Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Jun 27, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #3,766 of 4,839
My guess for less posting is the first generation WA6 and WA6 SE have been out of production for several years now. The WA6 in particular was/is a great affordable tube rolling amp so it generated lots of tube related discussion. Then there was the inevitable comparing the two models and more tube related to and fro.
The second generation amps slowed tube rollers down and so went the discussions.
The latest generations of the WA22 and WA5 still use the original tube sets so the attention goes there. An assist goes to some of the high end new production tubes of recent years.
Love rolling my 1st generation 6 and 22 but at present I don’t engage in much on line as the focus leans towards the ultimate tube sets and I focus on the middle ground or lower and using my kit. I suspect most people are in the same boat as it is really simple economics in the end. The 33 is another animal altogether and another demographic with the astronomically more expensive options and tube sets.
Today my WA6 is rocking a Sophia Princess 274B which is a competent rectifier but realistically it’s strength is looks… It is powering a pair of Toshiba Tokyo Shibaura 6DE7 NOS from Woo Audio. Guessing they were made in the 70s and they are the best none 6SN7 type tube I have heard in the amp. They get no love on these forums.
The WA22 is loaded up for war… WWII vintage Sylvania VT-231 from the USN, a Korean War vintage RCA JAN CV717 5R4GY rectifier and finally the power tubes are run of the mill RCA SC1768 6AS7G From 1950 and 53. These tubes are easy to source, affordable, and perform oh so close to tubes and amps I have auditioned costing thousands more. Rolled these in last night after a stretch with 60-70s era Mullards. Every time I roll them in they wow me without fail. This time is special, the first try out with new Sennheiser HD820 phones. Phenomenal.

Woo and cheap tubes can be magical but they will never be sexy to talk about so we don’t :frowning2:

Jun 27, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #3,767 of 4,839
My guess for less posting is the first generation WA6 and WA6 SE have been out of production for several years now. The WA6 in particular was/is a great affordable tube rolling amp so it generated lots of tube related discussion. Then there was the inevitable comparing the two models and more tube related to and fro.
The second generation amps slowed tube rollers down and so went the discussions.
The latest generations of the WA22 and WA5 still use the original tube sets so the attention goes there. An assist goes to some of the high end new production tubes of recent years.
Love rolling my 1st generation 6 and 22 but at present I don’t engage in much on line as the focus leans towards the ultimate tube sets and I focus on the middle ground or lower and using my kit. I suspect most people are in the same boat as it is really simple economics in the end. The 33 is another animal altogether and another demographic with the astronomically more expensive options and tube sets.
Today my WA6 is rocking a Sophia Princess 274B which is a competent rectifier but realistically it’s strength is looks… It is powering a pair of Toshiba Tokyo Shibaura 6DE7 NOS from Woo Audio. Guessing they were made in the 70s and they are the best none 6SN7 type tube I have heard in the amp. They get no love on these forums.
The WA22 is loaded up for war… WWII vintage Sylvania VT-231 from the USN, a Korean War vintage RCA JAN CV717 5R4GY rectifier and finally the power tubes are run of the mill RCA SC1768 6AS7G From 1950 and 53. These tubes are easy to source, affordable, and perform oh so close to tubes and amps I have auditioned costing thousands more. Rolled these in last night after a stretch with 60-70s era Mullards. Every time I roll them in they wow me without fail. This time is special, the first try out with new Sennheiser HD820 phones. Phenomenal.

Woo and cheap tubes can be magical but they will never be sexy to talk about so we don’t :frowning2:
Your last sentence reminds me of the classic submarine movie: Run Silent, Run Deep. For tubes not lionised on HF threads: Run Silent, Run Cheap !

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #3,769 of 4,839

Makes sense.

Jun 28, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #3,770 of 4,839
Listening to Boston, Don't look back.
Brimar 5z4gy rectifier, Ken Rad 6sn7gt vt 231 drivers.
Hifiman Ananda

Sounds so sublime. I've been to head-fi meets and have listened to lots of hi end gear. And have owned quite a bit of gear myself.
I dare to say, this is the best I've heard for my taste. I don't see ever selling this amp. With the right combination of tubes this amp is a beast.
20210628_194206.jpg

Jun 29, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #3,771 of 4,839
Hifiman Ananda

Sounds so sublime. I've been to head-fi meets and have listened to lots of hi end gear. And have owned quite a bit of gear myself.
I dare to say, this is the best I've heard for my taste. I don't see ever selling this amp. With the right combination of tubes this amp is a beast.
20210628_194206.jpg
👍 While I have no experience with the Ken-Rads, I do say that you have one of the best (while sanely priced) rectifier tubes. My experience with my beloved WA6 (1st Gen) is that the rectifier has a pronounced effect on sound quality. Enjoy! 🎶🎶🎶

Jun 29, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #3,772 of 4,839
👍 While I have no experience with the Ken-Rads, I do say that you have one of the best (while sanely priced) rectifier tubes. My experience with my beloved WA6 (1st Gen) is that the rectifier has a pronounced effect on sound quality. Enjoy! 🎶🎶🎶
Ditto on rectifier for 2nd Gen. IME the rectifier makes a bigger difference than the driver tube on the WA6. At least between tubes of the same type and condition.

Jun 29, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #3,773 of 4,839
Ditto on rectifier for 2nd Gen. IME the rectifier makes a bigger difference than the driver tube on the WA6. At least between tubes of the same type and condition.
It seems to me (not an e/e) that the driver tubes can only work optimally if the rectifier tube converts the ac to dc without any spurious output or by-products.

Jul 1, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #3,774 of 4,839
After 2-3 weeks with Brimar 5z4G and ProComm 6fd7, I rolled my Mullard gz37 back in and remembered that through all the rectifiers, it’s my favorite. Absolute maxing out of true timbre and touch, greater differences between all textures, piano size on stage, even at lower volume, dynamic swings breathe. All the various drum differences are so apparent - maybe fat, or real skin touch, sometimes rifle shot (Brian Blade), etc.

This with my 1st Gen WA6 with Woo’s upgraded caps from a few years back.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #3,775 of 4,839
After 2-3 weeks with Brimar 5z4G and ProComm 6fd7, I rolled my Mullard gz37 back in and remembered that through all the rectifiers, it’s my favorite. Absolute maxing out of true timbre and touch, greater differences between all textures, piano size on stage, volume is lower but dynamic swings breathe. All the various drum differences are so apparent - maybe fat, or real skin touch, sometimes rifle shot (Brian Blade), etc.

This with my 1st Gen WA6 with Woo’s upgraded caps from a few years back.

So far the best combo on my Gen 2 SE is a Mullard GZ34 rectifier with Phillips fat bottle 13FD7s.

Detailed and holographic, no graininess, lots of air, solid clear bass, neutral timbre with slightly smoothed treble, great dynamics, zero noise.

Jul 2, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #3,776 of 4,839
So far the best combo on my Gen 2 SE is a Mullard GZ34 rectifier with Phillips fat bottle 13FD7s.

Detailed and holographic, no graininess, lots of air, solid clear bass, neutral timbre with slightly smoothed treble, great dynamics, zero noise.
On WA6 Gen-1, I’ll go: Brimar 5R4GY rectifier + Brimar CV4033 KB/FB 1956-57 (Footscray :black_medium_square: getter).

Aug 7, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #3,779 of 4,839
Hifiman Ananda

20210628_194206.jpg
Looks cool! Is this 1st generation? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back