Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations
May 25, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #316 of 1,192
  Hi guys...
Anyone ever tried/used WA2 as pre amps before ?
I have Alo PanAm, will the pair work ?
Don't want to experiment it just in case someone had tried it before and destroy them.

Really appreciate the input. 

For me, the WA2 is a superb headphone amp, and an OK-but-nothing-more preamp. As a headphone amp, it drives my T1s beautifully. As a preamp, it creates a rather diffuse soundstage, and is a bit too loose in lower frequencies, and a bit noisy. Maybe this is due to the particular tubes, maybe to the interaction between the Woo and my amp -- in other words, for other users driving other amps, the WA2 might perform very well as a preamp. I'm content to appreciate it as an exceptionally fine headphone amp.

May 25, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #317 of 1,192
Replying to my own post -- on recommendation from Brent Jesse (audiotubes.com), bought a pair of NOS Raytheon 6080, with the nickel base and the white “ceramic” (Bakelite) bottom. Very pleased with them -- electronically and mechanically quiet, and oh, yeah, musically very satisfying as well.

May 25, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #318 of 1,192
  Replying to my own post -- on recommendation from Brent Jesse (audiotubes.com), bought a pair of NOS Raytheon 6080, with the nickel base and the white “ceramic” (Bakelite) bottom. Very pleased with them -- electronically and mechanically quiet, and oh, yeah, musically very satisfying as well.

Congrats on your Raytheon find.  If you get a chance (and can find them) give the Tung Sol 5998's a try.  To me a whole different amp with the 5998's.  More powerful, more defined, more layered soundstage...still smooth as silk.  But you know how it goes, that's just me.  Your results may vary.

May 25, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #319 of 1,192

Congrats on your Raytheon find.  If you get a chance (and can find them) give the Tung Sol 5998's a try.  To me a whole different amp with the 5998's.  More powerful, more defined, more layered soundstage...still smooth as silk.  But you know how it goes, that's just me.  Your results may vary.

Thanks for the recommendation -- "and can find them" -- ah, there's the rub -- those TS 5998s are elusive. I'll keep an eye peeled, but for now, happy with the Raytheons.

May 26, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #320 of 1,192

Those Raytheons are very nice tubes.

Have spoken to Brent Jesse various times through the years as well as purchasing my tube tester from him years ago.  Great interactions and great service!

If you like the 6080:

Tung Sol 6080WB

Bendix 6080WB

Cheers!

May 26, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #321 of 1,192

For me, the WA2 is a superb headphone amp, and an OK-but-nothing-more preamp. As a headphone amp, it drives my T1s beautifully. As a preamp, it creates a rather diffuse soundstage, and is a bit too loose in lower frequencies, and a bit noisy. Maybe this is due to the particular tubes, maybe to the interaction between the Woo and my amp -- in other words, for other users driving other amps, the WA2 might perform very well as a preamp. I'm content to appreciate it as an exceptionally fine headphone amp.

Finally tried it and it sucks...
basshead.gif

I think the Alo PanAm power is too low for this setup.
The sound in the right channel in low to mid volume was non existent...only high volume it comes out and make the whole sound distorted like hell.

I thought it will make Alo PanAm sound better with my LCD-2 and XC :):)
Well, its worth the try.

I just have to accept the facts that Wo Wa2 is really the amps for T1...both my Audeze sound inferior with it compare to T1 :frowning2:.

May 28, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #322 of 1,192

VERY hard to find Tung Sol 5998s -- so, if you had to pick a second and third choice, which tubes would you nominate? (Driving Beyerdynamic T1s.) Thanks!

May 28, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #323 of 1,192
$85 @ http://www.vacuumtubes.net/RES%20Audio%20pages/5998.html  , Tejas tubes is a bit higher, EBAY prices come and go.

To my ear, GEC 6AS7G are the best I've heard. 5998/2399/421A would follow, with Tung-Sol 7236s after that. I'm not a fan of 6080s, though I haven't heard them all.

May 28, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #324 of 1,192
Vacuumtubes.net is out of them and I spoke to one of their owners and he didn't expect any in soon. That being said I'd agree with Stan's assessment but that's just from what I've read.
I'd just advise to be vigilant...the 5998's do show up. A Head-Fi buddy just found 3 NOS 5998's for $100 a piece but that seller is now sold out as well.

May 28, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #325 of 1,192
  $85 @ http://www.vacuumtubes.net/RES%20Audio%20pages/5998.html  , Tejas tubes is a bit higher, EBAY prices come and go.

To my ear, GEC 6AS7G are the best I've heard. 5998/2399/421A would follow, with Tung-Sol 7236s after that. I'm not a fan of 6080s, though I haven't heard them all.

I just called Dale at vacuumtubes.net and unfortunately he says he has only a couple left that were returned by a customer who found them to be very microphonic.

Thanks for the other suggestions.

May 29, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #326 of 1,192
I've listed 4 NOS pairs of great and very hard-to-find EZ80 and EZ81 rectifiers for the WA2 on the For Sale Forum if anyone's  looking.  All low hours and perfect working order.  They're all listed in the Philips Miniwatt Sittard post.
(Philips Miniwatt Sittard, Brimar and Valvo)

May 30, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #328 of 1,192
  Forgive my naivete, but is the Chatham 2399 identical to the Tung Sol 5998? They are often referred to as though one and the same. Thanks to more knowledgeable head-fiers for your guidance.

Quote from another site (not my quote):

"All of the 5998s were manufactured by Tung-Sol, regardless of what name appears on the tube. I believe this is true even for versions numbered 2399 - it was just that different manufacturers rebadged the Tung-Sol tubes with different numbers.

The differences in structure/manufacturing are probably just due to the tubes being produced at different times/years, when subtle changes in structure were made by Tung-Sol over the life of the product. I would expect the sound to be identical. I have several Tung-Sol 5998s and Chatham 2399s and haven't noticed any material differences."

May 30, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #329 of 1,192
  Forgive my naivete, but is the Chatham 2399 identical to the Tung Sol 5998? They are often referred to as though one and the same. Thanks to more knowledgeable head-fiers for your guidance.

I have both and they sure look and sound the same to me.

May 30, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #330 of 1,192
same tube as far as i know.

you can even add Western Electric 421A to that list as well 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back