Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations
Mar 10, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #301 of 1,192
Just got my WA2 less than a week ago and am loving it with my Beyerdynamic T1's.  Am running Tung Sol 5998's, Philips Sittard EZ80's and have tried a series of very nice 6922 variants.  My  favorite has been Philips Miniwatt E188CC's.  I've tried Siemens Cca A-Frames from the 70's and a pair of 60's S&H E88CC Gray Shields.  Both Siemens pairs seem a little recessed in the mids and just a touch edgier in the treble region than I'd like.  The Miniwatt E188CC's are beautiful across the spectrum.  Wondered if anyone with T1's has a suggestion for a warmer or 'tubier' sounding 6922 for variety.  Maybe some Mullard pair or other possibilities.  I'd welcome any recommendations. 
Thanks and it's great to be on board with you Woo fans.

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #302 of 1,192
  Just got my WA2 less than a week ago and am loving it with my Beyerdynamic T1's.  Am running Tung Sol 5998's, Philips Sittard EZ80's and have tried a series of very nice 6922 variants.  My  favorite has been Philips Miniwatt E188CC's.  I've tried Siemens Cca A-Frames from the 70's and a pair of 60's S&H E88CC Gray Shields.  Both Siemens pairs seem a little recessed in the mids and just a touch edgier in the treble region than I'd like.  The Miniwatt E188CC's are beautiful across the spectrum.  Wondered if anyone with T1's has a suggestion for a warmer or 'tubier' sounding 6922 for variety.  Maybe some Mullard pair or other possibilities.  I'd welcome any recommendations. 
Thanks and it's great to be on board with you Woo fans.

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #304 of 1,192
Would like people's thoughts on comparing
the Western Electric 421A vs the GEC 6AS7G...especially as it relates
to the T1's on the WA2.  I'm currently running Tung Sol 5998's.
Thanks.

Mar 12, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #305 of 1,192
To me, 421A sounds near identical to the 5998. They bias the same in my amp and swing about the same voltage. Nice quiet tube. The GEC is a 6AS7 and sounds similar to most 6AS7. They are each best in breed for their respective types and tend to be quieter, better balanced, and have better soundstage because of it.

Would like people's thoughts on comparing
the Western Electric 421A vs the GEC 6AS7G...especially as it relates
to the T1's on the WA2.  I'm currently running Tung Sol 5998's.
Thanks.

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #306 of 1,192
Also join the Woo club yesterday the WA2 shure is a looker i love it . But one thing i found out fast enough is that it doesnt like 25 ohms Denons music was distorted but with Senns hd800 sounds good. Did not read the thread yet so tube wise will see whats decent and affordable with amp tubes i have that came with amp are                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Power tubes = Chatham 2399 and Sylvania 6AS7GA , Svetlana 6H13C  on the way                                                                                                        
Drivers = Electro Harmonix 6922 ,Siemens E88CC, amperex orange globes 6DJ8, bugle boys6DJ8.Westinghouse 6BQ7A,RCA, 6BQ7A and Russian  6N23P.   already using these tubes with Littledot mk3 amp  with an adapter                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Rectifier = Electro Harmonix 6CA4, Telefunken EZ80,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        So would they be other nice sounding tubes i could try  just started sampling the ones mentionned above .Thanks                                                                                                                                         

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #308 of 1,192
  Just a word to the wise. the Siemens E88CC are not rectifiers. Do not use them in the rectifier slot. Big problems will ensue. Enjoy your new Woo!

Oups wrong columm

May 17, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #309 of 1,192
Just got a WA2, used in great shape. Came with stock Westinghouse 6080 tubes, which seller said were unused as he had replaced them with NOS. Both of the Westinghouse 6080s are completely microphonic and very noisy. I tried a pair of RCA 6AS7G tubes -- again, completely microphonic and one has low-level buzzing. I've checked the driver and rectifier tubes in the amp, and they're fine. So, can anyone recommend a quiet, non-microphonic 6080 (or equivalent)? I'd like to hear what this Woo can do! Thanks.

May 18, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #310 of 1,192
Hi all,
Just got a used Wa2, anyone willing/thinking to sell their spare Tung Sol 5998 please pm me will you 
L3000.gif

Thanks

May 19, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #311 of 1,192
Hi all,
Just got a used Wa2, anyone willing/thinking to sell their spare Tung Sol 5998 please pm me will you :L3000:
Thanks

Congrats!

Last January I was thinking of buying a WA2, but eventually I didn't. However, in anticipation I bought these
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685870/sylvania-7236-nos-tubes-sold
but never used them. If you're interested, just send me a pm.

Cheers

May 20, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #312 of 1,192
Congrats!

Last January I was thinking of buying a WA2, but eventually I didn't. However, in anticipation I bought these
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685870/sylvania-7236-nos-tubes-sold
but never used them. If you're interested, just send me a pm.

Cheers

Ouch...if only you offered it a bit sooner I will jump to it, its just I already ordered one pair from Woo directly.
Thanks for the offer anyway.

I'm now in the market for a pair of 7308 at the moment

May 24, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #314 of 1,192
Hi guys...
Anyone ever tried/used WA2 as pre amps before ?
I have Alo PanAm, will the pair work ?
Don't want to experiment it just in case someone had tried it before and destroy them.

Really appreciate the input. 

May 25, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #315 of 1,192
I use a WA2 as a pre amp to an Emotiva UPA-2. Sounds just like a WA2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back