Woo Hoo. . . Got my Edition 9 . . wooo hooo . . best current production headphones. . . ? and I love them.
Apr 30, 2008 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 168

jamato8

Headphoneus Supremus
I got number 1010, boy do these clamp on my head but nothing unusual about that at first. Too much plastic but even BMWs have plastic all over them. Now for the. . . buurn-iiin. Nice case, kind of. And very important, because my ears are normal I guess, they fit.

So why do they say made in Germany? The headband is the same as the 780's except for the skin of an animal pad. The cheap yoke that holds the earphone is exactly the same, so what is made in Germany? The people that assemble them or do they import them also? And while I don't need it, why did I get a CD with the 750 and 780 but a brochure with the 9's?

Apr 30, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 168
Congrats ... Enjoy them
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 168
Thanks, I am sure I will. I just wish for the money a little more emphasis was placed on the types of materials used and that the headband used on the 780, which is like a 150 dollar headphone, was not used on a headphone costing 1500 though they can be purchased for less.

Apr 30, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 168
I agree. Despite the fact that it is well built and sturdy, the fact that it is the same plastic molding as used on the proline and hfis is somewhat disheartening. That aside, ultimately it doesn't matter because the sound is so freakin amazing.

Apr 30, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #6 of 168
I felt the same way, but eventually got mostly over the construction. The dead animal padding helped a lot.

Apr 30, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 168
Yeah, dead animals. I agree, even new they sound good but out of respect for us, the consumer paying hard earned (most of the time) cash, materials found in 7 and 8 hundred dollar phones wouldn't be too much to ask.

They do sound exciting though. . . . NO way am I telling the person I live with what I paid for them. Thank the audio god she hasn't even brought it up. Right now we are working on some lectures at colleges and universities to raise money for Tibetan people and one gig pays 300 that we will give to help Tibetans and look what I just paid.. .

Apr 30, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #9 of 168
Ok, sounds like the 780's? Sorry but these sound nothing like the 780 to me. Though the headband looks the same. lol

Oh, and I got the new bass adjusted version, you know, the ones after 1000.

gag, kidding.

May 1, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #10 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, sounds like the 780's? Sorry but these sound nothing like the 780 to me. Though the headband looks the same. lol

gag, kidding.

Congratulations! I hope you find them worth the money.

PS: NO kidding .... you will put the board in a frenzy.
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #11 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

gag, kidding.

Who said they did?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #12 of 168
You mean sound like the 780's? Gee I don't know but I think there are a few threads around here saying that but I think I catch your drift. I hear a different, more refined type of detail and just a different tonal quality. This is with my Woo 6 Modified.

May 1, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #13 of 168
Enjoy Sir!! I love mine, and out of the Apache
eek.gif
, they sound much like a well balanced, full range pair of Loudspeakers than just another phone. Small movements of the drivers on your head can alter the perceived sound and balance (so be mindful). I wouldn't worry about the construction, it's robust enough. I have a big head, and it took a lot of flaring to make them comfortable. And watch it! The volume has a way of creeping up and you won't notice, no compression or stridency with the right amp. You'll be crazy loud with a
very_evil_smiley.gif
grin on the face wondering where your hearing went.

May 1, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #14 of 168
You are right! Move these a little and they change. I pulled them a little forward and wham, they sound like speakers! These are supposed to be the same drivers as what I have in the 750's and I have no doubt and I have been told they sound much the same but I have listened to the 750's for thousands of hours and enjoy them very much but to me they do not sound the same. I guess the same signature but the musical image is different, as in more separated, a little deeper and refined. The Woo 6 Modified and the 9's go together very well.

May 1, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #15 of 168
Agreeing with all the comments. My RPX-33 really gives the E9's some jawdropping energy and extension. My Predator makes them sound very nice, but not quite the same. They are a versatile set of smooth sounding phones... and after modding the pads with a power cable, the fit becomes much better. (Without the cable bits behind the pads, they really start to bother me pretty quickly at the tops of the ears.)

Congrats on the win, jamoto8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back