Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread
May 18, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #196 of 1,117
  How do you go about switching on the WA7 after adding the WA7TP to the chain? Is it switching on the WA7TP on first via the front button, and then flicking the rear switch on the WA7?

That won't work.  The WA7tp will not power on unless the WA7 has already been switched on.

Or do you keep the WA7 permanently in the ON position and it turns off when you turn the WA7TP off?

This, this is what I do. 
smile.gif

May 18, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #197 of 1,117
personally i just left the WA7 on and switched both on together from the WA7tp.  Not sure if this is the expected approach.

@warrenpchi - i would probably like the button a bit more if the symbol was in the middle of it like yours.  still the push feel is not as solid and has far more throw then expected.  i thought it would be a light touch.

May 19, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #198 of 1,117
  personally i just left the WA7 on and switched both on together from the WA7tp.  Not sure if this is the expected approach.

Yup.  Actually, I'm not sure it can even work that other way around.  For me, if the WA7 is not switched on first, I can't even get the power supply to turn on.  In other words, under no circumstances can I get the power supply to turn on if (a) the WA7 is not connected - AND - (b) the WA7 is not switched on.

@warrenpchi - i would probably like the button a bit more if the symbol was in the middle of it like yours.  still the push feel is not as solid and has far more throw then expected.  i thought it would be a light touch.

Yeah, definitely not a light touch.  Still, as long as it continues to turn on, I'm going to be fairly forgiving of this.  I can generally forgive a whole lot elsewhere if I like the sound. 
smile.gif

May 19, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #199 of 1,117

Yup.  Actually, I'm not sure it can even work that other way around.  For me, if the WA7 is not switched on first, I can't even get the power supply to turn on.  In other words, under no circumstances can I get the power supply to turn on if (a) the WA7 is not connected - AND - (b) the WA7 is not switched on.

Yeah, definitely not a light touch.  Still, as long as it continues to turn on, I'm going to be fairly forgiving of this.  I can generally forgive a whole lot elsewhere if I like the sound. 
smile.gif

agreed, it is no deal breaker just one of those wish it were things...

May 20, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #201 of 1,117
What did you guys think about the WA7 before you got the tube power module? I took delivery of a standard WA7 today (with the $100 driver tubes upgrade), and I think it's going right back... It's pretty awful. Granted, it only has 6-7 hours on it, and maybe after it's fully burned in it will be better, but I don't think so. I've seen some pretty magical transformations with components pre and post burn-in, but this would be the widest performance gap pre and post burn-in I've ever seen. By about twice over, frankly. I just don't see it pulling such a total reversal... I'll probably go through paypal, frankly, because there is no way I'm paying a 10% restocking fee for this...

May 20, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #204 of 1,117
Have no idea what are you talking about. I had WA7 with stock power supply and both stock and EH tubes and HD650 sounded great. Give stock tubes at least 20 hours and EH tubes at least 30 hours before saying something

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

May 20, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #205 of 1,117
  I can generally forgive a whole lot elsewhere if I like the sound. 
smile.gif

Originally Posted by groovyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

agreed, it is no deal breaker just one of those wish it were things...

Originally Posted by JoelT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

+1   Exactly. Isn't that what this is all ultimately about? 
biggrin.gif

You see, this is why I love Head-Fi! 
smile.gif

May 20, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #206 of 1,117
Have no idea what are you talking about. I had WA7 with stock power supply and both stock and EH tubes and HD650 sounded great. Give stock tubes at least 20 hours and EH tubes at least 30 hours before saying something

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Nah, I'll say something when I want to say something. Like I said, I understand burn-in. I also understand what reasonable expectations from burn-in are. For me to end up happy with the sound, the burn-in improvements of this amp would need to far and away exceed any burn-in improvements I have heard, ever. Like I said, it's possible, but I'm not holding my breath. 

May 20, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #207 of 1,117
FWIW, I don't like the synergy between the WA7 and HD 650... but for me that has much more to do with the HD 650.

May 20, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #209 of 1,117
perhaps it is a bad unit?  hard to believe it is double under anything else you have heard anywhere near the price range.  my guess is something is wrong with it.  email jack, perhaps he has a solution for you.  he is helping me match my 2 pair of WA7 to WA7tp now. it is hard waiting on them to be returned though :wink:

May 20, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #210 of 1,117
I'm thinking it's a bad unit... It has to be- people love this amp. Doesn't make me any less frustrated though, ha ha.

I should clarify, I don't think it's double under anything in the price range I've heard, just far off from where it should be, compared to say my WA3 or even my Rotel... The double comment was confusingly worded on my part. I was attempting to say that while I've seen some big transformations in various components between the initial listen and a proper burn-in, this WA7 seems VERY far off from where it should be, and if it does indeed end up sounding better than say my WA3 after it's properly burned-in, then that particular transformation would have to be around twice the biggest transformation due to a proper burn-in that I've seen... If that makes sense. Like I've seen lots of 7's and 8's burn-in and become 10's... But I've never seen a 5 become a 10. I'm a believer in letting things burn-in, but it can only do so much, I guess...

Then again, who knows. Maybe the WA7 is different. Has anyone else had this experience with the WA7? Did it start out absolutely lackluster, and then double or triple it's performance after burn-in?

@olegausany - No worries. Just a little frustrated over here. Concerned I'm out $1100 for what is essentially a large system downgrade...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back