WORST headphone you ever heard?
Jan 30, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #511 of 1,786
Quote:
AKG 240M.  

Unmatched drivers impacts soundstage (mono frequency sweep reveals left/right shift from upper mid-range and up) with one audio dropout below where you'd normally hear a cymbol crash, and another notch just above that.

After purchasing Beyerdynamic 990 Pro's, I gave away the AKG's (Good riddance!)

Sounds like you had a defective driver. 
size]

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #513 of 1,786
Aside from all the cheap generic junk I have heard over the years, what I would consider the worst actual headphone I have heard is also the best I have heard strangely enough, as it had more to do with source rather then anything else.

It my set of HD800's out of my friends sound card. 

His sound card was some Asus model with a built in headphone amp, but dear god it was bad!
The treble was very 'tin-ny', thin and piercing and everything else just seemed recessed in comparison. My friend who hadn't heard the HD800's before thought they were terrible and I didn't understand why until I put them on.

After that epically bad audition I let my friend try them out of my dac/amp and I saw a huge smile emerge on his face. In the end he left with a  very good impression of the HD800.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #514 of 1,786
How can a pair of headphones be made for uner $6 lol? I just purchased a $10 pair of Behringer HPM1000's in addition to a new TT stylus and cleaning brush to make me eligible for free shipping costs. So, while they actually were a bit better than I thought they would be, I believe I was still ripped off at $10.

Not only are they being made for under $6 but both the retailer and wholesaler are making money off these.

Seriously. I almost want to try them to see what a couple of penny's-worth of plastic and metal can produce sound-wise, but then again I'll probably end up spending more on shipping than I actually would the product itself ha.

Well, in that regard, those things are a real feat of low cost manufacturing!! And certainly, for that price, it's amazing they even sound at all lol

If you ever find them, give 'em a listen, you'll have a good laugh! :)

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #515 of 1,786
[size=2em] Philips O’Neill Specked Earbuds - So very mid centric and bad its not even funny. Look great though.[/size]
[size=2em]  [/size]
[size=2em]  [/size]
[size=2em]  [/size]

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #516 of 1,786
Quote:
Aside from all the cheap generic junk I have heard over the years, what I would consider the worst actual headphone I have heard is also the best I have heard strangely enough, as it had more to do with source rather then anything else.

It my set of HD800's out of my friends sound card. 

His sound card was some Asus model with a built in headphone amp, but dear god it was bad!
The treble was very 'tin-ny', thin and piercing and everything else just seemed recessed in comparison. My friend who hadn't heard the HD800's before thought they were terrible and I didn't understand why until I put them on.

After that epically bad audition I let my friend try them out of my dac/amp and I saw a huge smile emerge on his face. In the end he left with a  very good impression of the HD800.

Asus Xonar Essence STX - change the I/V opamps to THS4032 and try again 
size]
 should be better - but WON'T touch a proper dedicated amp

Feb 1, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #517 of 1,786
Skullcandy skullcrushers I bought them before I knew about (real headphones ) they had a huge bass so big you could hear nothing else eventually the built in woofers rattled themselves to death so they sounded like a library headphone for about a week before they gave out completely.

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #519 of 1,786
Skullcandy skullcrushers I bought them before I knew about (real headphones ) they had a huge bass so big you could hear nothing else eventually the built in woofers rattled themselves to death so they sounded like a library headphone for about a week before they gave out completely.

They're actually not very bassy at all. They have vibrators in them that simulate bass.

Feb 1, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #520 of 1,786
For me, it was the Edition 8's. I don't actually own them, but I listened to my uncle's pair. They just sounded weird to me, kind of like the music wasn't coming from the right location. Of course I've heard worse, but you expect those to be terrible. I was expecting these to be some sort of revelation for me, haha.Seeing as the best pair of headphones I've ever owned are the Brainwavz HM3(which I love), I may have no clue what I'm talking about.

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #522 of 1,786
$10 dollar Sony earbuds.

I forgot my headphones when out studying for finals. Decided to walk across the street to buy a set of cheap sonys to study with. After 15 minutes I never used them again. I know for ten bucks you dont get awesome quality, but I expected at least a bearable sound.

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #524 of 1,786
Quote:

Oh that is probably why the bass sounded so much like farts I thought the bass was just low quality or something.... makes sense though.

spin up time and spin down time = worst bass response of all time, and longest decay ever

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #525 of 1,786
I got these Phillips earbuds for like 6 bucks when I was like 13 or 14.  I think that was the start of my audio journey because at the time I remember thinking about how bad they sounded, so I got a pair of $50 Sony in-ears so I wouldn't have to deal with such harsh ****

They were also really uncomfortable 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back