Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread
Jun 3, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #241 of 1,117
What are you comparing that setup to? I haven't heard it, but as Jack often pairs the WA7 with the Alpha Dogs at trade shows I would think the synergy is pretty good! Could it be that the bass ports aren't tuned to your preference?

Well i guess i have been comparing it to my HD800 so maybe i'm not used to switching back to my AD's with its closed in sound. I'm running it with a Beresford bushmaster DAC.

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #242 of 1,117
anyone having issues with the tp glass slip sliding around? I put the little rubber things just like my wa7 but the glass easily moves while my wa7 glass doesn't budge.

yeah i have given up on those little rubber things, they are harder to keep even then the glass itself.  with or without them the glass slides easily on all 4 of my units.  I have been trying to figure out an alternative such as a o-ring to go around the sleeve around the tubes that fills the space with the holes but unfortunately the thinnes orings i could find were 1.5mm and i need about .75mm to fit right.  might try lightly sanding down the o-rings on a bar of metal. if they fit i think they would be a perfect solution since they also would not easily get lost and they would absolutely keep the glass from moving at all and at the same time be centered on the base.  Would be real nice of the holes in the glass were sized to the collars in the base.

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #244 of 1,117
Hi guys,

I've just ordered my WA7 + WA7tp wuth tube upgrade. Lead time will be approximately 4 weeks. Since a few have mentioned the finish and height of the WA7tp is different to their WA7, I'm wondering how mine will look. Will see... :blush:

I have yet to purchase any headphones but leaning towards HD800 as some have said that WA7tp compliments the big soundstage with it airiness? So my question is can the HD800 work well with most genres when partnered with WA7+WA7tp?

I hope this question is relevent to this thread, if not I do apologise :s

Minh

Jun 6, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #245 of 1,117
I've been lazy but figured the people want to hear about tubes. I haven't done a second rotation but have tried all three pairs of tubes I have. i gave each pair a couple days of listening before evaluating. I didn't find the stock and Sylvanias much different. maybe barely smoother/detailed but no super bass like I read about. wouldn't call it an upgrade, just a low cost replacement.

the mullards were awesome. they color slightly with some warmth which suits the he560 well. slightly more detail and smooth treble. more weight/body overall. bass has nice impact. was able to feel the music better without needing high volume.

very satisfied with the mullards but they did cost around 70 shipped. still curious about the gold lions but they're even more expensive hope someone gets em and gives impressions.

(I know burn in time does effect tubes but the stock and Sylvania's would have to change a lot to impress. I still have the Sylvanias in so we'll see if things change)

Jun 6, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #246 of 1,117
I've been lazy but figured the people want to hear about tubes. I haven't done a second rotation but have tried all three pairs of tubes I have. i gave each pair a couple days of listening before evaluating. I didn't find the stock and Sylvanias much different. maybe barely smoother/detailed but no super bass like I read about. wouldn't call it an upgrade, just a low cost replacement.

the mullards were awesome. they color slightly with some warmth which suits the he560 well. slightly more detail and smooth treble. more weight/body overall. bass has nice impact. was able to feel the music better without needing high volume.

very satisfied with the mullards but they did cost around 70 shipped. still curious about the gold lions but they're even more expensive hope someone gets em and gives impressions.

(I know burn in time does effect tubes but the stock and Sylvania's would have to change a lot to impress. I still have the Sylvanias in so we'll see if things change)

Interesting. I actually just spent a bit of time earlier this evening comparing the stock EH tubes with the Sylvania JAN 5814A's, and the sound signature was dramatically different. You aren't using the Sylvania 12AU7's are you?

Thanks for the impressions on the Mullards. I probably will purchase a set of Gold Lion's later this weekend and should get them at some point next week. My curiosity is getting the better of me.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 7, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #247 of 1,117
anyone having issues with the tp glass slip sliding around? I put the little rubber things just like my wa7 but the glass easily moves while my wa7 glass doesn't budge.

I have one of the earliest TPs (SN041400XTP, shipped in 1st week of May), yeah, less than 10 and I don't have that much quality issues as some have reported here. Maybe I just got the perfect unit.

Yeah, the glass would move quite a bit if you put too much force on it. But if you leave it on its own and place it on a fairly level surface, I don't think it would move or slide on its own. The protruded brim of the tube slot provides robust restraint for the glass from sliding or from falling over.

So you don't have to worry about it. Even if you don't put the non-slip pads, the glass will be going nowhere.

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #250 of 1,117
Interesting. I actually just spent a bit of time earlier this evening comparing the stock EH tubes with the Sylvania JAN 5814A's, and the sound signature was dramatically different. You aren't using the Sylvania 12AU7's are you?

Thanks for the impressions on the Mullards. I probably will purchase a set of Gold Lion's later this weekend and should get them at some point next week. My curiosity is getting the better of me. :rolleyes:      

http://m.ebay.com/orderDetails?itemId=161276155994&txnId=1089169594006

is what I got. I'll have to give it more time then go back to stock and see if I hear a difference. I was mainly focused on the bass since that was said to be the biggest difference.

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #251 of 1,117
From what I could grasp, the base denomination is 12AU7. Because the tubes can be switched, the advertisements on ebay include all the derivate denominations that are compatible. Compatible, yes, but not identical. The 5814A for example is a special version, military grade that requires more power (gets hotter) than stock tube 12AU7. The more current required by the 5814A (175mA instead of 150mA) brings better dynamics. And yet, it also depends on the brand, there are many GEs on ebay but Sylvania and Telefunken seem to be the best ones (see website below). If you say that the 6189W sounds like the stock tube, they may be close in construction quality.

See: http://www.audiotubes.com/12au7.htm (Short cut and paste from the site below)

12AU7 / 12AU7A: The common USA version of this tube. RCA, GE, and Sylvania actually made most of these tubes, regardless of brand on the label.

ECC82: This is the European version of the 12AU7, and is identical to it. The brands in demand are Telefunken, Amperex, and Mullard.

6189 / E82CC: This can be both a military spec tube and a premium industrial tube. Often, the military versions will be marked 12AU7WA in addition to having 6189 etched in the glass.These are excellent step up tubes in the 12AU7 family, when you can find them! Look for super rare triple mica versions from Mazda, Siemens, and Mullard, some with silver plates. Among the best 12AU7 tubes ever made.

5814: This is a military spec tube. These are all low microphonic thanks to their rigid mica supports. Older versions have a third mica spacer near the top. These "triple mica" versions are in great demand today. These vintage tubes have just started to become a hot item, as NOS stocks of the West Europe types become harder to find. These tubes can withstand many on-off cycles and mechanical shock without a problem.

Personally, I have been wondering about the triple mica version of the Sylvania 5814A. But I am not willing to pay $100+ on the pair so the base Sylvania 5814A will have to do (ebay, yeah me too). However, if you guys got any of the triple mica Sylvania 5814A to test with the wa7tp, please, leave a comment about your impressions.

Cheers,

Note: I think finding the best pairing (<5% matching or grade "platinum" by some ebay sellers) will have a profound effect on the sound quality. I read that the major issue with the wa7 could be a mismatched in stereo channel or tubes. Sure, it may not be related with the PSU but I am a perfectionist anyway.

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #252 of 1,117
Hi guys,

My WA7tp died on me yesterday and I was really crushed like what someone feels when a child does not open his eyes after shaking him to wake up. It was really heartbreaking.

I tried every possible solution within the realm of what I am allowed to do to make it work again like replacing the fuse and replacing the power cable. I have not moved them before they failed to work so I know the interconnects were fine.

After exhausting the last possible solution and not seeing them light up is disheartening. I just stared there thinking what it was that I ever did wrong: I have kept them some distance away from other heat sources to give them enough  space to breathe. The AC was open 24/7. I have not used them for more than 3 hours in any one session. And I have not used them for more than 40 hours since I got them

I emailed jack about it and he told me that the spare fuse could also be faulty. I told him that I would look for a fuse in the market today and report back any development.

Has any of you guys had the same problem? I do hope that it's only the fuse. Since we are already in the child analogy, I don't want to send it for repairs because it feels like I would be sending a child to surgery and return as handicap, never whole again.

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #253 of 1,117
Hi guys,

My WA7tp died on me yesterday and I was really crushed like what someone feels when a child does not open his eyes after shaking him to wake up. It was really heartbreaking.

I tried every possible solution within the realm of what I am allowed to do to make it work again like replacing the fuse and replacing the power cable. I have not moved them before they failed to work so I know the interconnects were fine.

After exhausting the last possible solution and not seeing them light up is disheartening. I just stared there thinking what it was that I ever did wrong: I have kept them some distance away from other heat sources to give them enough  space to breathe. The AC was open 24/7. I have not used them for more than 3 hours in any one session. And I have not used them for more than 40 hours since I got them

I emailed jack about it and he told me that the spare fuse could also be faulty. I told him that I would look for a fuse in the market today and report back any development.

Has any of you guys had the same problem? I do hope that it's only the fuse. Since we are already in the child analogy, I don't want to send it for repairs because it feels like I would be sending a child to surgery and return as handicap, never whole again.

I'm going to go on a limb based on what I've read about the WA7 and ask if you've made sure the main WA7 is switched on? I've read that the power supply won't turn on at all if the WA7 isn't on. Fingers crossed that the power switch on it just got knocked into the off position and that's all there is to it!

//TB

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #254 of 1,117
I'm going to go on a limb based on what I've read about the WA7 and ask if you've made sure the main WA7 is switched on? I've read that the power supply won't turn on at all if the WA7 isn't on. Fingers crossed that the power switch on it just got knocked into the off position and that's all there is to it!

//TB

Yes I did check that although I have been using it for some days without problems and I was certain nobody else touched the it.

Turns out I was just extremely unlucky because the spare fuse that came along with the WA7tp was defective. For high quality fuses like this, the quality control reliability would be around 99.95%. And for me to have received a defective unit is something we can call a stroke of unluck. What are the odds really? I hope they check the fuse next time if it works because it's so hard to look for a fuse that is not normally used in everyday appliances.

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #255 of 1,117
I don't remember even getting a spare fuse with mine... is it in the fuse box or something?

I am still waiting on 1 of the 2 short DC power cords I ordered.  Seems they forgot to throw one in the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back