Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread
May 24, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #228 of 1,117
just got my shipment notify.

will be doing impressions with those popular Sylvania's and some IEC mullards. I'm curious about the cryo gold lions but didn't want to spend the money yet.

Were you a part of the first or 2nd batch? I'm still waiting on mine but i was in the 2nd batch

I have to confess that I'm somewhat confused about how rectifier tubes whose only job is to supply DC power to the amp can affect SQ at all. I admit to being a total noob in this area but from what little I know, it sounds a little weird to me. Nevertheless, I have a matched pair of the JAN Sylvania's to try out LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

May 24, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #229 of 1,117
someone with proper measuring equipment or even a usb scope should tap off the cable lines and see how the different power supply signals respond to music.  Ideally you see pure unchanging DC.  Compare then the solid state vs the tube psu.  I would do it but I don't have a scope nor do I want to cut my DC cable :wink:

May 25, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #230 of 1,117
if only they would make a wa7tp duo without the whole DAC , just a plain headphone amplifier, i wonder how much less it would cost...

May 26, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #231 of 1,117
I have to confess that I'm somewhat confused about how rectifier tubes whose only job is to supply DC power to the amp can affect SQ at all. I admit to being a total noob in this area but from what little I know, it sounds a little weird to me. Nevertheless, I have a matched pair of the JAN Sylvania's to try out LOL.

I assume you were able to sort out what was going on with your preorder?
  if only they would make a wa7tp duo without the whole DAC , just a plain headphone amplifier, i wonder how much less it would cost...

While I know what you're saying, I suspect it wouldn't be that much of a savings, especially given that the DAC is often compared to the Audioquest Dragonfly. In other words, we're really talking about a budget DAC here. Regardless, I think the internal DAC is a selling point for someone looking to get started. It allows the purchase of the amp even if one doesn't initially have room in their budget for a good standalone DAC. I know this was the case for me at least - I've been using the internal DAC and just placed an order for a (hopefully) better DAC. Regardless, I like the idea that I an use the internal DAC if I choose to move the WA7 in to a different room as a secondary system. Pros and cons I suppose. 

May 26, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #232 of 1,117
  I assume you were able to sort out what was going on with your preorder?

Yes, thanks for asking. I received my shipment notification on Friday and I'm expecting FedEx to deliver it tomorrow (Tuesday). Word from Woo was that they were waiting for their shipment of 12AU7 tubes. I thought perhaps that shipping would have been on a first-come, first-serve basis according to order date but I guess that isn't the case. I'm looking forward to getting the unit tomorrow!

May 29, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #234 of 1,117
Just received mine today :)  Hooked it up with my HD800 for a brief listen and I have to say it's money well spent. Key improvements (stock 12AU7, right out the box) IMO:

1. Instrument separation and layering - Strings, winds, percussions... improved body and space between instruments
2. Bass extension, control, texture - With the old PSU, the bass sounded a bit bloated (lacking definition and texture) on complex orchestrated passages; On the Tube ps, definition, texture and extension are much improved
3. Staging - Better width and depth, more holographic with better focus

Will let it run for a week and check back on the SQ, then onto tube rolling. Btw, also got 2 sets EH 6C45Pi Gold Pins I ordered delivered with the PSU. Been waiting for these a long time!

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #236 of 1,117
Got my 2 sets (home and work) of 'matched' WA7+WA7tp back from Woo Friday.  Unfortunately they came missing one of the 1' DC cables I ordered but at least after me playing a bit of musical chairs between the 4 glass blocks and 4 bases and a bit of additional sanding I have converged on pairing that are now within the ballpark of looking decent side by side.

Finish on the WA7tp is still a couple notches shinier then the WA7's for both pair and Woo's solution to the height differences was simply to sand down all the rubber feet on the WA7tp's a couple mm.  Apparently they used a different rubber foot between the WA7 and the WA7tp which do not line up. Most likely they use the same feet now for both units but if you have a WA7 earlier then a few months ago there is a good chance it will not match up with a new WA7tp side by side.  Would be nice to know what serial number they started using the larger feet for the WA7. 

Finally, even after the sanding down of the base feet there are still height differences between the 4 units but that is now mostly to do with the glass blocks all being +- an additional mm or so in dimensions.  Of the 4 blocks one of them stands out like a sore thumb though having about triple the bevel size of the others and is even larger in width then the base by over a mm so much so that it does not sit flush with the sides of the base itself.  Still waiting on a response from Jack whether or not he will swap this odd-man-out remaining glass block but he stuck me with shipping charges and so the whole process of matching units cost me over $100. Be fore-warned if you have an early WA7 there is a good chance they will not sit right together without doing some sanding down of the WA7tp.  This was true for both units I own and they were not originally ordered together.

Turn around on 'matching' was a couple weeks suffering with my T5p through a HiFiMeDiy usb dongle DAC.  Sometimes the early bird doesn't catch the worm :wink:

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #238 of 1,117
  Anyone heard the WA7tp with Alpha dogs? I'm waiting on my tp and kinda underwhelmed with the AD/WA7 coupling.

What are you comparing that setup to? I haven't heard it, but as Jack often pairs the WA7 with the Alpha Dogs at trade shows I would think the synergy is pretty good! Could it be that the bass ports aren't tuned to your preference?

Jun 3, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #239 of 1,117
  Most likely they use the same feet now for both units but if you have a WA7 earlier then a few months ago there is a good chance it will not match up with a new WA7tp side by side.  Would be nice to know what serial number they started using the larger feet for the WA7. 

Perhaps I missed it in an earlier posting, but could you share when you originally purchased your WA7's? My black WA7 that was built in January of this year didn't have the same matching issues. So, I suspect there were some parts adjustments along the way? Sorry to hear that the "matching" was far from perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back