Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Jan 3, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #3,301 of 4,839
Anyone else find the Mullard GZ34 a little too sterile? The sound is very focused and there is a good amount of inner detail and it's technically good but I can't get over the coldness in comparison to the Sophia Princess it replaced. Mine is has a f32 date code and made by Amperex

I'll listen to it a little bit more and see if I can adjust to the sound

Jan 3, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #3,302 of 4,839
Anyone else find the Mullard GZ34 a little too sterile? The sound is very focused and there is a good amount of inner detail and it's technically good but I can't get over the coldness in comparison to the Sophia Princess it replaced.

All of the GZ 34s are made by Mullard and re-stamped to different brands, as I recall. The silver base models are superior. I have a matched pair from 1957. I have yet to hear anything that bests them. They don't look terribly impressive, but for sound-- I've tried many different rectifiers-- I can't find one I like as much. I have a WA5LE V2.

I do want to hear the Taks. I hear they are better, but at $1600 dollars or so, My $500 dollar matched pair are sitting fine.

Feb 16, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #3,303 of 4,839
Here's my Woo WA6 SE set up. Power tubes are FD, the rectifier a WE 422. Cans Grado RS2e. I made the cabinet myself using some California local natural hard-wood branches (manzanita: Arctostaphylos sp.) as shelf spacers, headphone stand and drawer grip. The drawer is painted white inside, so that it easier to see the various tubes, cables and small accessories. I think the wood goes well with the wood of the Grado headphones and the Beautiful audio leather pads.

I enjoy particularly vinyl, and just upgraded to a VPI Super Prime Scout with a SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC* cartridge, going to a Vincent PHO 701 with a Brimar 12AU7 tube. Signal switching between Woo and integrated speaker amp is done with a Tisbury passive mini preamp that is cabled reversed through the tape loop.

There are some CDs around as well and play FLAC from computer to the DAC in a Rotel RA1572.

I listen from renaissance viola da gamba consorts (Byrd, Saint Colombe) and HIP baroque music, through 80s Indies (Vomit Launch, Nice Strong Arm, Salem 66) and new wave (Joy Division, Spear of Destiny, old Cure) and punk (The Ex, Upright Citizen, Bastro, Big Black) to dark wave (Boy Harsher, Zanias, Linea Aspera, Mittageisen) and some electronica (eg., Xeno & Oaklander, Minuit Machine, Hante).

The biggest issue after upgrading the TT is that the Grado cans sound dull, particularly compared to my speakers (B&W CM6). The high frequencies are very much subdued. It is not the Woo or the combo of Vincent & Woo, because the Grado sound just as dull through the solid state Rotel. I may look at some additional headphones, maybe some planar ones? Any suggestions/experiences with this and what to look into?

_36A4039_DxO.jpg
_36A4023_DxO.jpg

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #3,305 of 4,839
Here's my Woo WA6 SE set up. Power tubes are FD, the rectifier a WE 422. Cans Grado RS2e. I made the cabinet myself using some California local natural hard-wood branches (manzanita: Arctostaphylos sp.) as shelf spacers, headphone stand and drawer grip. The drawer is painted white inside, so that it easier to see the various tubes, cables and small accessories. I think the wood goes well with the wood of the Grado headphones and the Beautiful audio leather pads.

I enjoy particularly vinyl, and just upgraded to a VPI Super Prime Scout with a SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC* cartridge, going to a Vincent PHO 701 with a Brimar 12AU7 tube. Signal switching between Woo and integrated speaker amp is done with a Tisbury passive mini preamp that is cabled reversed through the tape loop.

There are some CDs around as well and play FLAC from computer to the DAC in a Rotel RA1572.

I listen from renaissance viola da gamba consorts (Byrd, Saint Colombe) and HIP baroque music, through 80s Indies (Vomit Launch, Nice Strong Arm, Salem 66) and new wave (Joy Division, Spear of Destiny, old Cure) and punk (The Ex, Upright Citizen, Bastro, Big Black) to dark wave (Boy Harsher, Zanias, Linea Aspera, Mittageisen) and some electronica (eg., Xeno & Oaklander, Minuit Machine, Hante).

The biggest issue after upgrading the TT is that the Grado cans sound dull, particularly compared to my speakers (B&W CM6). The high frequencies are very much subdued. It is not the Woo or the combo of Vincent & Woo, because the Grado sound just as dull through the solid state Rotel. I may look at some additional headphones, maybe some planar ones? Any suggestions/experiences with this and what to look into?

_36A4039_DxO.jpg_36A4023_DxO.jpg
As a woodworker myself, I appreciate what you have built. Love the headphone stand. Very nice rig indeed. I used to have the Grados. They were to bright for me, actually hurt my ears. I went planar and never looked back. HE 560 to be exact. With the right amp and DAC they sound sublime. I can vouch for the fact that they sound amazing on the WA6.

Feb 16, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #3,306 of 4,839
Been awhile since I rolled any tubes in my WA6. Just swapped out my Sophia 274b with the Brimar 4gy, and some vintage Magnavox 6SN7 chrome top drivers. WOW, simply astounding combination with the HE 560 and Audio gd DAC 19. Probably my favorite so far. Listening to postrock album Distant Dream, it all starts from pieces.

Feb 18, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #3,307 of 4,839
Can a WA6 (non-se) run a set of audeze LCD2C?

Auedeze claim they need 250mv at 70ohms which based on what I've seen in this thread should be doable (rough figures out it ~500mv at 70ohm).
Thankyou

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #3,308 of 4,839

Auedeze claim they need 250mv at 70ohms which based on what I've seen in this thread should be doable (rough figures out it ~500mv at 70ohm).
Thankyou

Should be okay.

I am curious, for those with WA6SE, how many here run their LCD2 or LCD2C plug into the "high impedence" jack rather than the "low impedence" jack?

Feb 19, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #3,309 of 4,839

Thankyou
HE 560 are harder to drive than LCD2c on the WA6. With 6FD7 or 6SN7 tubes I never turn the volume past 12 o clock. And I listen loud. Also some rectifiers have higher gain than others. My Brimar has higher gain than my SP 274b. But both are plenty sufficient.

Mar 4, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #3,310 of 4,839

Thankyou

Yes, but you might prefer more power. i find the LCD series prefers higher power. They worked much better on the WA22 but a whole different level with the WA5. The 2 is a bit darker than my LCD3f if I recall correctly, and they wanted juice to come alive.

Mar 9, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #3,311 of 4,839
Yes, but you might prefer more power. i find the LCD series prefers higher power. They worked much better on the WA22 but a whole different level with the WA5. The 2 is a bit darker than my LCD3f if I recall correctly, and they wanted juice to come alive.
I second that in a way. Although my LCD-X is great on the WA6-SE, it like it even more using speaker amps with some resistors to lower the power a bit and the noise floor.

Mar 25, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #3,313 of 4,839

_36A4039_DxO.jpg_36A4023_DxO.jpg

Great work and very nice set-up.

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #3,315 of 4,839

Thanks for the good description of your setup.

I'll follow suit with my own, very much a working headphone audio setup in a spare office room not subject to spousal interference or decor criticism:

My system components are:

Cans: Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC, HE1000se, HD800S w. Stefan Audio Arts mod. Amps: Moon Audio Dragon Inspire IHA-1, Woo Audio WA-6SE, and finally a portable battery-powered Chord Hugo 2 (this contains both headphone amp and DAC). Sources: Yggdrasil DAC and Hugo 2 DAC, Samsung Galaxy S4 tablet. Cables: Revelation Audio dual conduit USB, Cardas Clear dual conduit USB, Magnan Type Vi interconnects, Norne Draug 3 and Corpse Cables Gravedigger headphone cables. Power: Foundation Research LC-10, LC-2, LC-1. Tweaks: many, including the VPI bricks shown which make a very nice improvement.

Presently, as my main source I'm ripping CDs from my large collection on my PC and sending the WAV and FLAC files to the Galaxy S4 tablet via a USB cable. Also, I'm obtaining a few high-res titles from HDTracks. As the primary setup I'm running the audiophile UAPP
20200325_083807.jpg
Android USB music player software app on the tablet to process and send the files to the Yggdrasil and Woo WA-6SE using the Cardas Clear dual conduit USB cable. The WA-6SE is running 6FD7s and a PSVane 274B rectifier. I'm also using an iFi USB iSilencer active cancellation noise filter with the Cardas USB cable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back