Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
May 23, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #3,751 of 4,845
Using the ZMF Auteur (300 ohms) as the headphone, connected with Arctic Cables Palladium Series cable, and using three acoustic jazz CDs that I know well, my listening observations (obsearvations?) on the Woo WA3 / Woo WA6 are:
1. for overall tonal balance and presentation, the two are very similar.​
2. the bass retrieval by the WA6 runs somewhat deeper than that by the WA3 (effect of the Mullard rectifier?). Bass reproduction from both have satisfying ‘gravitas’.​
3. the sense of “thereness” was slightly greater in the WA3 than in the WA6 (due to absence of output transformer?).​
4. related to the above, transients such as those from snare drums / stick-rim accents had a little more ‘impact’ from the WA3 than from the WA6.​
5. ambience and reverberation / imaging were realistically captured and conveyed by both the WA3 and WA6. A slight advantage to the WA6 on this point (the rectifier effect again? from deeper bass capability).​
6. as for solo acoustic piano, a slightly closer presentation by the WA3 with great rendition of the hammer strike on the piano strings and delineation of individual notes within a chord; the WA6 was excellent here too and captured a bit more of the piano soundboard sound and reverberation.​
7. both were excellent on vocals in terms of diction, projection, and openness; microphone placement ‘seemed’ nearer to singer on the WA3.​
8. the Mullard 6201s (12AT7 type) are fantastic driver tubes for the WA3 and WA6: tremendous dynamic range and involving presentation. Highly recommended! and adapters are needed. 8B13A53C-1F99-4C7B-B695-AC161CE7BA37.jpeg

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #3,752 of 4,845
Using the ZMF Auteur (300 ohms) as the headphone, connected with Arctic Cables Palladium Series cable, and using three acoustic jazz CDs that I know well, my listening observations (obsearvations?) on the Woo WA3 / WA6 are:
1. for overall tonal balance and presentation, the two are very similar.​
2. the bass retrieval by the WA6 runs somewhat deeper than that by the WA3 (effect of the Mullard rectifier?). Bass reproduction from both have satisfying ‘gravitas’.​
3. the sense of “thereness” was slightly greater in the WA3 than in the WA6 (due to absence of output transformer?).​
4. related to the above, transients such as those from snare drums / stick-rim accents had a little more ‘impact’ from the WA3 than from the WA6.​
5. ambience and reverberation / imaging were realistically captured and conveyed by both the WA3 and WA6. A slight advantage to the WA6 on this point (the rectifier effect again? from deeper bass capability).​
6. as for solo acoustic piano, a slightly closer presentation by the WA3 with great rendition of the hammer strike on the piano strings and delineation of individual notes within a chord; the WA6 was excellent here too and captured a bit more of the piano soundboard sound and reverberation.​
7. both were excellent on vocals in terms of diction, projection, and openness; microphone placement ‘seemed’ nearer to singer on the WA3.​
8. the Mullard 6201s (12AT7 type) are fantastic driver tubes for the WA3 and WA6: tremendous dynamic range and involving presentation. Highly recommended! and adapters are needed.8B13A53C-1F99-4C7B-B695-AC161CE7BA37.jpeg

Thanks for the assessment. I have the WA6SE, running an old RCA 5U4, and 6FD7's. I am curious about your experience with the Arctic Cables Palladium headphone cable. You evidently consider it well worth the relatively extremely steep cost. I've been interested in this cable myself. What characteristics do you consider better with it than with your previous cables, and what were these previous cables?

May 23, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #3,753 of 4,845
Thanks for the assessment. I have the WA6SE, running an old RCA 5U4, and 6FD7's. I am curious about your experience with the Arctic Cables Palladium headphone cable. You evidently consider it well worth the relatively extremely steep cost. I've been interested in this cable myself. What characteristics do you consider better with it than with your previous cables, and what were these previous cables?
The AC Palladium Series - which are the predecessor to the Opera Series - convey all the music, the shades, the dynamics, the impact without ‘smear’ or ‘nano-delay’. These, the Grand Lavricable Silver series, and the Norne Vykari are to my ears the next best to “no cables at all.” The ACs are expensive but with the mini-XLR terminations, I can use them with ZMF Auteur, Audeze LCD-X, and other headphones thereby ‘spreading’ the cost.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #3,755 of 4,845
I love the look of the Sophias. The Brimar does a similar job at a third of the cost, but nothing looks as pretty as a pair of Sophia rectifiers, especially when parked next to a pair of the 300b tubes in the WA5.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Jun 11, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #3,756 of 4,845
Brimar KB/FB (Footscray) all the way!!...5R4GY + CV4033...:
379D4308-D3E7-4791-8790-FD81BACFCFB4.jpeg

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #3,758 of 4,845
@jonathan c, are those 12AU7 tubes? And where did you get the tubes adapters?
Those are 12AT7 type tubes and the very best of that type that I have heard. Others on the Mjolnir II Impressions thread are raving about them, too. The adapters are from Xuling Audio Labs.

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #3,759 of 4,845
Those are 12AT7 type tubes and the very best of that type that I have heard. Others on the Mjolnir II Impressions thread are raving about them, too. The adapters are from Xuling Audio Labs.
I must add: the WA6 that I have is 1st generation with the 6DE7 sockets.

Jun 11, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #3,761 of 4,845
I run that Brimar with a set of fat bottle Sylvanias. Very good combo.
Likewise I like the Brimar, lately have been running it with ProComm 6fd7s from the 1950s.

Jun 11, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #3,762 of 4,845
I run that Brimar with a set of fat bottle Sylvanias. Very good combo.

Likewise I like the Brimar, lately have been running it with ProComm 6fd7s from the 1950s.

+1 for both the fat-bottle Sylvanias and the ProComms. Both are among my favorite tubes for the WA6.

Jun 26, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #3,763 of 4,845
So I have a question, but first an explanation:

I’ve owned a 2nd Gen WA6-SE for I guess at least a year. It is by far the best sounding amp I’ve heard with my ZMF headphones. Absolutely magical. While the ZMFs sound very different from each other, I’ve never heard either sound anything close to has good as they do on the Woo.

I also have a Lyr 3 which I prefer with my Focal Clear. The Lyr tempers the rough edges of the Clear while allowing full use of the dynamics, clarity and detail it can deliver. The Clear doesn’t pair as well with the Woo (Bass gets too loose for my taste thanks to a relatively low overall impedance).The ZMFs also sound great on the Lyr3, though not as good as on the Woo. I generally prefer the ZMFs on either amp over the Clear /Lyr3.

So here’s my question: to me the WA-6SE is a mind blowing amp, yet the WA6 thread is a lot less active that the WA22, WA5 and WA33 threads. Are they that much better that the WA6 is the little brother?

Jun 27, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #3,764 of 4,845
So I have a question, but first an explanation:

I’ve owned a 2nd Gen WA6-SE for I guess at least a year. It is by far the best sounding amp I’ve heard with my ZMF headphones. Absolutely magical. While the ZMFs sound very different from each other, I’ve never heard either sound anything close to has good as they do on the Woo.

I also have a Lyr 3 which I prefer with my Focal Clear. The Lyr tempers the rough edges of the Clear while allowing full use of the dynamics, clarity and detail it can deliver. The Clear doesn’t pair as well with the Woo (Bass gets too loose for my taste thanks to a relatively low overall impedance).The ZMFs also sound great on the Lyr3, though not as good as on the Woo. I generally prefer the ZMFs on either amp over the Clear /Lyr3.

So here’s my question: to me the WA-6SE is a mind blowing amp, yet the WA6 thread is a lot less active that the WA22, WA5 and WA33 threads. Are they that much better that the WA6 is the little brother?
Maybe the WA6 owners are busy listening rather than busy posting 😜. Also, don’t forget that the other Woo amplifiers take more tubes to run: hence more can go wrong and thus generate thread traffic. In any event, I am right now listening to Chet Baker’s Last Great Concert: gear is WA6 1st Gen (6DE7 sockets), Norne Audio Vykari cable, Focal Clear (original) w/Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads. For me, the Clear pairs fantastically well with the WA6. If the right rectifier tube is used, bass is d-e-e-p, firm, and tactile. I alternate between Brimar 5R4GY and Mullard GZ34. For the driver tubes: Brimar CV4033 [KB/FB Footscray plant 1957] on adapters. 🎶🎶. The impedance switch is on the low setting for the Clears. [Note: I would raise the flag for a 200 ohm version of the Clear for OTL headphone amplifiers.]

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #3,765 of 4,845
Maybe the WA6 owners are busy listening rather than busy posting 😜. Also, don’t forget that the other Woo amplifiers take more tubes to run: hence more can go wrong and thus generate thread traffic. In any event, I am right now listening to Chet Baker’s Last Great Concert: gear is WA6 1st Gen (6DE7 sockets), Norne Audio Vykari cable, Focal Clear (original) w/Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads. For me, the Clear pairs fantastically well with the WA6. If the right rectifier tube is used, bass is d-e-e-p, firm, and tactile. I alternate between Brimar 5R4GY and Mullard GZ34. For the driver tubes: Brimar CV4033 [KB/FB Footscray plant 1957] on adapters. 🎶🎶. The impedance switch is on the low setting for the Clears. [Note: I would raise the flag for a 200 ohm version of the Clear for OTL headphone amplifiers.]
I used to have a Focal Elex with fenestrated sheepskin pads that I thought sounded amazing on the Woo. Better to my tastes than the Clear / Lyr or Clear Woo. I didn’t try the Clear with the fenestrated sheepskin though. Didn’t think of it.

Oh and if Focal is listening, I think a 200 Ohm Elex, Stella and / or Utopia would be a sure hit too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back