind.

Sysphus I believe is a pretty good work. Nick Mason's work, IMO, is indeed the weak point... but there was some very cool flute work by his wife at the time, which makes it at least listenable to my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #42 of 120
i'm not much of a PF fan... having grown up in the deep south, they remind me of camaros and mullets. which may explain my vote for...

Wish You Were Here

being the adolescent punk-wannabe, i was trying to figure out what the fuss was about PF, and this album was recommended to me. i bought it, listened to it 10 times in a row and utterly hated it.

from a more reasonable, objective perspective however... i'd have to vote for Momentary Lapse of Talent (Momentary Lapse of Cash Flow?)

evil_smiley.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #44 of 120
I don't much care for Ummagumma. Just doesn't rub me the right way. Bits of it are alright, but the album as a whole just seems lacking. "Experimental" does not always equate "good" in my book.

I kinda feel like I'm in the minority when I say that I really love The Division Bell and A Momentary Lapse of Reason.

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #45 of 120
Listening to Atom Heart Mother as I type and (wow!) what a piece of crap it really is, that man who thinks The Final Cut is crap really doesn't have a clue and is missing the plot (IMO) The Final cut (IMO) is one of Floyds greatest works.

Pinkie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back