Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Apr 14, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #3,335 of 4,839
hey

are those numbers for 6F8G Sylvania tube consider good?

Amplitrex AT1000 Test Results
Mutual Conductance
2600 = SPEC
Emission
8.0 gV = SPEC
Noise TestGas & Shorts
TUBE #1 2760/2700 (106.2/103.8%) 8.0/8.2 (100.0/102.5)4/3PASS
TUBE #2 2710/2750 (104.2/105.8%) 8.0/8.1 (100.0/101.3%) 3/3PASS

• PERFECT = 0.0%
  • Balance (Balance Goal = Mhos > 5% / Gv > 10%)
    • Tube 1: A to B = Mhos - 2.3% Gv - 2.5%
    • Tube 2: A to B = Mhos - 1.5% Gv - 1.3%
  • Match (Tube 1 to Tube 2) (Match Goal = Mhos > 5% / Gv > 10%)
    • Tube 1A to 2A = Mhos - 1.9% Gv - 0.0%
    • Tube 1B to 2B = Mhos - 1.9% Gv - 1.3%
Microphonics Test Scale: 5 = Ultra Low; 4 = Very Very Low; 3 Very Low

Apr 14, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #3,336 of 4,839
are those numbers for 6F8G Sylvania tube consider good?
Yes!
Keep in mind "Noise Test" is subjective and likely done by someone plugging the tube in a preamp or amp and listening... Everything else done by a tube tester so results are not subjective.

Apr 14, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #3,337 of 4,839
Yes!
Keep in mind "Noise Test" is subjective and likely done by someone plugging the tube in a preamp or amp and listening... Everything else done by a tube tester so results are not subjective.

thanks a lot :)

could you help me again as am new to this amp, o there is lots of pages to read, i got the 6f8g just because they look cool, i need another set of tube that could give me
a warm yet clear sound with transparent treble , i don't like the bright signature

i got the wa6 old version and hd650 and hd800 basic version

Apr 14, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #3,338 of 4,839
I will let others reply to your tube recommendation questions, since I did very little tube rolling on the WA6.
Also, I have not used my WA6 in a while...

Apr 15, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #3,339 of 4,839
thanks a lot :)

could you help me again as am new to this amp, o there is lots of pages to read, i got the 6f8g just because they look cool, i need another set of tube that could give me
a warm yet clear sound with transparent treble , i don't like the bright signature

i got the wa6 old version and hd650 and hd800 basic version

I'm sold on the 6SN7 tubes (you need adaptors). They are the clearest, non bright treble I have tried. The NOS 6SN7 tubes are the best. You can pick up a good pair on EBay for about $50 on up. You can get adaptors on EBay or from Woo.

Apr 15, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #3,340 of 4,839
I'm sold on the 6SN7 tubes (you need adaptors). They are the clearest, non bright treble I have tried. The NOS 6SN7 tubes are the best. You can pick up a good pair on EBay for about $50 on up. You can get adaptors on EBay or from Woo.
One thing to keep in mind:
There is a HUGE selection of 6SN7 tubes, and their sound signature could vary A LOT between manufacturers, year or production (manufacturers changed internal design every few years), etc. etc. Also same 6SN7 could sound very different on WA6 than other amps that use that tube type (due to different amp architecture).

I would highly recommend getting recommendations, from others who rolled 6SN7 tubes in their WA6, for specific 6SN7 tubes that have the sound signature you're after, on the WA6.

Apr 15, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #3,341 of 4,839
One thing to keep in mind:
There is a HUGE selection of 6SN7 tubes, and their sound signature could vary A LOT between manufacturers, year or production (manufacturers changed internal design every few years), etc. etc. Also same 6SN7 could sound very different on WA6 than other amps that use that tube type (due to different amp architecture).

I would highly recommend getting recommendations, from others who rolled 6SN7 tubes in their WA6, for specific 6SN7 tubes that have the sound signature you're after, on the WA6.

I have about 20 pair of 6sn7 tubes from all major manufacturers except Ken Rad. Ken Rad tubes are just too expensive, however I have read that they sound great. While I agree mostly that the sound sig of 6sn7 does vary, I still like all of mine better than any of the other variants available for the WA6. The only one that comes close are the 6fd7 IMO. I own at least 25 pair of tubes that I will never listen too again. I should just sell them. This is only my experience. By all means, get other advise besides mine.

Apr 15, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #3,342 of 4,839
thanks a lot guys :

i ended up getting those tubes and i can't really try them as my wa6 hasn't arrived yet :

1-Sophia as rectifier

sophia_electric_princess_274b_mesh_rectifier_1477100567_c83d4b4d.jpg

2-sylvania 6fd7 the stock tubes

Matched-Pair-Sylvania-6FD7-Double-Triode-Tube-Valve.jpg

3-sylvania vt-99 6F8G, got them for the look only, I have no clue how they sound and i couldn't find any info about them,

buc16ou0708yxj9v29tj.jpg

4-from the recommendation of housekrl i read the 6sn7 thread and after 4 hours of reading i decided between the Ken Rad and the RCA VT-231 Grey glass and for a money reason i went with the RCA

s-l400.jpg

Apr 16, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #3,343 of 4,839
thanks a lot guys :

i ended up getting those tubes and i can't really try them as my wa6 hasn't arrived yet :

1-Sophia as rectifier

2-sylvania 6fd7 the stock tubes

3-sylvania vt-99 6F8G, got them for the look only, I have no clue how they sound and i couldn't find any info about them,

4-from the recommendation of housekrl i read the 6sn7 thread and after 4 hours of reading i decided between the Ken Rad and the RCA VT-231 Grey glass and for a money reason i went with the RCA

[ATTACH type="full" widt

Looks like some good choices. Let us know how they sound.

Apr 18, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #3,344 of 4,839
My second day with my new WA6-2nd gen, w/ NOS NIB 1963 RCA 5U4G Rectifier Tube Black Plate &
first day w/ 13FD7 Tubes RCA USA NOS Fat Bottle Black Plate.

I’m slowly getting used to the tube sound. So far the best sounding headphone has been my HD650 followed by the HD600 & LCD 2 rev.2. But the HD650 really shines with the WA6 & rectifier/ tubes combination. I reluctantly am writing about the so called veil disappearing (I’ve owned the HD650 for years & have never found it to have a veil) with the WA6 but honestly it’s probably mostly a combination made for one another. I mean, I can hear very detailed percussion sounds even when there are many instruments playing simultaneously; the instrument separation is pretty good. One thing many audiophiles forget is that the production of the recorded material is key to many variables in sound as opposed to audio equipment being strictly responsible for it’s quality. But the tube sound is definitely there : thick, lush but as already mentioned, detailed and spacious. On some recording even fast transient. I’m pretty happy with this set up so far. It’s a nice change from my other SS amps. :thumbsup:

:flag_um:Stay safe everyone & keep the faith.:flag_ca:17C17DB0-14CF-4DFD-906A-70274493D054.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #3,345 of 4,839
I’m finding the true importance of proper recording production with the WA6 2nd gen than with previous amps that I can remember. For example I’m listening to the album “There will be light” by Ben Harper and the Blind Boys of Alabama; the sound is clear, detailed, instrument separation is A+ and the overall tone is lush and dynamic. Listening w/ HD600 BTW. On other albums, e.g. John Mayer’s “Born and raised” the sound was very good but a bit grainy at times, depending of the song/ track. Can it be attributed to the recording, or, the amp, the tubes, the headphone ??? I’ve tried listening w/ the HD650 and LCD 2 rev2 and the graininess sounded buried but a bit muffled instead. So, the HD600 having clearer highs than the other two exposes the graininess and the warmer headphones muffles it. I don’t think it’s the amp in this case but most likely the recording. My point ? Sometimes we jump too quickly at the conclusion that it’s the amp’s or headphone’s or source’s fault when sound “imperfections” are exposed. I strongly believe that most of the time it has more to do with the production of the recording. A more expensive amp, DAC or headphone won’t necessarily “fix” or “perfect” some of the sound defaults. P.S. I really like this amp. :flag_um: Stay strong, stay safe, keep the faith:flag_ca:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back