Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Oct 21, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #3,273 of 4,839
Verum 1 with Arctic Canare L4E6S cable:

really good overall

Sony MDR V6 :

spicy mids/trebles and strong bass impact

Sony MDR Z7 M2 with upgraded cable:

rich and full and easy sound

AudioQuest original liquid wood cups version of NightHawk with LQI silver over copper UP-OCC or comparable upgraded cable and pad ring removed from pads to prevent reverberation inside the ear cups:

these are good if you like a laid-back, smoother sound

Sennheiser HD800:

but the WA6 doesn't have all that much gain and you may have to turn the WA6 volume control all the way up with some recordings if you use a DAC or other source with an output of less than 2V
+ 1 for the Verum 1 headphones

Oct 22, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #3,274 of 4,839
I use the Brimar 5Z4G and 6FD7 in my WA6SE. Over extended use of the 5Z4G rectifier tube, has anyone noticed the buildup of a mirror coating like a getter on the inside of the clear top? This has happened with two different Brimar 5Z4Gs in my WA6SE. Is it an indication of deterioration of the tube?

Oct 27, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #3,275 of 4,839
I wouldnt use 6DE7 with any closed back headphone, maybe Mrspeaker Ether C, the tube is very up front (mids and lower frequency will be up closer to you and ultimately bring out the bass). 6sn7 I would comfortably use it with any headphone that already have a little bass hump to it, since I am not a bass head, HE1000se works well for me but the GE 6EW7 works wonderfully as a middle ground.
UPDATED
+ 1 for GE 6EW7 with my WA6SE 1st Gen. The 6EW7 driver tubes have a beautiful sound which I thought was as good as I could afford to obtain until I discovered the Taboo MK III with EL84 and 6922 tubes which took me to another level above that of the 6SE with the SAA modified HD800 and Verum 1 and legacy HE5 headphones on every type of music. My 6SE is now owned by another lucky person.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #3,278 of 4,839
I use the Brimar 5Z4G and 6FD7 in my WA6SE. Over extended use of the 5Z4G rectifier tube, has anyone noticed the buildup of a mirror coating like a getter on the inside of the clear top? This has happened with two different Brimar 5Z4Gs in my WA6SE. Is it an indication of deterioration of the tube?
In my experience that is normal performance with use. When the silver starts turning white is the time to start worrying. Eventually someone with more expertise will chime in.

Oct 31, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #3,279 of 4,839
image.jpg
Would anyone be aware of any dust covers that fit over the wa6 nicely?

I live in a dusty area and want to minimise what gets onto/into the amp when not in use.

Thankyou

The WA6 Signature Cover.

Toaster cover actually.

Nov 1, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #3,280 of 4,839
If the 13fd7 are too brash sounding to you, the 13dr7 is a nice compromise between the 13de7 and the 13fd7.
A change in rectifier tube could also give you "more up close mids" as could something like an ISO REGEN if you hook up directly to a usb cable and want to experiment with a device of that ilk which you may not even like.
Or, it may take a change to an Eddie Current, Trafomatic Head 2, Ragnarok, GS-X mk2 or the discontinued Cavalli Gold or other amps that are known to have a mid-forward sound to get where you want to be with the mids.

I’m now trying a par of Sylvania 13FD7 and WOW! Sounds just like what I’ve been after. Thanks for the tips guys. Super happy with the result. Proeminent mids and vocals. What a difference

Nov 1, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #3,282 of 4,839
Nov 1, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #3,284 of 4,839
Is there an """objective""" list of which tube sounds which way and the characteristics of the tubes; and which would be better suited for which music genres?

13DE7 vs 13EW7 vs 13EM7 vs 13DR7 vs 13DN7 vs 13FD7

5U4G vs 274B
As for rectifiers, + 1 for the rectifier review by DubStep Girl

As to driver tubes, this was posted several years ago by another member regarding WA6 1st Gen and WA6SE 1st Gen but would apply to the like sounding 13 series tubes in the 2nd Gen as well as the 6 series driver tubes:

"6DE7 - Fast transients, good for rock, pop
6EW7 - Softer sound but slightly larger soundstage, good for some jazz, classical
6CY7 - between 6de7 and 6ew7
6DR7 - similar to 6de7 but higher gain
6FD7 - punchy bass, large soundstage, fast transients"

"6sn7 is super linear and offensive to no one's listening
palate but the 6dj8 has a beautiful coloured tone that
is addictive. it also needs the anode plate voltage to be
lowered to around 130v for the 6dj8 and 150v for the
6922 and 7308 to function a long time. it'll work fine at
200v on the wa6SE without any resistor adjustments
but i'm sure it'll lead towards an early grave for the tube."

"favorite ... 6CS7 ... requires
a simple adapter and works fine at 200+ volts. the tone
is as sweet as 6922 but with an even more intimate texture,
soundstage and timbre, especially for acoustic instruments.
acoustic guitar, violin and piano sound great with the 6cs7."

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #3,285 of 4,839
As for rectifiers, + 1 for the rectifier review by DubStep Girl

As to driver tubes, this was posted several years ago by another member regarding WA6 1st Gen and WA6SE 1st Gen but would apply to the like sounding 13 series tubes in the 2nd Gen as well as the 6 series driver tubes:

"6DE7 - Fast transients, good for rock, pop
6EW7 - Softer sound but slightly larger soundstage, good for some jazz, classical
6CY7 - between 6de7 and 6ew7
6DR7 - similar to 6de7 but higher gain
6FD7 - punchy bass, large soundstage, fast transients"

"6sn7 is super linear and offensive to no one's listening
palate but the 6dj8 has a beautiful coloured tone that
is addictive. it also needs the anode plate voltage to be
lowered to around 130v for the 6dj8 and 150v for the
6922 and 7308 to function a long time. it'll work fine at
200v on the wa6SE without any resistor adjustments
but i'm sure it'll lead towards an early grave for the tube."

"favorite ... 6CS7 ... requires
a simple adapter and works fine at 200+ volts. the tone
is as sweet as 6922 but with an even more intimate texture,
soundstage and timbre, especially for acoustic instruments.
acoustic guitar, violin and piano sound great with the 6cs7."

Thank you so much!

there's only one question I am left with an that's the EM7 tubes that woo audio offers on their site with an adapter and mentions it's really a boost to performance.

I got a pair of 13DE7 on the way because I do listen a lot to rock, but I wonder how the 13EM7 would compare, as I can't seem to find if it's a worthy upgrade in comparison, I thank anyone in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back