Woo Hoo. . . Got my Edition 9 . . wooo hooo . . best current production headphones. . . ? and I love them.
May 1, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #31 of 168
At around 20 hours now. The phones sound good but are going through a bass light stage. Tight and too controlled and lacking in deep bass. All expected. The openness is a little lacking, again expected, just interesting.

May 1, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #32 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations! I hope you find them worth the money.

PS: NO kidding .... you will put the board in a frenzy.
biggrin.gif

this thread will be good for those wanting to sell their pair.

May 1, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #33 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this thread will be good for those wanting to sell their pair.

Not sure I understand but for me that isn't unusual. For sound they seem to be shaping up well for materials I would say they should cost around 450 to 500 dollars at the high end. What would the headband and yokes cost on the 780, maybe 15 dollars, the cable on the 9's is a bit stiff and I guess costs around 25 dollars and then the specially chromed plastic ear cups? and then the hand placed and glued transducers, oh and the engraved brass plates on the ear cups, oh and the skin of a dead animal.

May 1, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #34 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure I understand ...

your review threads generally generate a fair amount of interest in the item being discussed, so that will be good for those looking to sell and i suppose buy an Ed.9.

May 1, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #35 of 168
Ah, I see. Well I guess I do make it more like a blog. I feel it is more meaningful to do updates. I know I read reviews and say, ok but I never get a total feel for what is going on except on rare occasions. It does disturb me that the 9's are made of the materials that they are, which I am sure has come across by now. If they were made out of cardboard and cost 1500 dollars and sounded better than the R10, I would not buy them on sound quality alone because I would find the materials a lack of respect for the person purchasing them. I used to manufacture and I believe it a sign of respect to give quality and price. I used to make isolation bases for Cary Audio for their amplifiers. They paid 50 dollars for the basic model and sold them for 150 to 200 dollars. Were they worth 150 dollars, yes but I feel a better price might have been around 110. Good quality and price and respect.

aaaah, there is getting to be more similarity with the 780's. aaaah. . . . edit: further evaluation with some different music shows some real distinctions. the 9's throw a deeper and smoother soundstage, and the quality of sound is just more integrated and a little more laid-back and not in your face. Well much more time is needed.

May 2, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #36 of 168
Interesting how all this goes. Read an interesting article on a memrister that may be the 4th unreplicateable electrical component as the other three are a resistor, capacitor and inductor than in all variations make up what we use. Anyway, I wonder if this might make up some of the properties of cables and the burn-in process.

So right now at 26 hours I am listening to the 780's. The 9's are unfocussed and somewhat muddy and are running on my portable system. Expected but it is interesting how things can bounce around in sound. I never would have believed it years ago but since building stuff and all of the 1000's of hours of listening "it" just "is".

**Larry will probably come along and say he stated a number of times that they do this around the - just a minute gotta check something - uh 30-50 hour mark but I have always said that. Lets see if he shows up.

May 2, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #37 of 168
Quote:

Interesting how all this goes. Read an interesting article on a memrister that may be the 4th unreplicateable electrical component as the other three are a resistor, capacitor and inductor than in all variations make up what we use. Anyway, I wonder if this might make up some of the properties of cables and the burn-in process.

So right now at 26 hours I am listening to the 780's. The 9's are unfocussed and somewhat muddy and are running on my portable system. Expected but it is interesting how things can bounce around in sound. I never would have believed it years ago but since building stuff and all of the 1000's of hours of listening "it" just "is".

I'm always posting that all Ultrasones do that around 30-50 hours and go south, then they come back around.

May 2, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #38 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm always posting that all Ultrasones do that around 30-50 hours and go south, then they come back around.

See, see! Man read you like a book. . . .

May 2, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #39 of 168
Quote:

I got number 1010, boy do these clamp on my head but nothing unusual about that at first. Too much plastic but even BMWs have plastic all over them. Now for the. . . buurn-iiin. Nice case, kind of. And very important, because my ears are normal I guess, they fit.

So why do they say made in Germany? The headband is the same as the 780's except for the skin of an animal pad. The cheap yoke that holds the earphone is exactly the same, so what is made in Germany? The people that assemble them or do they import them also? And while I don't need it, why did I get a CD with the 750 and 780 but a brochure with the 9's?

Why wouldn't it say made in Germany? Just because somethings made in Germany doesn't mean it can't be cheap in construction.

May 2, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #40 of 168
They sound O.K. on my Maxxed 6, a little better still with the Raptor. But if you want to make these babies dance on your head, hook them to descent Solid State. Both Rudistors, the hybrid Tridens 5.3 and RPX-33 make them sing. The Apache, fugedaboutit!!

May 2, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #41 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragonix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why wouldn't it say made in Germany? Just because somethings made in Germany doesn't mean it can't be cheap in construction.

They do say made in Germany. What I am saying, and it ain't much, is that the headband and yokes are the same ones as on the 780 and they cost 250 retail and are made in Taiwan so it is obvious that a major part of the headphone is made in a country other than Germany. Now the law says that the last place of construction can be called the place of manufacture so. . . but to me it isn't all honest. Often expensive silk scarves will be made in China, India and the final finish of the edge will be in Italy so they say, "made in Italy" and command a higher price. Any yes, country of origin doesn't denote quality but I always think of fine care and precision when I think of Germany. Telefunken tubes and so on and so forth. . . .

May 2, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #42 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sound O.K. on my Maxxed 6, a little better still with the Raptor. But if you want to make these babies dance on your head, hook them to descent Solid State. Both Rudistors, the hybrid Tridens 5.3 and RPX-33 make them sing. The Apache, fugedaboutit!!

If you want tubes and solid state like response get the pseudo dual power supply that I do. There is a BIG difference in sound. Fast attack, great micro and macro dynamics, transparency and Jump factor are all there.

May 2, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #43 of 168
Quote:

They do say made in Germany. What I am saying, and it ain't much, is that the headband and yokes are the same ones as on the 780 and they cost 250 retail and are made in Taiwan so it is obvious that a major part of the headphone is made in a country other than Germany. Now the law says that the last place of construction can be called the place of manufacture so. . . but to me it isn't all honest. Often expensive silk scarves will be made in China, India and the final finish of the edge will be in Italy so they say, "made in Italy" and command a higher price. Any yes, country of origin doesn't denote quality but I always think of fine care and precision when I think of Germany. Telefunken tubes and so on and so forth. . . .

C'mon bro, try to get past that stuff for now and enjoy the music. How about you send Ultrasone an email regarding this subject tomorrow?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #44 of 168
I was just answering the question. I don't care, too much. Notice the statement I was answering.

Hey, you got one of them good amps. Has it lived up to your expectations of musical nirvana?

May 2, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #45 of 168
Quote:

I was just answering the question. I don't care, too much. Notice the statement I was answering.

Hey, you got one of them good amps. Has it lived up to your expectations of musical nirvana?

Absolutely. The RPX-33 gives a very emotional sound, very emotional tones (have no clue how else to describe it). A pure black background and they mate with the Edition 9 in a fantastic way...but... The HFI-780 and PRO 2500 sound great on the RPX-33 aswell (just not as good, obviously).

I think it kindof depends on what music you listen to and what type of "sound" you prefer.

My Edition 9, together with my RPX-33 give me the deepest soundstage imagineable (not wide, deep!). The Edition 9 has a very deep (DEEP!) soundstage, but not very wide. This is how I perceive it (I'm still young, 22, and I hardly party, I'm also studying on becoming an audio engineer and music producer so I'd like to think my ears are in pretty good shape).

Also, I think the Edition 9 is a beast you need to grab a chair for, get a nice cup of tea, make sure there is no noise around you, make sure you have a decent source (doesn't have to be as over the top as my Prism Sound Orpheus) and you can't be tired for this little puppy (your ears got to be fresh, or atleast somewhat). You got to concentrate on the music, focus. When you let the music take you away you can get a stereo image not possible on other headphones (imho).

Enjoy!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back