Woo Hoo. . . Got my Edition 9 . . wooo hooo . . best current production headphones. . . ? and I love them.
May 3, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #61 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by western120 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But is the sound really spectacular on the 9's to pay soo much for them ??
confused.gif

Don't know but I will keep you posted in this thread. :^) Lets hope so. My Woo 6 Modified is exciting and is so very different from stock and I am very happy with the sound. Now if the 9's live up to what they are supposed to do it will be audio nirvana but only time will tell. I am hitting around a 100 hours and the sound is getting more open and transparent. I wonder if these have any of those damn diodes? I hope not.

One thing I notice as these break-in is that the volume does not have to be as high. The dynamics are such that music, if recorded right, has dynamics such that the change from quiet to loud passages is not compressed at all and at lower volumes the detail is so good that there is no need to turn up the phones to hear them. It is more like natural sound, sounds if not inhibited by ambient sounds.

May 4, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #63 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know but I will keep you posted in this thread. :^) Lets hope so. My Woo 6 Modified is exciting and is so very different from stock and I am very happy with the sound. Now if the 9's live up to what they are supposed to do it will be audio nirvana but only time will tell. I am hitting around a 100 hours and the sound is getting more open and transparent. I wonder if these have any of those damn diodes? I hope not.

One thing I notice as these break-in is that the volume does not have to be as high. The dynamics are such that music, if recorded right, has dynamics such that the change from quiet to loud passages is not compressed at all and at lower volumes the detail is so good that there is no need to turn up the phones to hear them. It is more like natural sound, sounds if not inhibited by ambient sounds.

I've had my 9s for about 3 months now. They are the JENA CRYO cabled ones by KEN at ALO. They will become what you are hopeing for. I think they will be your new BEST of your BEST. At least they are mine through the DAC1 USB to RAPTOR (now) Soon to be hooked up to MAXXED WA6 with DACT. Jack wired it with ALO silver solid core wire. I'm just waiting for BURNIN (500 hrs. seems so long, up to 245 now and are sounding better every day.

May 4, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #64 of 168
hmmm so burning these does have a considerable effect....interesting...

May 4, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #65 of 168
I wish Jack would do the power supply modification. I am not sure what the hold up is. He knows it works.

Well these things are really changing. They are limbering up and becoming, well, more expressive of the signal going into them. I have been told they sound a lot like the Proline 750, which has the same driver and I have the 750 but to me, and I have 1000's of hours on the 750, they don't sound like them or like the 780. I guess as always, I will have to wait and see where they end up for me. Right now I have little to fault. The 100 hour mark was a significant milestone. No, of course it wasn't all at once but it was a turning point.

.....yes. . . interesting.

May 4, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #66 of 168
Hm, the ed9 has the same headband and drivers of it's peers; must be the cables or ethopian sheepskin that gives it a more unique sound. That, driver placement and such could play factor as well.

May 4, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #68 of 168
Jamato I got the chance yesterday of listening the 780, the sound is very good, thye really impressed me, but they have some differences with the bigger borther, of course as I expect, the resolution is not the same and to my taste they a little more laid back, and warm...but sound is very good...

May 4, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #69 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jamato I got the chance yesterday of listening the 780, the sound is very good, thye really impressed me, but they have some differences with the bigger borther, of course as I expect, the resolution is not the same and to my taste they a little more laid back, and warm...but sound is very good...

Were they stock or rewired?

May 4, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #70 of 168
Quote:

Were they stock or rewired?

Was thinking about asking the same question...your comments on them made me wonder, Sov.

May 4, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #71 of 168
I don't know, I am not getting anything near the dimension and separation I am now getting the 9's with other phones I own. The 750's and the 780's (no I don't have the ultra recabled model but my own recabled ones), which as I have stated, are supposed to be close to the 9's and this was told to me by people who have heard both but I do not hear the same things. To me while there is a character that is the same the sound quality is totally different. To me at this point, and this can always change, it isn't like the next step up but a different room and different system. Like someone said ok here is a really good system and would you like to go to the next room with our top performer? I know I have also mentioned this but the Modification of the Woo 6 also helps a lot because it is so multi dimensional that it gives a feed that if the phone can work with the information there is a big jump in performance.

I don't find the sound stage at this time super wide but a natural wide. this is in live performances where you can here the crowd or in classical music.

May 6, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #72 of 168
Ok, I don't know what they did to make the Ed. 9 so different from the rest of the Ultrasones and from the 750s, which have the same driver but they are like a camera that snaps into focus with everything else just a little or a lot out of focus. Yes I know they added some absorbent material and used different cup material but it would seem they could do the same with the rest of the pack with little effort. Something else would seem to be in the mix since they also use the same cheap head band as in the 280. Oh it isn't bad but like I have stated a few time, why in a 1500 dollar pair of phones when they should be giving us more in the way of build quality. Well anyway, at night when the electricity is nice and clean and my amp sounds the best I can really hear these things shine.

Oh, as they have continued to burn-in the small refinements in extremely fast and responsive drivers has become more obvious. The bass has gotten deeper and natural. The sound stage has also opened up more with excellent depth with average to better width as heard in good phones.

May 6, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #74 of 168
these are the only closes phones i my eyes on. darth who? audio tard? denon doorknob? stax sellouts?

no, i will save for these wonders. my lower rung dj1pro are enough wonderful (other than the headband - which does not fit my small head - have to wrap it with a towel to get any sort of sound from the phones) that i can only imagine the 9's or by the time i have the money, the 11's as my next pair. surely, ultrasone have caputured many hearts.

May 6, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #75 of 168
Quote:

Ok, I don't know what they did to make the Ed. 9 so different from the rest of the Ultrasones and from the 750s, which have the same driver but they are like a camera that snaps into focus with everything else just a little or a lot out of focus. Yes I know they added some absorbent material and used different cup material but it would seem they could do the same with the rest of the pack with little effort. Something else would seem to be in the mix since they also use the same cheap head band as in the 280. Oh it isn't bad but like I have stated a few time, why in a 1500 dollar pair of phones when they should be giving us more in the way of build quality. Well anyway, at night when the electricity is nice and clean and my amp sounds the best I can really hear these things shine.

Oh, as they have continued to burn-in the small refinements in extremely fast and responsive drivers has become more obvious. The bass has gotten deeper and natural. The sound stage has also opened up more with excellent depth with average to better width as heard in good phones.

They did a few things differently, inside the cup, that is why they got a completelly different and more refined sound, angled drivers, damping, exposure, is different, the 780 are a good choise for a less generous budget of course, and I liked them a lot...but the Edition 9 is a flagship headphone, as such is was better designed...

As per construction, do not get people fool you, wood and metal is cheaper than plastic if you are going to run a small batch of production, to make molds and templates for 100 headphones to be produced in plastic is a lot more expensive than getting a program in a CNC router and work with wood or metal...IMO the wood and metal chosen has to be pretty similar to plastic and is should be non resonant, and very consistent in density, as the one used in the R-10's and such, the rest is just a marketing plug IMO to make them pretty, I know that mnay people disagree here as usual, they are entitled to their respective personal opinions, we do not see many speakers made of real wood right, for that same reason...

They do used the same headband I think on the 780, not the 280's...but what the hell Grado uses the same headband in all headphones for more than a 100 years, and nobody complaint, Sennheiser and many other brands as well, so not sure what the beef is with that, if they work fine, why trying to be creative to mess it up as Sony did in the Qualia, that need a watchmaker just to adjust it...
wink.gif

This CANJAM meeting definitely introduced me to the hi-end IEM, finally I found a couple that fit my ears and I'm happy with them....BTW none of the IEM monitors I tried, mainly all brand, gives you what a good full size heapdhone gives you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back