Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread
May 14, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #181 of 1,117
I had to update my initial impressions but end result is same I like these JJ tubes and feel now that most replacement has chance at being better than stock :p

The difficult part is to find which you like more. I tred Westinghouse 12AU7 and Tesla ECC802S with BH Crack and prefer 12AU7 over ECC802S while many consider Tesla ECC802S among the best for the Crack

May 14, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #182 of 1,117
I fear much if not all of the knowledge base built from 12au7 in the Crack may be redundant
WA7tp's use of 12au7 as a rectifier is quite unique , I do not know of any other amps using the 12au7 this way

May 15, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #184 of 1,117
An Early WA7tp Mini Review

When I initially read about the WA7tp, I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect. An upgraded tube power supply that commands a significant chunk of the original asking price of the WA7? Seriously? Wasn’t the stock, solid state supply already designed specifically with the WA7 in mind? Despite my misgivings, the possibilities intrigued me. Why would Woo offer a new PSU if the difference in sound quality was marginal? After all, tube psu’s are common with their other models. To further fan the flames, early meet impressions proved very positive. So, like many here, I jumped at the opportunity to purchase an early production unit when Woo posted their early bird offer.

Finish/Aesthetics:

I ordered a black unit to match my WA7, and I have no complaints about the aesthetics. Placed directly alongside my WA7, the unit’s visually match in finish and height. Unfortunately, the “push” power-button feels quite loose compared to the tight and beautifully dampened volume knob on the WA7. While I understand the desire to visually match the two units, I would have personally preferred a different style of power switch, even at the expense of visual appeal. I suspect Woo was in a difficult position here, with no perfect answer. You can’t please everyone, as the cliche goes. Gripes aside, the bottom line is that the power-button works just fine in practice. It’s far from deal-breaker, but those who anticipate the same sensation of quality found in interacting with the WA7 will be disappointed. Also, if you’ve been following this thread, some users have experienced quality control issues with their units. Hopefully Woo gets this addressed. I suspect we’ll get a better sense of where the chips fall as more folks receive their WA7tp’s.

Sound:

All impressions made with: WA7 w/ EH Gold Tubes, WA7 internal DAC, Audeze LCD-2 (current rev. with fazor & M.A. Silver Dragon cable), Sennheiser HD-600, Stock Electro Harmonix Tubes & Sylvania JAN 5814A Tubes with the WA7tp (20+ hrs of burn time on each).

So the real question: What does the WA7/WAtp sound like? I think the short answer is, “Like a higher class amp”. This is not to say that it no longer sounds like the WA7 (the WA7’s smooth charm is left intact, if that happens to be a concern), but rather that it is now significantly improved, especially in regards to technicalities. How, you may ask, do you improve on the WA7? The WA7tp’s answer is to expand the soundstage in width and depth, add a sense of layering and holographic imaging that wasn’t originally present, throw in a liberal dose of “air”, clarify the upper mid range, significantly tighten and texture the bass, increase overall transparency, kick up dynamics and open up the possibility of further enhancing the sound presentation with tube rolling. Whew. Did I miss anything? Oh yeah. It sounds amazing

Let me frame it from another angle. The stock PSU sounds smaller, comparatively congested and a bit woolly in both the bass and the upper mids. There is also a very noticeable difference in transparency - leaving one with the impression that the stock psu sounds slightly veiled. With the stock tubes, I found the WA7tp’s bass to have a touch less punch and body than with the solid state psu. Regardless, I still preferred the presentation as it felt more natural, textured and controlled. In complex passages, the amp is now able to maintain a far better “grip” on the sound.

All this said, if you have concerns about bass body, extension and impact, throw them out the window. Tube rolling the WA7tp
will
address this concern. While I greatly prefer the stock tube WA7tp to the solid state psu, I’ve found that I prefer the Sylvania JAN 5814A’s over the stock tubes (thanks to Maxx134 for the recommendation), as they are a bit more “forward” sounding, more dynamic, and the bass is absolutely delicious. Think controlled, textured, extended and punching like a heavy weight. I look forward to hearing other user’s impressions of the various tubes in the coming days. In terms of tubes, given the almost overwhelming options available, I suspect there are even greener pastures to be found.

Conclusion:

In short, the WA7tp is a great product - sonically far better than I anticipated. It effectively converts the WA7 in to an upgradable system that is both aesthetically appealing and most importantly, provides a tremendous listening experience. If you own a WA7, purchasing the “TP” is a no-brainer. If you want to extend the sound quality if your current setup, especially if the WA7 is your primary amplifier, I would recommend making the switch. Thanks to Woo Audio for further extending the value of the WA7.

Pros:

- Sound quality is a significant step up in virtually all regards

- While certainly not free, the price feels more than justified for the difference in sound quality

- Looks good placed next to the WA7

- Enables more tube rolling options and further customization

Cons:

- Some early build quality issues being reported

- Power push-button isn’t on par with the volume knob on the WA7

- Stock tubes do not reveal the full potential of the WA7tp (expect to roll tubes)​

Wow you have a gift for reviewing!
Excellent concise review.

Yes I am thinking to go try the Westinghouse next but that's it for me lol

May 15, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #185 of 1,117
  An Early WA7tp Mini Review

When I initially read about the WA7tp, I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect. An upgraded tube power supply that commands a significant chunk of the original asking price of the WA7? Seriously? Wasn’t the stock, solid state supply already designed specifically with the WA7 in mind? Despite my misgivings, the possibilities intrigued me. Why would Woo offer a new PSU if the difference in sound quality was marginal? After all, tube psu’s are common with their other models. To further fan the flames, early meet impressions proved very positive. So, like many here, I jumped at the opportunity to purchase an early production unit when Woo posted their early bird offer.

Finish/Aesthetics:

I ordered a black unit to match my WA7, and I have no complaints about the aesthetics. Placed directly alongside my WA7, the unit’s visually match in finish and height. Unfortunately, the “push” power-button feels quite loose compared to the tight and beautifully dampened volume knob on the WA7. While I understand the desire to visually match the two units, I would have personally preferred a different style of power switch, even at the expense of visual appeal. I suspect Woo was in a difficult position here, with no perfect answer. You can’t please everyone, as the cliche goes. Gripes aside, the bottom line is that the power-button works just fine in practice. It’s far from deal-breaker, but those who anticipate the same sensation of quality found in interacting with the WA7 will be disappointed. Also, if you’ve been following this thread, some users have experienced quality control issues with their units. Hopefully Woo gets this addressed. I suspect we’ll get a better sense of where the chips fall as more folks receive their WA7tp’s.

Sound:

All impressions made with: WA7 w/ EH Gold Tubes, WA7 internal DAC, Audeze LCD-2 (current rev. with fazor & M.A. Silver Dragon cable), Sennheiser HD-600, Stock Electro Harmonix Tubes & Sylvania JAN 5814A Tubes with the WA7tp (20+ hrs of burn time on each).

So the real question: What does the WA7/WAtp sound like? I think the short answer is, “Like a higher class amp”. This is not to say that it no longer sounds like the WA7 (the WA7’s smooth charm is left intact, if that happens to be a concern), but rather that it is now significantly improved, especially in regards to technicalities. How, you may ask, do you improve on the WA7? The WA7tp’s answer is to expand the soundstage in width and depth, add a sense of layering and holographic imaging that wasn’t originally present, throw in a liberal dose of “air”, clarify the upper mid range, significantly tighten and texture the bass, increase overall transparency, kick up dynamics and open up the possibility of further enhancing the sound presentation with tube rolling. Whew. Did I miss anything? Oh yeah. It sounds amazing.

Let me frame it from another angle. The stock PSU sounds smaller, comparatively congested and a bit woolly in both the bass and the upper mids. There is also a very noticeable difference in transparency - leaving one with the impression that the stock psu sounds slightly veiled. With the stock tubes, I found the WA7tp’s bass to have a touch less punch and body than with the solid state psu. Regardless, I still preferred the presentation as it felt more natural, textured and controlled. In complex passages, the amp is now able to maintain a far better “grip” on the sound.

All this said, if you have concerns about bass body, extension and impact, throw them out the window. Tube rolling the WA7tp will address this concern. While I greatly prefer the stock tube WA7tp to the solid state psu, I’ve found that I prefer the Sylvania JAN 5814A’s over the stock tubes (thanks to Maxx134 for the recommendation), as they are a bit more “forward” sounding, more dynamic, and the bass is absolutely delicious. Think controlled, textured, extended and punching like a heavy weight. I look forward to hearing other user’s impressions of the various tubes in the coming days. In terms of tubes, given the almost overwhelming options available, I suspect there are even greener pastures to be found.

Conclusion:

In short, the WA7tp is a great product - sonically far better than I anticipated. It effectively converts the WA7 in to an upgradable system that is both aesthetically appealing and most importantly, provides a tremendous listening experience. If you own a WA7, purchasing the “TP” is a no-brainer. If you want to extend the sound quality if your current setup, especially if the WA7 is your primary amplifier, I would recommend making the switch. Thanks to Woo Audio for further extending the value of the WA7.

Pros:
- Sound quality is a significant step up in virtually all regards
- While certainly not free, the price feels more than justified for the difference in sound quality
- Looks good placed next to the WA7
- Enables more tube rolling options and further customization

Cons:
- Some early build quality issues being reported
- Power push-button isn’t on par with the volume knob on the WA7
- Stock tubes do not reveal the full potential of the WA7tp (expect to roll tubes)​

Excellent review JoelT. Thank You!

May 15, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #186 of 1,117
I think I got unlucky. My wa7tp arrived the other day. Blows the fuse as soon as its switched on though :frowning2: gonna have to return for repairs. Funny thing is it worked for a good 8 hours or so before behaving like this the day after. I wish it hadn't worked at all though because it definitely sounded better than the standard psu. Sigh, waiting to hear back from jack on return shipping costs as it's a pretty penny or two ftom the uk.

Great review JoelIt, I certainly agree on the power button though. Been spoilt with wa7 I guess :)

May 15, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #187 of 1,117

Now I'm confused - is the power symbol above the button, or in the center of the button?

I think I got unlucky. My wa7tp arrived the other day. Blows the fuse as soon as its switched on though 
frown.gif
 gonna have to return for repairs. Funny thing is it worked for a good 8 hours or so before behaving like this the day after. I wish it hadn't worked at all though because it definitely sounded better than the standard psu. Sigh, waiting to hear back from jack on return shipping costs as it's a pretty penny or two ftom the uk.

Great review JoelIt, I certainly agree on the power button though. Been spoilt with wa7 I guess 
smily_headphones1.gif

That is so brutal. I guess the upside is that it didn't destroy your WA7?

May 15, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #188 of 1,117
Yes the power symbol on mine was like the above picture unlike the promo shots we've already seen.

Not destroying the wa7 is a plus, yes. My heart skipped a beat when I turned the setup on to see all tubes glow for less than a second before dieing. In between that point and plugging in my original psu to test the amp was still working was tense to say the least.

May 15, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #189 of 1,117
Thanks folks! Hopefully the additional information is of some use to people still curious about the product. 

Quote:
  Now I'm confused - is the power symbol above the button, or in the center of the button?

The photograph in my review is one I took of my WA7tp, which is as shown (power symbol above the button). Woo's photographs on their site show it on the button...not sure why there's a discrepancy. Strange, now that you pointed that out.
Yes the power symbol on mine was like the above picture unlike the promo shots we've already seen.

Not destroying the wa7 is a plus, yes. My heart skipped a beat when I turned the setup on to see all tubes glow for less than a second before dieing. In between that point and plugging in my original psu to test the amp was still working was tense to say the least.

Wow. What a downer. So sorry to hear this. Another case of "early build quality issues being reported" per my review. 
frown.gif

May 16, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #190 of 1,117
I've had wa7tp running today after giving more fuses a try. It's run for about 7 hours total today with a 1 and a half hour break in between. The fuse I put in is a 160ma. I've also got couple of 250ma ones to try as well if this goes south. So for now I'm enjoying the sound and praying it doesn't get really hungry for fuses lol.

What I did notice which is strange... The wa7tp says on the back 250ma @230v however the two blown fuses which came with the unit were rated for 200. Until putting the 160 in I thought maybe the 200 fuses just weren't enough for the unit. But now I'm really confused. Thought the 160 would have blown for sure! Here's to hoping it's smooth sailing from here on out because this unit really does sound better than the stock psu from first impressions :)

May 16, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #191 of 1,117
that's nearly 50 watts... quite a bit of power for driving what i thought was a 1 watt amplifier... is your converter switch set to 110 or 220? maybe that is the problem. most of the testing was likely done in america which is 110.

May 17, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #192 of 1,117
My power symbol is dead center on the button, as shown in the promo photographs... but that's probably because my unit was the one photographed.

May 17, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #193 of 1,117
i like it better in the center of the button personally.  would be even nicer if the button were not turnable. seems not a tough thing to do internally, preventing the button from turning.  really think the best solution would be to just drop the button entirely (save everyone the cost of the switch and the machining ($100?) and just power on via the WA7 back switch.  Would look much cleaner and remove a potential failure point.

Ideally the WA7 volume knob would be one of those where it clicks off at the min volume position and get rid of the rear switch as well.

May 17, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #194 of 1,117
Actually, I kind of like the button. 
redface.gif
  I think the main cost of the WA7 is the ridiculous-machining-of-the-aluminum bit... so I'm not sure the switch is a big deal in the over all scheme of things.

Tel you what I would like though... I would like it if the power symbol were the same size and in the same position as the circle indicator of the WA7's volume dial (assuming it was dialed in to the 12:00 position).

May 17, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #195 of 1,117
How do you go about switching on the WA7 after adding the WA7TP to the chain? Is it switching on the WA7TP on first via the front button, and then flicking the rear switch on the WA7?

Or do you keep the WA7 permanently in the ON position and it turns off when you turn the WA7TP off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back