WORST headphone you ever heard?
Jan 24, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #466 of 1,786
Quote:

Huh. I loved the HD280 when I heard it..

I found it just too flat across the spectrum.  kick drums lacked impact when the mallet hit the skin.  Mids were cold, distant, sterile and I thought lacked life and energy.  Not too many headphones can make an SRV guitar solo flat and lifeless... but the HD280 does. IMHO of course.  Treble sparkled nicely and was ambient and lively, but this combined with the lack of midrange excitement / energy made for a very strange presentation.  Like the drummer was hitting his crash cymbals and high hat 2-3 times harder than his snare and toms.

IMHO of course

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #468 of 1,786
Quote:
I found it just too flat across the spectrum.  kick drums lacked impact when the mallet hit the skin.  Mids were cold, distant, sterile and I thought lacked life and energy.  Not too many headphones can make an SRV guitar solo flat and lifeless... but the HD280 does. IMHO of course.  Treble sparkled nicely and was ambient and lively, but this combined with the lack of midrange excitement / energy made for a very strange presentation.  Like the drummer was hitting his crash cymbals and high hat 2-3 times harder than his snare and toms.

IMHO of course

Yeah, I know what you mean. I personally liked the cold sound signature of the 280. But, that's me.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #469 of 1,786
Quote:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I personally liked the cold sound signature of the 280. But, that's me.

I'd like to give them a second try though some day.  Its probably a sound signature that could work very well with certain types of music.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #470 of 1,786
Quote:
In no particular order...

HD280
AE1 (original triprot)

I remember loving the AE1, but this was back when I was very inexperienced and didn't have any other headphones.
I used that thing for years straight, but got sick of it breaking.

Tried it again recently and found it a bit tinny sounding and having too much treble(!)

It turns out that the first time I used it, I was using it with a VERY warm portable CD player. It's basically like a SCPH-1001/PS1 in a cd player form.
I need to try that again. My AE1 I gave to my mom and she loves it. I keep trying to give her better headphones, but they're too big she says.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #471 of 1,786
The HD280 are incredible headphones. Flat, neutral, and have some deep bass. Comfortable if you have a huge head like I do. Great for playing loud. Love them. There's a reason why they're universally recommended. Not to mention they obliterate the horrendously overrated M50.

Fact, no info.

My brother's Skullcandy Skullcrushers are so bad even he thinks they're terrible.

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #473 of 1,786
Quote:
The HD280 are incredible headphones. Flat, neutral, and have some deep bass. Comfortable if you have a huge head like I do. Great for playing loud. Love them. There's a reason why they're universally recommended. Not to mention they obliterate the horrendously overrated M50.

Fact, no info.

My brother's Skullcandy Skullcrushers are so bad even he thinks they're terrible.

BT SKELLCRUSHRZ HAV SO MUCH BAES IT CAN VIBRAT OFF OF A TABEL

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #474 of 1,786
Well, the HD280 is not really the worst headphone I have heard.  I'm ruling out the OEM included player junk-cans, ibuds, beats fart cannons, anything on a display demo-stand at Best Buy...etc.  I mean this is Head-Fi right?, no one is really here to discuss apple buds.  So, if you wanted to include rubbish-cans in the discussion, in that landscape the 280 is a really good headphone overall, and FAR FROM the worst headphone I have ever heard.

And as I said above I'll probably give them a second shot some day, I think I probably could enjoy them for their isolation with certain types of music.  My musical preferences/tastes have also changed a lot since I last owned one 5-6 years ago.

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #476 of 1,786
After trying out some more headphones, I must say that the V-Moda LP are the worst 'good' headphone I've tried. 
They are WAY too boomy with their gigantic mid-bass hump.

Built well, but sound crappy.

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #477 of 1,786
Quote:
Worst must be my fake Beats By Dr. Dre.. they don't even play any bass. I am curious myself why they still takes shelf room at home. Will do something about that as soon as I can..

blow it up in an extraordinary  way
and film it
post on head-fi
??????????????
profit

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #478 of 1,786
Quote:
After trying out some more headphones, I must say that the V-Moda LP are the worst 'good' headphone I've tried. 
They are WAY too boomy with their gigantic mid-bass hump.

Built well, but sound crappy.

they were made for live performances in clubs. The sound is supposed to match club speakers, and the durability is made for DJ's that are rough on there gear

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #479 of 1,786
Quote:
blow it up in an extraordinary  way
and film it
post on head-fi
??????????????
profit

Uhm might just burn them perhaps. Or give them to a "friend" 
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back