Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations
Sep 11, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #796 of 1,192
  Anybody try 4 6bl7's in there WA2 ?                                                                                                                                    

Yes, same arrangement with the same adapters.  I prefer the 6SN7 to the 6DJ8 type drivers for the 6BL7, noting that  I haven't tried the WE396A(s) yet.  It's a nice sound but I still prefer the TS5998 most of the time:

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #797 of 1,192
  Unloading my flotilla of EZ80's and will give first shot to the good people on this thread before I post them in the For Sale Forum.
All were supposedly NOS or near NOS when I bought them and I've put no more than 100 hours on any of these pairs.  I have no tester to verify.  I'll sell the pairs for the price posted here plus $12 for USPS Priority shipping.  I'll eat the Paypal fee.
Here's the list.  I'll mark them as SOLD as it happens.  All are EZ80's.

Philips/Amperex (Holland) D-Getters   $49
Lorenz D-Getters (not SEL's)  $49
Brimar D-Getters   $60   ***SOLD***                              PRICES REDUCED !!!
RFT  O-Getters     $39
Rogers D-Getters  $39
EI  O-Getters        $39

PM me if interested.  CONUS only.

NEW JUST-REDUCED PRICES (per pair):
Philips/Amperex (Holland) D-Getters   $39
Lorenz D-Getters (not SEL's)  $29
Brimar D-Getters   $60   ***SOLD***
RFT  O-Getters     $29 
Rogers D-Getters  $29
EI  O-Getters        $29

PM ME IF INTERESTED

Sep 20, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #798 of 1,192

Mike, how do you like the 6BL7's in the WA2?

Sep 20, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #799 of 1,192

NEW JUST-REDUCED PRICES (per pair):
Philips/Amperex (Holland) D-Getters   $39
Lorenz D-Getters (not SEL's)  $29
Brimar D-Getters   $60   ***SOLD***
RFT  O-Getters     $29 
Rogers D-Getters  $29
EI  O-Getters        $29

PM ME IF INTERESTED

WA2 owners if you need some backup rectifier tubes you should jump at those prices that Bill recently just lowered (AGAIN!)
tongue_smile.gif

Bill, when are we going to see those U709(s) listed for $29 a pair??
wink_face.gif
beerchug.gif

Sep 21, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #800 of 1,192

Mike, how do you like the 6BL7's in the WA2?

If i compare 2- 6BL7 /channel to 1-6bl7/channel to me sound is fuller warmer not as thin with 2 tubes / channel of course YMMV. and since the WA2 is good for 3.5A/channel and 2 6bl7 are rated at 3A i feel its safer to use in my WA2 rather than in my WA22 which is rated at 3A/ channel but again im no expert it just my feeling. The tube complement im using right now is 4 RCA 3 mica  6BL7, as drivers a pair of KENRAD black glass 6SN7GT VT-231 and as rectifiers a pair of RFT EZ81 with Senns HD800 .

Sep 23, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #801 of 1,192
  If i compare 2- 6BL7 /channel to 1-6bl7/channel to me sound is fuller warmer not as thin with 2 tubes / channel of course YMMV. and since the WA2 is good for 3.5A/channel and 2 6bl7 are rated at 3A i feel its safer to use in my WA2 rather than in my WA22 which is rated at 3A/ channel but again im no expert it just my feeling. The tube complement im using right now is 4 RCA 3 mica  6BL7, as drivers a pair of KENRAD black glass 6SN7GT VT-231 and as rectifiers a pair of RFT EZ81 with Senns HD800 .

Yes, I believe that I experienced the same.  I like the 6bl7 sound, it reminds me of that good'ole sounding jukebox that is full and lush.  However, I find that I get tired of its presentation sooner and head back towards the more "referenced" quality sound signature of the T5998 and WE396A drivers.

Sep 23, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #802 of 1,192

Quote:

Yes, I believe that I experienced the same.  I like the 6bl7 sound, it reminds me of that good'ole sounding jukebox that is full and lush.  However, I find that I get tired of its presentation sooner and head back towards the more "referenced" quality sound signature of the T5998 and WE396A drivers.

Expecting  some well regarded + decently priced  RCA Command 5670 and some jan 5670 tubes +the adapters will see how that sounds 

Sep 25, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #803 of 1,192
I am strongly considering ordering a WA2 as my first tube amp.  Having done a little reading on this forum, I am shopping for some of the "standard" tube upgrades.  I encountered this on the Bay...
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1311.R1.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.XCCa+.TRS0&_nkw=cca+tube&_sacat=0

There are a number of offers of what appears to be the Siemens CCa, which is highly lauded here.  However, the seller has them (perhaps) erroneously referred to as 6299, but in the detailed description it's 6922.  For the folks here who know, do these appear legit as the Siemens CCa for use as driver tubes for the WA2?

Lucifigus

Oct 7, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #806 of 1,192
It's been about two months since i got my WA2. Sounded great when i got it with just the RCA 6as7g/Amperex ez81/stock 6922 the previous owner sent it with. But or course i had to try to find my favorite combo of tubes. Decided to start on the lower end price wise with a plan on working my way up the line, first grabbed a pair of Thomson 6080wa's since they had a pretty good reputation and are super cheap (think i paid $35 shipped for an immaculate looking pair of NOS) they sound good but knew i was on a path to get TS 5998 or GEC 6as7g so i made the compromise and got the cheaper of the two (pair of TS 5998 NOS for $250 shipped, not the best but not worst price) They were a nice step up and really like them. Next wanted to get some good rectifiers found some good price and ended up with NOS pairs of Ei EZ80, RFT EZ80, and finally my favorite Brimar EZ80 black plate d getter. And now was time to get what seems to me the tubes that effect the sound quality the most...driver/preamp tubes. A friend had an NOS pair of Mullard 6dj8 which sounded much better than the stock 6922 from woo but were a little more warm than i was looking for at the time. Decided to PM rb2013 after reading his 6922 Tube Review thread to get his opinions on a few things and see if he maybe had any extra pairs laying around. Got lucky and he had a pair of his Holy Grail Reflektor '75 6N23P SWGP Silver Shields. ZINGGGGG POWWW BOOM I'm in love. By a large margin the best driver tubes i have heard. I plan to also grab a pair of NOS Amperex USN-CEP 7308's in the near future.

It's been a fun journey so far. Been tweaking my chain lately also and have a nice setup for me thus far. I'm in audio heaven with: PC/Foobar > Supra usb cable > Regen > Curious Cable Regen Link > Singxer SU-1 > BJC bnc > DAC-19 set to NOS / PLL Disabled / Dithering disabled / -90dB Stopband ATT > BJC LC-1 > WA2 (TS 5998 / Brimar ez80 / '75 Reflektor) > T1 gen1 or HD650
(Pangea AC 14se MkII power cords | i need some power conditioning now though)

~2 years years after finally giving in to my urges,  started purchasing quality equipment, here i am and couldn't be happier. (with lots of research done before purchases through HF... THANKS to everyone who contributes their experiences and knowledge) 

Thus far, this tube combo is fantastic...anyone in a similar setup? What do you think? Where do you personally feel there could be room for improvement tube wise? In the 6922 Tube Review thread the Amperex USN-CEP 7308's seem to be highly regarded. Going to pay $180 shipped for an NOS "Platinum Matched" (Ha?!) pair. Seems about on par for a high quality pair of those tubes...

Anywho... Thanks for all the info so far everyone!

A no work in the morning relaxing thursday night listening session....

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #807 of 1,192
  It's been about two months since i got my WA2. Sounded great when i got it with just the RCA 6as7g/Amperex ez81/stock 6922 the previous owner sent it with. But or course i had to try to find my favorite combo of tubes. Decided to start on the lower end price wise with a plan on working my way up the line, first grabbed a pair of Thomson 6080wa's since they had a pretty good reputation and are super cheap (think i paid $35 shipped for an immaculate looking pair of NOS) they sound good but knew i was on a path to get TS 5998 or GEC 6as7g so i made the compromise and got the cheaper of the two (pair of TS 5998 NOS for $250 shipped, not the best but not worst price) They were a nice step up and really like them. Next wanted to get some good rectifiers found some good price and ended up with NOS pairs of Ei EZ80, RFT EZ80, and finally my favorite Brimar EZ80 black plate d getter. And now was time to get what seems to me the tubes that effect the sound quality the most...driver/preamp tubes. A friend had an NOS pair of Mullard 6dj8 which sounded much better than the stock 6922 from woo but were a little more warm than i was looking for at the time. Decided to PM rb2013 after reading his 6922 Tube Review thread to get his opinions on a few things and see if he maybe had any extra pairs laying around. Got lucky and he had a pair of his Holy Grail Reflektor '75 6N23P SWGP Silver Shields. ZINGGGGG POWWW BOOM I'm in love. By a large margin the best driver tubes i have heard. I plan to also grab a pair of NOS Amperex USN-CEP 7308's in the near future.

It's been a fun journey so far. Been tweaking my chain lately also and have a nice setup for me thus far. I'm in audio heaven with: PC/Foobar > Supra usb cable > Regen > Curious Cable Regen Link > Singxer SU-1 > BJC bnc > DAC-19 set to NOS / PLL Disabled / Dithering disabled / -90dB Stopband ATT > BJC LC-1 > WA2 (TS 5998 / Brimar ez80 / '75 Reflektor) > T1 gen1 or HD650
(Pangea AC 14se MkII power cords | i need some power conditioning now though)

~2 years years after finally giving in to my urges,  started purchasing quality equipment, here i am and couldn't be happier. (with lots of research done before purchases through HF... THANKS to everyone who contributes their experiences and knowledge) 

Thus far, this tube combo is fantastic...anyone in a similar setup? What do you think? Where do you personally feel there could be room for improvement tube wise? In the 6922 Tube Review thread the Amperex USN-CEP 7308's seem to be highly regarded. Going to pay $180 shipped for an NOS "Platinum Matched" (Ha?!) pair. Seems about on par for a high quality pair of those tubes...

Anywho... Thanks for all the info so far everyone!

A no work in the morning relaxing thursday night listening session....

beautiful pics... Thanks for the listening impressions. 

Oct 16, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #808 of 1,192
A general question to the floor.

I have a few various power tubes. I LOVE my gec 6as7g. I also have a pair of mullards for slightly warm/less bright listening and some 6080wb slotted graphite that add some weight when im in the mood. My gec6as7g tubes get used 90%+?of the time recently

But it is just me, or perhaps the tubes themselves, when i use my ts5998 theres nothing particularly significant about them and what they offer. I'm not saying they are bad at all but just lacking a point of distinction, particularly due to the fact i have the gec.

I thought for a while they had some vibrant punch but now im not so sure.

Any other opinions on these from those who also have tried/have various power tubes?

Oct 16, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #809 of 1,192
A general question to the floor.

I have a few various power tubes. I LOVE my gec 6as7g. I also have a pair of mullards for slightly warm/less bright listening and some 6080wb slotted graphite that add some weight when im in the mood. My gec6as7g tubes get used 90%+?of the time recently

But it is just me, or perhaps the tubes themselves, when i use my ts5998 theres nothing particularly significant about them and what they offer. I'm not saying they are bad at all but just lacking a point of distinction, particularly due to the fact i have the gec.

I thought for a while they had some vibrant punch but now im not so sure.

Any other opinions on these from those who also have tried/have various power tubes?

What are you currently running for drivers, headphones and DAC?

Oct 16, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #810 of 1,192
  Expecting  some well regarded + decently priced  RCA Command 5670 and some jan 5670 tubes +the adapters will see how that sounds 

Well Mike, don't keep us in suspense any longer; whats the verdict, like, dislike or MEH!(?)

I'm still listening to the WE396a driver with the TS5998 and really liking them sometimes even more than the Holy Grail Reflektor '74 and '75 6N23P SWGP Silver Shields.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back