Woo Hoo. . . Got my Edition 9 . . wooo hooo . . best current production headphones. . . ? and I love them.
May 2, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #46 of 168
Wow, you have a lot already. I was lucky to have a radio then. Great explanation of what you hear, I could really sense it. Well you and Alberto say pretty much the same about the combination of the 9's and the 33. It would be nice to hear some day.

May 2, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #47 of 168
Well these things do Great with classical music and rock and jazz and . . they are a little closed in but I know that will change. Larry and Alberto told me so . . .

They are nice the only problem I have right now, and I haven't had this with any phones, my right ear hurts like hell at time because it is getting a little scrunched up but I didn't realize it until it starting hurting. I don't really want to modify the phones with the wire trick but may have to. I thought about surgery but I always get everything backwards in the mirror and would probably modify the wrong ear.

More time. . . Just read about a couple building, well having it built, a home that costs 2 billion dollars and is 27 stories high with 400,000 square feet. Gee I hope with the food shortage they don't go hungry. Having stated this I realize I just bought some phones at over 1000 dollars but I also give to communities so there can be a balance.

Overcast and cool in Santa Rosa, CA

May 2, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #48 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gladstone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you let the music take you away you can get a stereo image not possible on other headphones (imho).

What headphones have you owned/heard to qualify that statement?

May 2, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #49 of 168
Wauw, you've waited so long for this! Congrats on a beautiful headphone and I hope you two will live happily everafter
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #50 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wauw, you've waited so long for this! Congrats on a beautiful headphone and I hope you two will live happily everafter
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, hopefully it will be a blissful honeymoon and a relationship that will grow with time. Boy can I be corny. Anyway it was a long wait and strangely I never really got anxious for the phones and just waited patiently. It may have been the cost that I wasn't looking forward to.

These are nice and light and I do like the fact that they are a sealed phone so I can listen and not disturb the person sitting across from me.

I can hear some of the similarity to the 780's in their directness but they are a much refined phone in comparison. I understand what others say about recabling the 780's.

May 2, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #51 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What headphones have you owned/heard to qualify that statement?

Hey there, I've heard but not owned (except for the RS 1, SR 60 and the HD 650):

HD 595, HD 600, HD 650, K 601, K 701, SR 60, SR 225, RS 1, GS-1000, DT 770 PRO, AH-D2000, AH-D5000, PRO 750 and the ones in my sig.

As for amps I've only heard 3, the ones on my Prism Sound Orpheus, the Grace Design m902 and my own RPX-33.

I'm dying to hear the MDR-R10 and the HP1000. Asfor amps... The RP1000 (never going to happen
frown.gif
) and the B-52.

Obviously, this doesn't qualify my statement at all. I'm just saying, to my ears, when I get carried away by the music the Edition 9 to me has a very deep ambient soundstage but not very wide.

May 2, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #53 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations!
biggrin.gif

Thanks. These are the most expensive phones I have ever bought but I thought it would be fun to have a reference set even if some don't think them as such. Anyway I am using the Predator right now and I swear you can really hear into the sound field. It is nice that the 9's are so easy to drive and that the Predator does such a fine job with them.

May 3, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #54 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, sounds like the 780's? Sorry but these sound nothing like the 780 to me. Though the headband looks the same. lol

Oh, and I got the new bass adjusted version, you know, the ones after 1000.

gag, kidding.

Can you tell me a little more about the BASS adjusted version? I have # 458, they are JENA CRYO cabled by KEN at ALO. Am I missing something? I am useing the MAXXED out WA6 with DACT. ONLY 200 HRS. BURN IN SO FAR BUT IS STARTING TO SOUND GREAT. I'm trying different tubes during BURNIN. Useing a GZ34 black plate NOS now. Waiting to try GZ34 metal base. I have a 1955 - 56 and 57 NOS to try. Should I try one now or wait till about 400 hrs?

May 3, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #55 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you tell me a little more about the BASS adjusted version?

It was a complete joke. He was just messing around with that comment.

May 3, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #56 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was a complete joke. He was just messing around with that comment.

DA, I missed the (GAG KIDDING)

May 3, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #57 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you tell me a little more about the BASS adjusted version? I have # 458, they are JENA CRYO cabled by KEN at ALO. Am I missing something? I am useing the MAXXED out WA6 with DACT. ONLY 200 HRS. BURN IN SO FAR BUT IS STARTING TO SOUND GREAT. I'm trying different tubes during BURNIN. Useing a GZ34 black plate NOS now. Waiting to try GZ34 metal base. I have a 1955 - 56 and 57 NOS to try. Should I try one now or wait till about 400 hrs?

Save the good tubes for after 500 hours.

May 3, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #58 of 168
Yeah, sorry, sorry. :^) You know the R-10's and the bass light version vs. the bass heavier version. Thought it might be nice to have the Ed. 9's enter into that arena. I thought about not putting down that I was kidding but I realized that would be cruel and that few might think I was joking. Anyway, I got the bass heavier version. . . .

I am using some small tube 6EW7 tubes right now and with my power supply modification they sound better than before. More get up and go and they play well with the 9's.

May 3, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #59 of 168
I don't enjoy the burn-in process, not at all. I used find it ok but sometimes it can be a drag. So the phones closed in for a day or so and are just now starting to open up again. The highs are sweet and there is a airiness developing. They do have great speed as in transients are exact but musical. No smearing or congestion. Well a few more hundred hours. As always I have phones to use as a baseline so I know when the sound changes in my head or when it is the phones doing the changing.

May 3, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #60 of 168
congrats man.....first time I saw the Edition 9 ad.. I was like wow what a waste of money..that time I used to hang around with $10 headphones.. now I am using $110 earphones, within 3 weeks I will have the tf10's($300). Damn by the end of year I should have the customs If I really enjoy the tf10. But is the sound really spectacular on the 9's to pay soo much for them ??
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back