WORST headphone you ever heard?
Feb 28, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #1,171 of 1,786
Alright, let's try something a little bit different.

The worst headphone I ever heard was the Audio Technica ATH-M50s. They were bulky, heavy, had little to no isolation, lacked much of the low-mid range, the soundstage sounded shallow and the cable is too long. I would not use it as my daily driver.

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #1,172 of 1,786
For me, as long as there isn't piercing upper mid harshness, outright distortion, or toilet bowl hollow sound, I can pretty much enjoy any headphone. Even some dollar store items, or the $4 rocketfish ones from Best Buy which aren't horrible. But the worst I heard were the stock buds that came with my ZuneHD. Just flat midrange smashed up against your ears! No highs, no lows, I thought they were Bose!

I assume this is for the rhyme?  I thought Bose had ONLY highs and lows..... and no mids.

Alright, let's try something a little bit different.

The worst headphone I ever heard was the Audio Technica ATH-M50s. They were bulky, heavy, had little to no isolation, lacked much of the low-mid range, the soundstage sounded shallow and the cable is too long. I would not use it as my daily driver.

These were my first on my climb up the ladder.  Sold them on the second rung.

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #1,173 of 1,786
No, that's the rhyme. Its in reference to the wildly popular Bose 901 speakers in the 70s which, without the pack in active equalizer had no highs or lows due to their use of 9 4.5" drivers per cabinet.

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #1,174 of 1,786
  No, that's the rhyme. Its in reference to the wildly popular Bose 901 speakers in the 70s which, without the pack in active equalizer had no highs or lows due to their use of 9 4.5" drivers per cabinet.

There's a good reason that the 901 is worth absolutely nothing on Craigslist or eBay unless the equalizer comes with it. Very true.

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #1,177 of 1,786
Last year an asian colleague has left the company I'm working for.

I saw him few weeks back.
As he knew I was into headphones, he shows me those dr Dre, telling me to have "an ear".

The guy is originally from China, and when I've heard those headphones, I've told him the real one should not sounds better than this replica.
I was sure it was a replica, as the guy is wearing fakes...from polo shirt to watches.

Thing is, it was not a replica. He has been offered a Monster Beat dr dre when he left my company, i did not know anything about that.

He sent me an email last week, telling me the plastic headband has been broken.

I've been told Monster has stopped making the Dr Dre headphones.

Don't know if it has something to do with that crappy sound I've heard, but given the price of those headphones, I might say it has the worst price/quality ratio I've ever seen.

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #1,178 of 1,786
Stock Samsung ear buds
They sound extremely hollow. Its much worse than anything else I've tried

Hum, I've both ear buds from Apple and from Samsung...to me both are equally catastrophics.

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #1,180 of 1,786
  Has everyone forgotten about the airline headphones? MUCH worse than Apple earbuds...

I don't count those. Or any product that comes stock with a device that isn't sold separately. Obviously they're terrible, they're a cheap afterthought.

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #1,183 of 1,786
Stock Samsung ear buds
They sound extremely hollow. Its much worse than anything else I've tried

There are a number of stock Samsung earbuds. I find the ones that came with the S3 and S4 to be OK for freebies.

My favorite pair of stock Samsungs are these ones:

15 mm drivers, non-IEM design and Android-compatible inline controls. Plus they have a shiny bass reflex port!

Speaking of Samsung portable audio transducers, Samsung released a few new circumaural and supra-aural headphones. They look pretty nice! But because they were only revealed in glass cases, the sound quality hasn't been reviewed yet.

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #1,184 of 1,786
The Beyer DT990. Don't get me wrong, I know that some people really like them. It's just that I hate emphasized treble and happened to pair it with the Apex Glacier.

The Sony MDR-XB600s I auditioned in an airport store (also with the Glacier) are bad in a different way. Fat flabby bass obscuring the lower-mids - no thanks!

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #1,185 of 1,786
There's a good reason that the 901 is worth absolutely nothing on Craigslist or eBay unless the equalizer comes with it. Very true.

Speaking of the Bose 901 I have the Bose 901 Continental series II with the active equalizer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back