Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations
May 30, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #331 of 1,192
  same tube as far as i know.

you can even add Western Electric 421A to that list as well 
wink.gif

+1

May 31, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #334 of 1,192
I have my Wa2 in pre-amp mode to my airmotiv 6s w/ the bass set to -4db and the bass is still too over powering.

Any recondition on tubes to level the bass?

May 31, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #335 of 1,192
I have my Wa2 in pre-amp mode to my airmotiv 6s w/ the bass set to -4db and the bass is still too over powering.

Any recondition on tubes to level the bass?

Not meaning to state the obvious, but have you already adjusted the EQ controls on the back of your airmotiv monitors? From the owner's manual:

Low-frequency Equalization
The Low-frequency Equalization control is intended mainly to compensate for the
“boundary effect” that increases bass output when a speaker is placed near one or
more surfaces or corners.
On the airmotiv, this control affects mainly frequencies below 150 Hz and offers a
maximum reduction of -2 dB or -4 dB at 20 Hz.
If you notice excessive or “muddy” bass, especially if your airmotiv monitors are placed
near large surfaces or room corners, try setting the Low-frequency Equalization to
-2 dB or -4 dB.

May 31, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #336 of 1,192

Not meaning to state the obvious, but have you already adjusted the EQ controls on the back of your airmotiv monitors? From the owner's manual:

Low-frequency Equalization
The Low-frequency Equalization control is intended mainly to compensate for the
“boundary effect” that increases bass output when a speaker is placed near one or
more surfaces or corners.
On the airmotiv, this control affects mainly frequencies below 150 Hz and offers a
maximum reduction of -2 dB or -4 dB at 20 Hz.
If you notice excessive or “muddy” bass, especially if your airmotiv monitors are placed
near large surfaces or room corners, try setting the Low-frequency Equalization to
-2 dB or -4 dB.

Never mind, I see you said "set to -4 dB." What tubes are now in your Woo?

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #338 of 1,192
Hi All,
With Tung Sol 7236 (bought from Woo) and other tubes using stock, with AK240 as source and T1 as cans, my WA2 start giving noise/buzzing at 10 o'clock volume...anybody experience the same ?
Is it normal ?
Below 10 o'clock its dead quiet, fortunately I never listen at more than 9 or 9 1/2.
Just curious.

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #340 of 1,192
Anak,
No, that's definitely not normal. Sounds like a tube is a likely culprit. Do you have any alternate tubes you know are quiet so you can cycle through and figure out exactly what tube (assuming it is one) is causing the problem?

May I know what kind of tubes you are using in your WA2?
Currently I only got stock from Woo and the 7236, my Sylvania 7308 also just arrive and when I use it the buzz is still there.
I have 6AS7 and 6dj8 on the way, will try them on once they arrive to see if the buzz gone.

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #341 of 1,192
Sounds like a ground loop, does it buzz with the source disconnected?

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #342 of 1,192
TS 5998
Siemens E88CC
Mullard EZ80

In a few recent posts in this thread (including one of mine), you'll see that for some users, while the Woo excels as a headphone amp, it doesn't always work well as a preamp. When I tried it as a preamp, I found the bass loose and wooly. I didn't do a lot of tube rolling to try to change the way the Woo sounds with speakers because it sounds so darned good with my headphones. That said, if you want to experiment, you might try a pair of RFT EZ80 in place of the Mullard rectifiers, though I'd anticipate that while this change might make a subtle difference, it won't necessarily clear up your bass problem. I haven't rolled enough 6DJ8 tubes to tell you whether there's an option that might offer lighter, tighter bass while still having all the virtues of your Siemens E88CC -- a tube I'd be reluctant to replace. And I wouldn't even think about changing out the TS 5998.

Maybe instead of changing out the tubes, since you have a killer combo in the amp now, try putting the speakers on some isolation cones, or loosely stuffing the port on the back with some batting or some material like this: http://www.amazon.com/WEB-WVENT-Vent-Register-Filters/dp/B000BWKMI2

Hope you can make it work!

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #343 of 1,192

In a few recent posts in this thread (including one of mine), you'll see that for some users, while the Woo excels as a headphone amp, it doesn't always work well as a preamp. When I tried it as a preamp, I found the bass loose and wooly. I didn't do a lot of tube rolling to try to change the way the Woo sounds with speakers because it sounds so darned good with my headphones. That said, if you want to experiment, you might try a pair of RFT EZ80 in place of the Mullard rectifiers, though I'd anticipate that while this change might make a subtle difference, it won't necessarily clear up your bass problem. I haven't rolled enough 6DJ8 tubes to tell you whether there's an option that might offer lighter, tighter bass while still having all the virtues of your Siemens E88CC -- a tube I'd be reluctant to replace. And I wouldn't even think about changing out the TS 5998.

Maybe instead of changing out the tubes, since you have a killer combo in the amp now, try putting the speakers on some isolation cones, or loosely stuffing the port on the back with some batting or some material like this: http://www.amazon.com/WEB-WVENT-Vent-Register-Filters/dp/B000BWKMI2

+1

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #344 of 1,192
I'm using Tung Sol 7236s, Amperex 7308s, and Philips Miniwatt EZ81s. It may, as GrindingThud suggests, be a ground loop problem--though in my expereince ground loop noise happens even at low volumes. If you go back a few pages in this conversation, you'll see that a number of us experienced similar problems when we first received our WA2. Woo Audio tried to address the matter by switching out stock tubes that had a high failure (I mean noise) rate, like the Electro-Harmonix 6922s. The real shame here, I think, is that Woo Audio doesn't appear to be testing their $1200 amps with the stock tubes installed before shipping the amp and tubes to customers. And when a customer then has to deal with a faulty tube problem with their new amp, spending who knows how many hours diagnosing it, not to mention having to spend still more money on tubes or isolated power supplies or whatever to diagnose and fix the problem, Woo Audio acts like it's no big deal, and just one of those things. If the WA2 weren't such a glorious amp . . .

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #345 of 1,192

I'll try to get a pair of RFT EZ80. My speaker stands have spiked feet but I'll try the port thing.

Thanks for the info

Users who are viewing this thread

Back