Woo WA22
May 27, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #46 of 322
I'm really curious how the single ended WA22 compares to the WA5LE and whether a balanced headphone on the WA22 will be able to beat out the WA5LE. I hope someone attending CanJam can do these comparisons as I'm debating between the two amplifiers.

May 28, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #47 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's at the top of the WA22 page. It says" Pre-production unit shown, 6SN7 driver tubes will be used in production unit"

Indeed it does.
smily_headphones1.gif
Certainly lots of good choices open up as a result, my personal amp uses the same tube compliment (although in a different topology) and I have no complaints.

Jun 10, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #48 of 322
For what it's worth, I tried the WA22 and it is very very good (although this was in meet conditions and I didn't listen very long). I am not sure that it is better than the WA5LE though. I tried both at CanJam and preferred the WA5 (perhaps because I own and love the WA5LE though). However, I tried the (Jack and mikeymad's) WA5 and WA22 with different cans: WA5 with HD800, CD5000, D7000, L5000 as well as some other cans but only tried the Wa22 with a HD600/650 or K701 (can't remember). They also had different sources (the sources for the WA5's were superior to the source to the WA22). I think it is a no-brainer if you want a balanced tube amp in my opinion. It is sweet and a great price!

By the way (since I was confused by the number at first), the WA22 is not based on the WA2, it is more similar to the WA6SE according to Jack.

img1877.jpg

img1878e.jpg

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #52 of 322
and sound beautiful too IMO

Jun 27, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #53 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think many Head-Fiers would gladly sacrifice that for the 4-pin XLR (K1000) and 1/4" phone jack!

To be changed for production unit:

* Use one volume control instead of one per channel
* Add one 4-pin XLR output
* Add one 1/4" phone jack output (single-ended)

Wait, wait, wait. The WA22 can power the K1000? Or will it simply be using the same type of connector?

Jul 8, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #54 of 322
any rear shots of the amp? does the amp have pre-amp output?

Jul 8, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #57 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For what it's worth, I tried the WA22 and it is very very good (although this was in meet conditions and I didn't listen very long). I am not sure that it is better than the WA5LE though. I tried both at CanJam and preferred the WA5 (perhaps because I own and love the WA5LE though). However, I tried the (Jack and mikeymad's) WA5 and WA22 with different cans: WA5 with HD800, CD5000, D7000, L5000 as well as some other cans but only tried the Wa22 with a HD600/650 or K701 (can't remember). They also had different sources (the sources for the WA5's were superior to the source to the WA22). I think it is a no-brainer if you want a balanced tube amp in my opinion. It is sweet and a great price!

By the way (since I was confused by the number at first), the WA22 is not based on the WA2, it is more similar to the WA6SE according to Jack.

I totally agree with your improessions Shelly.

I spent 15 minutes or so with each of these amps at CanJam on Sunday afternoon. At the point that I rolled through, the WA5 max was paired with HD800's and K1000's (the source was an Arcam CDP), and the WA22 was setup with a pair of balanced HD650's (with a delicate looking Woo Audio cable labeled "prototype" - can't recall the source).

Both distinctly ranked among my favorites of the weekend, but with respect to the WA22/WA5 comparison, I'd have to give the nod to the WA5 max -> HD800 combo for pure, lush all-consuming enjoyment. I threw on a live choral recording of "O Vos Omnes," closed my eyes, and just reveled in width and depth the sound. To my ears, this combo was really only rivaled by Todd's fabulous 307A -> Grado PS1000 setup.

That said, I'd still kill to have a WA22 - and there's no good way to know the full potential of this amp until we all hear it with balanced HD800's. I can easily say though that I have never heard the HD650's sound so good, so resolved, and so involving (and I listen to a pair at home nightly). In fact, while it may be pure heresy to say it (and may also reveal my bias towards the resonant bass reproduction in dynamic cans), I think I preferred the WA22 -> balanced HD650 setup to any and all of the electrostatic rigs I listened to at CanJam, including but not limited to Woo's new prototype.

I will definitely be looking forward to reading further impressions of this amp - and dreaming of getting my hands on one some day.

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #59 of 322
Has anyone heard this and a EHHA and could compare the sound? This thing is just beautiful.

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #60 of 322
I just wanted to bump this thread. A reputable American company announces a (relatively) affordable balanced tube amp, and nobody cares. But when the latest FOTM Chinese thing comes out, everyone wets their diapers? Why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back