Woo Audio WA8 Review - Head-Fi TV
Mar 15, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #76 of 903
mmm....I m thinking along the lines of a leather case with room for both the WA8 and a DAP with a shoulder strap.....similar to what another tube amp manufacturer has done.

There was a leather case for the prototype:
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/08/wu-tang-headphone-amplifier-clan-drops-into-sydney/

Maybe Woo will release it later as an option.

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #77 of 903
Beautiful industrial design - I look forward to hearing one!  Can anyone answer a couple of questions as to the all tube nature of the amp?

If fed by the analog input, does the signal pass through any solid state devices (i.e. are the tubes the only gain stage in the amp circuit)? 

I understand that 6S31B's are pretty low voltage tubes, but still (per the data sheets) designed to have 50V dc on the plate. The 6021 is supposed to have 100V dc. How can this be accomplished with a li-ion battery?

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #78 of 903
please forgive me but how on earth is the w8 a portable device, i honestly think this is not portable at all, its more of a transportable device, portable means to most of us max the size of an iphone

but it must be amazing as there is so much love for this w8

i might consider one in the future as a transportable

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #79 of 903
I've seen people play games on the metro with their laptops, so this is simply a reminder that everything is relative :wink:

Some say a stack is too large to be portable as well and choose a standalone DAP at the expense of some sonic aesthetics; Others are happy to carry whatever is needed to scratch their itch (5+ device stacks... you've seen them!).

Agreed re: the above pictured leather case. Would love to see it as an option a-la the TU-05 ASP's leather satchel.

Mar 15, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #80 of 903
X2

Especially as many users of HD800 series state it's superior sonics in balanced mode.

Bring any balanced portable or small desktop amp to our room at CanJam SoCal or anywhere WA8 is exhibited and listen for yourself if balanced is really that much better. I am assure you it is not. 

Any plans to release some info for the power output spec? 350mW seems low... What load is the 350mW at? How about output impedance? These are fairly straightforward specs for new amps, thanks!

specs are just numbers. Don't consider a product based on specs. There are many amps with exceptional specs, but sound like cheap toys.

the windows driver link from the web is down. it doesnt even allow downloading. it just links you back to the wa8 page. can anyone fix this as i do not have the mac laptops

Connect WA8 via USB and Windows will find the latest audio driver online. 

mmm....I m thinking along the lines of a leather case with room for both the WA8 and a DAP with a shoulder strap.....similar to what another tube amp manufacturer has done.

Made in USA leather case will be available soon.

Mar 15, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #81 of 903
specs are just numbers. Don't consider a product based on specs. There are many amps with exceptional specs, but sound like cheap toys.

With all due respect Mike, let's see the power output at specific resistances. Also, output impedance of the amp, thanks. These are meaningful specs.

I also completely agree about your thoughts on specs and amp performance, it just helps to gauge how well it would work for driving certain cans. I also take it personally when a hifi company won't publish output power meaningfully. Just giving us max power output number really doesn't mean anything... Surely you have some loads to correlate power output with.

Mar 15, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #82 of 903
If this thing is that good some people might want one as a desktop solution and some of those some might not be the sort of people that like to have a 10 things on their desk when they don't need to. Would it have been that hard to put a pre out on this thing?

Mar 15, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #84 of 903
The price is reflecting on the current USD to AUD exchange rate plus shipping and custom-duties and fees. The price equates to the US retail price. We are currently offering 10% pre-order special so please ask your local dealer for the same offer.

Cheers Jack, the exchange rate isnt good right now and probably wont be for a while. Doesnt seem viable right now, thanks for the reply i appreciate it.

Mar 15, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #85 of 903
  I've seen people play games on the metro with their laptops, so this is simply a reminder that everything is relative :wink:

Some say a stack is too large to be portable as well and choose a standalone DAP at the expense of some sonic aesthetics; Others are happy to carry whatever is needed to scratch their itch (5+ device stacks... you've seen them!).

+1

Shouldn't need to stack anything with this. Just the WA8 and whatever source (phone) you have with you. No doubt, someone will still stack it with a Chord DAC......

Mar 16, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #86 of 903
A bit concerned this doesn't have enough power, only 350mw, probably at 8 ohm?, so not much power.

Mar 16, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #88 of 903
  The WA8 is dead silence. You can use the headphone out as a pre-amp out. Essentially, you doubled the duty as a tube preamp. All you need to do is a 1/4" (or 1/8") to RCA adapter cable.

Aiming to use this as a premap for the KSE1500, good to know this. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back