Woo Audio WA8 Review - Head-Fi TV
Mar 22, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #106 of 887
I wanna know more detail how does it compare to ALO Continental Dual Mono? Price and size seems Dual Mono less and smaller. But could anyone comment about how different WA8 vs Dual Mono such as sound quality and types of songs (e.g. Classic, pop etc)would fit these two? Thanks!

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #107 of 887
  I wanna know more detail how does it compare to ALO Continental Dual Mono? Price and size seems Dual Mono less and smaller. But could anyone comment about how different WA8 vs Dual Mono such as sound quality and types of songs (e.g. Classic, pop etc)would fit these two? Thanks!

The two are different, you have a pure tube vs hybrid. For those who want the true tube experience, (large sound stage, smooth midrange, etc) WA-8 will be it, for those who like the overall sound of SS but the added benefit of tube CDM will be. I really like the CDM, I cant fault it however compared to my 627x I could not justify the purchase. But in no way that should be speak poorly of CDM as it is not.

To me I have to have a side by side listen to make that claim. I was this close to getting the CDM but I walked out after hearing the WA-8 was just around the corner. From what I read tube amp design comes down to how good of a output transformer you are using. They went out and it seems to make their own for their WA-8.

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #108 of 887
Based on my listening to the WA8 prototype in amp only mode back in Aug 2015, I would say sound wise the WA8 and CDM are entirely different experiences. CDM is much closer to neutral and as ALO's own description states "a touch of tubes". WA8 adds quite a bit of warmth and euphony to the sound. I think headphone/IEM pairing with the WA8 is going to be pretty specific but quite spectacular with the right ones. I would be interested to know how the Ether C sounds with the WA8. If someone could comment by 3/31 that would be awesome LOL.

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #110 of 887
  mmm....just pulled the trigger on the WA8 today (pre-order price). Singapore dealer (nearest to home) says two weeks. Can't wait to get my hands on my black  WA8.

Thanks for buying everything I want before me (as always!) - so you can test before I pull the trigger - 
redface.gif

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #112 of 887
I've tested it in CanJam socal while I was talking to Mike (hifiguy) and we both I saw some issues with their grounding when the unit is charging and plugged in to my macbook at the same time...  Its connectivity to the device manager cuts in and out and couldn't not stay connected until the unit's charging cable is unplugged.  This happens when I'm using both my IEM to the 3.5mm plug and using the bigger plug for my bigger headphones.  But there's definitely a grounding issue.  I hope that those are just prototype units and not a production release. 

Mar 22, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #113 of 887
  I've tested it in CanJam socal while I was talking to Mike (hifiguy) and we both I saw some issues with their grounding when the unit is charging and plugged in to my macbook at the same time...  Its connectivity to the device manager cuts in and out and couldn't not stay connected until the unit's charging cable is unplugged.  This happens when I'm using both my IEM to the 3.5mm plug and using the bigger plug for my bigger headphones.  But there's definitely a grounding issue.  I hope that those are just prototype units and not a production release. 

We were unable to duplicate the issue with the other two WA8s on display. We're looking into why that one unit had the issue with our MacBook Air. The show units are pre-productions. We are scheduled to begin production in early April, shipping mid April.

Mar 23, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #115 of 887
  Fingers crossed that it's relatively simple to replace the battery ourselves!

Cost of a spare battery is of course a different story...

mmm.......ditto. Need that option to extend the life of the WA8 beyond the constraint of the original battery and without the aggravation of shipping back the unit for battery replacement.  While 5 years (?) may seem sufficient, you never know when the need (to replace) will arise. I hope they listen and make this request happen.

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #116 of 887
  mmm.......ditto. Need that option to extend the life of the WA8 beyond the constraint of the original battery and without the aggravation of shipping back the unit for battery replacement.  While 5 years (?) may seem sufficient, you never know when the need (to replace) will arise. I hope they listen and make this request happen.

Also makes it easier to sell, for when we need to secure the funds for the inevitable WA9 (featuring a lightning cable output). Lol.

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #117 of 887

I had a chance to listen to the new ALO Continental V5 and the WA8 Eclipse.  I preferred the Continental.  The Woo was too warm and colored for my taste, and for it's size, it could use a little more power.  With 3 tubes on, I was up around 8 or 9 on the dial with my super efficient Foster TH-X00 headphones.  I can't imagine the amp driving anything that demands power.  

The WA8 is remarkable to look at-- it's beautiful and the design is gorgeous.

But it is really large for a portable (think 2 jumbo sized Milk Duds boxes stacked together, and it runs quite warm.

The ALO Continental v5 is more neutral, runs cool to the touch, and is about the size of a Chord Mojo and will cost half the price of both the WA8 and standard Continental when it arrives in a month or two.  I'd choose either the ALO Continental V5 (there's no DAC in it-- you need the Continental to get a DAC included) or the Cavalli Spark ahead of the WA8.

EDIT: Oh, I didn't bring up battery life-- the WA8 is about 3-4 hours.  The ALO is around 10ish and Cavalli is hoping for 17 hours by the time the Spark is delivered.

Just my opinion, of course.  I'd note that I am a Woo fan, I just can't find a place for the WA8 in my rig.

Mar 24, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #119 of 887
I had a chance to listen to the new ALO Continental V5 and the WA8 Eclipse.  I preferred the Continental.  The Woo was too warm and colored for my taste, and for it's size, it could use a little more power.  With 3 tubes on, I was up around 8 or 9 on the dial with my super efficient Foster TH-X00 headphones.  I can't imagine the amp driving anything that demands power.  

The WA8 is remarkable to look at-- it's beautiful and the design is gorgeous.

But it is really large for a portable (think 2 jumbo sized Milk Duds boxes stacked together, and it runs quite warm.

The ALO Continental v5 is more neutral, runs cool to the touch, and is about the size of a Chord Mojo and will cost half the price of both the WA8 and standard Continental when it arrives in a month or two.  I'd choose either the ALO Continental V5 (there's no DAC in it-- you need the Continental to get a DAC included) or the Cavalli Spark ahead of the WA8.

EDIT: Oh, I didn't bring up battery life-- the WA8 is about 3-4 hours.  The ALO is around 10ish and Cavalli is hoping for 17 hours by the time the Spark is delivered.

Just my opinion, of course.  I'd note that I am a Woo fan, I just can't find a place for the WA8 in my rig.

How do you find them to compare in terms of resolution/staging?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back