Worst Pink Floyd Album EVER?
Jul 29, 2005 at 10:14 AM Post #91 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrfytrhoges
heh, another knucklehead descibes people who can appreciate a certain artists vocals with colorful words, this time "rocks in their heads," you know it alls never cease to amaze me. the music forum at this place is becoming filled with elitist brats who dont know when to quit. i realize this one gives "ol rog" some props, but not before slamming us folks who happen to appreciate his performance as a whole instead of picking it apart and dividing it into creativity/musical ability/vocals. i think ive had it with this section of headfi. i believe ill hang out in a music forum where some people are a little less know it all, yet have much more musical knowledge, ala stevehoffman, at least there is intelligent debate there.....

I think I'll join you.

Jul 29, 2005 at 10:34 AM Post #92 of 120
Worst: First three albums
Best: The Division Bell

Jul 29, 2005 at 11:47 AM Post #93 of 120
I think DB is probably their weakest venture. I disagree with people picking early albums. Even if some of these songs are inaccessible, they were part of the developement leading up to what "most" people consider their best albums: meddle, dsotm, wywh, animals and the wall.

Jul 29, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #94 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
I went to see The Wall at Long Beach. There was a problem with the sound system where there was a noticeable hiss every time they played back music on tape. As the concert started, about a third of it had hiss. By the end when the wall completely blocked the crowd's view of the band, the hiss was constant. I bet they were in their limo and on their way back to their hotel before the concert was even over. I've never felt so cheated by a band in my life... inflatable pigs and giant puppets aren't what I go to a concert to see. I want to see musicians who can play their instruments. Pink Floyd are a bunch of talentless hacks that piece together notes in the studio. They couldn't play a song all the way through without overdubbing if their lives depended on it.

Awww...you probably just got all offended when they pointed a spotlight on you during "In the Flesh".
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #95 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Rubbish

Nice one word response. Can't do any better than that?

See ya
Steve

Jul 29, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #96 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
Nice one word response. Can't do any better than that?

See ya
Steve

Less is more. (and yes I can do a lot better than that if It's an interesting / sensible post I'm replying to)

Jul 29, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #97 of 120
Have you seen Pink Floyd live? (overdubbed/sweetened videos don't count...) Being generous, I'd have to say at best, they sound just like the record. (...and as I discovered there was a darn good reason for that.) It's ok to put together an album like a jigsaw puzzle piece by piece, but if your music doesn't translate to something you are able to perform live, you shouldn't charge people money to see you pretend to play it.

Supertramp was the perfect example of a band who could play their music but still were lousy live... They perfectly reproduced everything on the record without resorting to tapes... but they didn't do anything beyond what was on the records. I can stay home and listen to the record and look at a picture of the band and get that.

Some bands have the chops to play live and improvise, and others don't. I'm sure at the Wall concert a bongload would have made me dumb enough to overlook it and enjoy the giant blowup dolls, but I happened to have gone to see them for the music... my error. In any case, this thread is about the worst Pink Floyd album... and I simply was telling about the worst Pink Floyd concert I had ever attended.

See ya
Steve

Jul 29, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #98 of 120
I'll just go on record as saying LOTS of people i trust disagree with you on the quality of floyd live performances, and the bootlegs I have agree with them. Several of my friends have seen multiple hundred live concerts, and list the 70s floyd concerts at the VERY top of their list. So, as always, mileage varies.

Jul 30, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #99 of 120
I go to live shows for a variety of reasons:

- to be entertained in a Cirque du Soleil/spectacle/lots-of-stuff-going-on-on-stage kind of way (cf. Pet Shop Boys, Pink Floyd);
- to watch charismatic performers perform (cf. The Church, Afghan Whigs, Pink Floyd, Tori Amos, Rush);
- to listen to good music really really loud (cf. Pink Floyd, Tangerine Dream);
- to hear "live" versions of their songs (cf. Led Zeppelin, Joe Walsh, Notwist);
- to see multimedia stuff going on while the band plays (cf. Kraftwerk, Sigur Ros, Rush);
- to be with people who like the same kind of music that I do (cf. pretty much everything);
- to have fun (cf. Mouse On Mars);
- to get drunk (well...maybe not me, but I'm sure that others do).

Yeah, Pink Floyd is not exactly famous for doing alternate versions of some of their songs, but you know what? That one Pink Floyd concert I went to is still the best concert I will have ever seen in my entire life.

Jul 30, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #100 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
I'll just go on record as saying LOTS of people i trust disagree with you on the quality of floyd live performances, and the bootlegs I have agree with them. Several of my friends have seen multiple hundred live concerts, and list the 70s floyd concerts at the VERY top of their list. So, as always, mileage varies.

Yup, I've seen them on many occasions and trust me they do not mime. That has to be the biggest insult to the band ever insinuating their live performances are tapes with them miming..... absolute 100% BS.

Jul 30, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #101 of 120
The concert I attended was right after the Wall was released. Perhaps they learned the music better by later on in the tour.

See ya
Steve

Jul 30, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #102 of 120
With all the dramatically contrasting opinions, it seems clear to me the only real parallel in the world of rock music is Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem.

Like in "Can you picture that" when Dr. Teeth sings the opening verse, he sings in his wild, emotional-roller-coaster style of his - but then he hands it off to Floyd who sends it back to Cali with his hip/be-bop cool.

It takes that kind of team work between performers, like in Pink Floyd's better stuff, to really find synergy. If Roger takes over for David, you get overly raw, awkward emotion. Just like when David takes over you get *gulp* Division Bell.

That's the lesson the Electric Mayhem have for us all.

tongue.gif

Aug 1, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #104 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
^^^^Well....I thought it was funny.

Maybe there are no muppet fans here?

most of us ARE waldorf and stettler, so that would surprise me
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #105 of 120
I voted Final Cut as Pink Floyd's worst album. It doesn't rate much higher than some of the RW solo crap released after his departure of PF.

Basically, there seems to be two schools of thought on the matter, 1) Those (like headfi member Pink Floyd), who would like to have RW's manbabies and hate David Gilmour. Those love FC and describe the POS as a marvelous piece of music that only their advanced musical taste can appreciate
rolleyes.gif
They also usually hate anything released by Pink Floyd after RW's departure. and 2) Those who love Pink Floyd and can recognize good music when they hear it!

tongue.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

[edit] But seriously, without adopting the 'ass' tone like many have already done in this thread, by everyone's admission, the Final Cut is basically a RW solo album containing a collection of songs that did not make it on The Wall album...

If you love RW & his solo albums, you'll probably love FC, but if you aren't a big fan of solo RW (you aren't crazy about Pros & Cons and Radio Kaos), you probably won't like FC and will probably prefer Momentary Laps and the Division Bell as they have a more Floydian sound.

It also depends how you see "Pink Floyd"... What I love the most about PF is their ability to creat "musical landscapes". Its as if you're not just listening to a singer, guitarist drummer, etc.. You're transported to all these different worlds..

This essence was captured in Momentary lapse, Division Bell, The Wall, DSotM, Meddle, WYWH, etc.. or RW's Amused to death, but Final Cut... FC brings you nowhere.. well not me at least.. It just doesn't touch me... It doesn't have the emotion of On the turning Away, wish you were here, the great gig in the sky. It has no 'scenery' like Marooned, Signs of life, Shine on you CD, Pigs, etc..

Its too much like RW's pros & cons or Radio Kaos, which to me, doesn't have the Floyd melodies, musicalscapes, scope, etc.. Just doesn't have that magic like RW's Amused to Death or the other PF albums.. Its like a rehash of The Wall, without everything which made The Wall what it was...

all IMHO. Your tastes may differ, by plz people don't try to sound like arrogant asses while giving your own little humble opinions! *wink* to headfi member pink floyd
wink.gif
tongue.gif

[edit2] And to go back to a point Aman was making, to me, lyrics are secondary. If the music doesn't touch me first, I won't bother reading/understanding the lyrics.. If the music touches me, then I'll read the lyrics, and if they're great, great, if they're not, its really not that important. For me, when listening to music, music is most important. I guess you could say I'm more of a music guy than a lyrics guy... Most of the times I can't even make out the words being sung anyhow
tongue.gif
So FC could have the greatest lyrics ever written, if I can't make out what they are and the music doesn't do anything for me, I probably won't even bother to check them out... Which is exactly what happened, I don't think I've ever pulled the booklet from the cd...

In the end, there are much better mediums than music for stories, poetry, etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back