Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations
Aug 25, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #766 of 1,192
^^ Yes... agreed. I am going to let these burn-in for a week or two and then flip back-in the WE 421a to see how they compare.

For a nice, warm 6DJ8-compatible tube: Amperex 7308 PQ Whites. I have a set and they are warmer, more tubey, then my more commonly used Telefunken or Siemens.

Here's a set on eSlay. Wallet will dilate in 3.. 2.. 1.. 
L3000.gif

Aug 25, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #768 of 1,192
Thanks for all the info guys! 
I have a pair of RCA 6as7g that i actually really like so far, my faves as of yet. Given i only have rca 6080, ge 6080 (stock came with wa2) thomson-csf 6080 and the rca 6as7g to compare thus far. ( all of which i got with the year old wa2 i just bought second hand other than the thomson, which i got a pair NOS for $35 )
Pretty happy with the RCA 6as7g but i want to hear something closer to the top of the food chain to see where my tastes are heading. Im okay with spending around $250 for a set of very nice power tubes, seems like a worth while compromise instead of spending $500+ on gec 6as7g right now. 

Have a NOS pair of rft ez80 coming from bulgaria in the next few weeks i hope. Replaced my stock 6922 with some Mullard yellow labeled ECC88 that i got for a really fair price, also getting a pair of rb2013's Holy Grail 1975 Reflektor SWGP Silver Shields at a very fair price to try out.

Right now i'm listening with RCA 6as7g / Mullard ECC88 / Amperex ez81 (unfortunately the only rectifiers that came with it were these Amperex, electro-harmonix ez81/6ca4 and what i think were the stock... Westinghouse 6ca4...can't wait for the rft ez80 to get here. Considered grabbing a pair of Ei ez80. Heard great things about the Brimar as well... Someone offered me a pair of Philips Miniwatt ez80 for $75 but wasn't very interested as i haven't seen much about them on here)

My journey into rolling continues!

**Edit**
OOOPS almost forgot... someone offered to trade me a pair of Phillips Miniwatt E88CC Holland SQ (7Ldelta5C4 date code) but in the few minutes i spent looking around for info on them last night didn't turn much up...anyone have experience with them or something similar? If so what do you think? What are they like?

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #769 of 1,192
eschell27
The miniwatt e88cc would be (very) similar to the amperex bugle boys. Decent, soft, rolled off at the top. Good option in that softer style for a cheap but well priced pair. Maybe about $50 per pair

The delta means they were produced in the herleen factory that everyone talkd about.

Aug 26, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #771 of 1,192
billerb1 ive come back for more info.

Im still contemplating mew 6dj8 tubes for my wa 2 with gec6as7g tubes and hd800.

Im trying to decide between the tele e188cc, philips holland e188cc and amperex military 7308. And what to draw on your experience

I've recently picked up a silver cable and hence start off with a VERY detailed sound with a great tight bottom end and great extension on the upper end. The treble is under contril re harshness.

However what im looking for is to maintain a high level of detail but to thicken the tone around the upper mids.

My reaearch is suggesting that the siemens and tele e188cc may be in the wrong direction. And the holland tubes might be better. As mentioned previously i do have some mid 70's soemens cca. I don't fond them too bright but that's where i want a little more weight in that upper mids. So does that make sense that the holland tubes are the way to go?

Also is there a difference betwen philips and valvo tubes. The valvos seem quite cheaper

Thanks

Aug 26, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #772 of 1,192
@billerb1 ive come back for more info.

Im still contemplating mew 6dj8 tubes for my wa 2 with gec6as7g tubes and hd800.

Im trying to decide between the tele e188cc, philips holland e188cc and amperex military 7308. And what to draw on your experience

I've recently picked up a silver cable and hence start off with a VERY detailed sound with a great tight bottom end and great extension on the upper end. The treble is under contril re harshness.

However what im looking for is to maintain a high level of detail but to thicken the tone around the upper mids.

My reaearch is suggesting that the siemens and tele e188cc may be in the wrong direction. And the holland tubes might be better. As mentioned previously i do have some mid 70's soemens cca. I don't fond them too bright but that's where i want a little more weight in that upper mids. So does that make sense that the holland tubes are the way to go?

Also is there a difference betwen philips and valvo tubes. The valvos seem quite cheaper

Thanks

Not familiar with silver headphone cables...mine are Moon Audio Black Dragon copper.  And I'm on T1's and you're on HD800s.  So I'm not sure that I'm really going to be able to add anything of worth.  I think I'm kind of like you though...I want as much detail as I can get but as time goes on it seems like I search more for as much timbre/resonance per note as I can.  I'll give up a touch of detail for that sense of natural tone...the real sound of the instrument.  I want it big and full and round and pulsating...not a 2D painting.  Like with these Marconi rectifiers...I'm torn between what is seeming the more I listen somewhat of a choice between what I was just talking about...touch more detail with the sacrifice of just a touch of tonality.  Tough decision in this case.
As to your question.  On paper I'd agree that the philips holland E188CC would seem the way to go...I would think that choice would turn out well if you got a good pair...even better if you lucked into an exceptional pair.  It's hard for me not to recommend the Tele E188CC's because I'm  getting SO much engagement from them now.  Especially the guitar solos...oh my god.  I have never felt as inside the music as they seem to take me.  I too expected them to be somewhat clinical and not as tonally rich...but this pair delievers all the tone that my PW's do and then create this perfect musical space for what I  listen for.  Can't explain it but that's it.  The Amperex 7308's I'm assuming are the American mades.  To me they are very raw sounding...great live sounding tubes but with an edge.  And that's with me listening through copper and not silver.  That would seem by far the biggest gamble  of your 3 choices.
For what it' worth...

EDIT:  As to Philips vs Valvo...I've found no difference if they are both Heerlen made.  The German made Valvos seem a bit hot and congested to me by comparison...but I know some on  the thread here prefer them.  

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #773 of 1,192

​Looking forward to your observations.

I wouldn't really discard any of the tubes I listed.  To me, it really depends on the engineering attributes of a recording and the particular system platform that makes a potential top-tier tube stand-out.  It almost comes down to a level of convenience; which tube will give me the most overall satisfaction based on the media I have to listen to without having to swap out tubes and headphones.

The we396a with 6sn7 adapters are musical and transparent with tight bass and nice detail. I recommend them. 

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #774 of 1,192
Not familiar with silver headphone cables...mine are Moon Audio Black Dragon copper.  And I'm on T1's and you're on HD800s.  So I'm not sure that I'm really going to be able to add anything of worth.  I think I'm kind of like you though...I want as much detail as I can get but as time goes on it seems like I search more for as much timbre/resonance per note as I can.  I'll give up a touch of detail for that sense of natural tone...the real sound of the instrument.  I want it big and full and round and pulsating...not a 2D painting.  Like with these Marconi rectifiers...I'm torn between what is seeming the more I listen somewhat of a choice between what I was just talking about...touch more detail with the sacrifice of just a touch of tonality.  Tough decision in this case.
As to your question.  On paper I'd agree that the philips holland E188CC would seem the way to go...I would think that choice would turn out well if you got a good pair...even better if you lucked into an exceptional pair.  It's hard for me not to recommend the Tele E188CC's because I'm  getting SO much engagement from them now.  Especially the guitar solos...oh my god.  I have never felt as inside the music as they seem to take me.  I too expected them to be somewhat clinical and not as tonally rich...but this pair delievers all the tone that my PW's do and then create this perfect musical space for what I  listen for.  Can't explain it but that's it.  The Amperex 7308's I'm assuming are the American mades.  To me they are very raw sounding...great live sounding tubes but with an edge.  And that's with me listening through copper and not silver.  That would seem by far the biggest gamble  of your 3 choices.
For what it' worth...

EDIT:  As to Philips vs Valvo...I've found no difference if they are both Heerlen made.  The German made Valvos seem a bit hot and congested to me by comparison...but I know some on  the thread here prefer them.  

Thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate and enjoyed reading what you meant re guitar solos.

I think im going to end up with a philips e188cc. Perhaps from brent jessee to ensure its a good pair.

Because my system has the hd800 treble in check for my ears the silver cable from norne that i have really brings up the detail to another level. Definitely no placebo on that.

As you kind of mentioned i love getting to a high level of detail through various components and tweaking the sound to a preferred tone from there. I think of it as starting with a big block of clay and then sculpting the sound from there.

Thanks also for an update on the rectifier. I

Aug 29, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #775 of 1,192

​Looking forward to your observations.

I wouldn't really discard any of the tubes I listed.  To me, it really depends on the engineering attributes of a recording and the particular system platform that makes a potential top-tier tube stand-out.  It almost comes down to a level of convenience; which tube will give me the most overall satisfaction based on the media I have to listen to without having to swap out tubes and headphones.

The we396a with 6sn7 adapters are musical and transparent with tight bass and nice detail. I recommend them. 

Arent you using these adapters  in the WA2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Aug 30, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #776 of 1,192
  ^^ Yes... agreed. I am going to let these (GEC 6AS7g) burn-in for a week or two and then flip back-in the WE 421a to see how they compare.

No comparison. Good to be home.

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #777 of 1,192

Yes, here are the ones I purchased:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-Gold-plated-5670-6n3-WE396A-TO-ECC88-6922-6DJ8-tube-adapter-for-you-amp-/191636111735?hash=item2c9e670177:g:~IoAAOSw~OVWwGvh

Aug 30, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #778 of 1,192

Yes, here are the ones I purchased:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-Gold-plated-5670-6n3-WE396A-TO-ECC88-6922-6DJ8-tube-adapter-for-you-amp-/191636111735?hash=item2c9e670177:g:~IoAAOSw~OVWwGvh

Ah ok i was wondering  might try the other adapters with 6sn7 base in WA22 .

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #779 of 1,192
Unloading my flotilla of EZ80's and will give first shot to the good people on this thread before I post them in the For Sale Forum.
All were supposedly NOS or near NOS when I bought them and I've put no more than 100 hours on any of these pairs.  I have no tester to verify.  I'll sell the pairs for the price posted here plus $12 for USPS Priority shipping.  I'll eat the Paypal fee.
Here's the list.  I'll mark them as SOLD as it happens.  All are EZ80's.

Philips/Amperex (Holland) D-Getters   $49
Lorenz D-Getters (not SEL's)  $49
Brimar D-Getters   $60   ***SOLD***                              PRICES REDUCED !!!
RFT  O-Getters     $39
Rogers D-Getters  $39
EI  O-Getters        $39

PM me if interested.  CONUS only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back