Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Apr 20, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #3,346 of 4,839
I strongly believe that most of the time it has more to do with the production of the recording. A more expensive amp, DAC or headphone won’t necessarily “fix” or “perfect” some of the sound defaults.
Totally agree with this and found that the more revealing your gear is, the recording can sound even worse.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #3,348 of 4,839
Loving the WA6~2nd gen more and more as the days go by. During this period of evaluation and judgement of it’s sound quality, I’m focusing on not being swept off by the ”new audio toy/ pink cloud” syndrome. My music is not downloaded, I listen to CDs and use the Schiit Loki tone adjuster which I really like. Some albums need more bass &/ or sub bass, other albums, a tad more mid-range, etc. Right now I’m listening to JJ Cale albums and the overall sound quality is truly mesmerizing at times. Having listened to these albums repeatedly over the years, it seems that on some tracks anyways, that some instruments have switched from, e.g., the forefront to the background & vice versa. Some subtle percussion, sparingly organ notes or finger snapping are a bit more discernable also. But even with these differences and changes nothing is lost or buried/ replaced. There‘s just “more” and even, e.g. guitars now relegated into the background, sound clear where you can discern the strumming at times. It’s quite a new experience and an enjoyable one. The only regret so far with this amp is that I realize I could have bought it sooner as in, a few years ago. BTW I now find the HD600 to be my headphone of choice with the WA6 replacing the HD650 after a few days. I’ve never been without a pair of HD600 since 2003 and they’ve never sounded better. They absolutely shine with this amp. Happy Audiophile Camper here. :flag_um: Stay safe, keep the faith.:flag_ca: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #3,349 of 4,839
BTW I now find the HD600 to be my headphone of choice with the WA6 replacing the HD650 after a few days. I’ve never been without a pair of HD600 since 2003 and they’ve never sounded better. They absolutely shine with this amp. Happy Audiophile Camper here. :flag_um: Stay safe, keep the faith.:flag_ca: :thumbsup:

i love the pairing of Senn and Woo. I had the 6SE some years ago, and moved up to the WA22, which I still have, along with the WA5.

The magic pairing is the WA22 running in fully balanced mode, with a balanced source and using balanced HP cables. Sheer magic, as I find that the HD650 wants more power than the WA6 SE.

BTW, like your music choices. I’ve loved the Blind Boys and regret I never got to see JJ Cale in concert when he was alive.

Apr 25, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #3,350 of 4,839
Strong Arm,

I have Dan Clark Aeon Closed, "Planar Headhones." I am impressed with their clarity and resolution. The open backed version would be the choice for you. Available at drop.com, $499.
Just got the Ether 2. posted an initial impression on it under that thread. Thanks for pointing me to Dan Clark!

Apr 27, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #3,351 of 4,839
Recently purchased a WA6 SE Gen 2 with the 274B Sophia rectifier upgrade. Using my ZMF Eikon phones with this amp.

The amp is fed from a Chord Hugo 2 with a pair of Cardas Parsec interconnects between them. Coming from the amp I get a little wider soundstage and slightly more power in the bass than coming straight out of the Hugo.

Overall I like powering the headphones with the amp better. I am getting a more dynamic midrange with the amp, but occasionally the vocals will shout at me, or be aggressive which I'd like to tame. A richer more bass heavy sound would be welcome also.

I'm curious about what kind of changes substituting the 13EM7 tubes (with adapters) will get me?

Apr 27, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #3,352 of 4,839
I'm curious about what kind of changes substituting the 13EM7 tubes (with adapters) will get me?
I don't know what the combo of Sophia Princess with your headphones will sound like with the 13EM7. For me with WE422 on Ether 2, in comparison, they are a bit more detailed, and also seem to be more powerful (turn volume down) than the FDs. I noticed that Woo sells a pair of 13EM7 with adapter for $150, while elsewhere tubes go for something like $6-7. The tube adaptors from Woo are $40/each, so tubes from Woo run $35/each.

Apr 27, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #3,354 of 4,839
I just substituted the stock rectifier back in this morning and some of the shout is gone. Maybe it's the Princess that I don't care for in this combination of components?
Hmm, recently switched between WE422 and the stock rectifier, and the stock sounds pretty pathetic and dull. I would definitely try some different rectifiers. I have just gotten a brown base Philipps and a RCA 5U4G. The Phillips at 1/2 to 1/4 price of the WE422 sounds very close, maybe a tiny bit less sparkle with cymbals (Firehose: let the drummer have some), The much cheaper RCA can't quite compete.

Apr 27, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #3,355 of 4,839
One of the strangest looking rectifier tubes that I've ever seen just arrived. I'm told that this kind of tube is called a 'potato masher' tube. No idea how it sounds, but I will try it later.

Potato Masher Tube.jpg

Apr 28, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #3,357 of 4,839
Can anyone comment on the Sophia Princess 274b vs 1950s Brimar 5Z4G?

Looking for any differences and driver tubes that pair better with one over another.

Thankyou

I have both - I swapped the Sophia for the Brimar on my WA22 and it sounded great. I really couldn’t tell any noticeable differences, not like swapping 6SN7s. I run the Sophias now on my WA5 but mostly because they look better.

I am running RCA black base 6SN7s, and have played with Sylvania, JAN, and Westinghouse branded GTs. Prefer the RCA but the Sylvania has nice firm bass, if just a tad glassy on the top end.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #3,358 of 4,839

I have both - I swapped the Sophia for the Brimar on my WA22 and it sounded great. I really couldn’t tell any noticeable differences, not like swapping 6SN7s. I run the Sophias now on my WA5 but mostly because they look better.

Thankyou

Already own the Sophia, was hoping a local sale may have been worth jumping on

Apr 28, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #3,359 of 4,839
Can anyone comment on the Sophia Princess 274b vs 1950s Brimar 5Z4G?

Looking for any differences and driver tubes that pair better with one over another.

Thankyou
I have both. The Brimar has higher gain, much fuller, more bass, just much better.
Edit: and much cheaper

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #3,360 of 4,839
Hmm, recently switched between WE422 and the stock rectifier, and the stock sounds pretty pathetic and dull. I would definitely try some different rectifiers. I have just gotten a brown base Philipps and a RCA 5U4G. The Phillips at 1/2 to 1/4 price of the WE422 sounds very close, maybe a tiny bit less sparkle with cymbals (Firehose: let the drummer have some), The much cheaper RCA can't quite compete.

Talked with Michael at Woo the other day and he suggested more break in time as well as using a different DAC. I moved the amp to the main system and am playing it with my PS Direct Stream DAC instead. Been running it with the Sophia tube and checking the sound periodically. It seems to be getting better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back