Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Jan 10, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #1,846 of 4,839
Right, so you, with most others, have the newer version of the amp. In case words were not enough here is a picture. I find that pictures often satisfy when what I say does not.

Yes, clearly it won't fit. Is that a standard 6de7/6fd7 size tube on the right? Here's my top plate with Sylvania 6de7 tubes--lots of room.

Thanks for the info. Guess you could try it without the plate, huh?

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #1,847 of 4,839

So the pins on yours don't go all the way down into the sockets? Looks great, by the way.

Here's a pic from the Woo site; this is the 6em7 adaptor, which looks to have adequate room.

Thank you,
The black rings in the middle of (2-peice) adapters which cover the seams of the adapters do not allow the adapters to pass below the bezel's, but still make more than enough contact with the sockets, so no, the adapters are not fully seated against the sockets , but are seated more than enough that I've never had any issues.

The Woo photo sure looks like it has enough room for the adapters to be fully seated against the sockets…which is how my was before putting the wood/bezel's on…the adapters were fully seated, which is why I don't understand Poteroso's issue with the amp/adapters?

Right, so you, with most others, have the newer version of the amp. In case words were not enough here is a picture. I find that pictures often satisfy when what I say does not.

Instead of reaching for the skies even more remove the plate ,go to a machine shop they will widen those holes no problem would be much nicer then extenders .Just make shure and tell them what its for and you dont want no scrathes

Jan 10, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #1,848 of 4,839

Instead of reaching for the skies even more remove the plate ,go to a machine shop they will widen those holes no problem would be much nicer then extenders .Just make shure and tell them what its for and you dont want no scrathes

I will probably end up doing this, but I am in school for mechanical engineering, and at some point I imagine I will be able to do this myself in the shop. For now, I'll just use the extenders, though I'll end up with an extender, then 2 adapters, in between the tubes and the amp... Not cool. Extender, to 6SN7 adapter, to 6F8G adapter. Will look messy, should be fine though.

edit: And yes, the tube is a standard 6DE7.

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #1,849 of 4,839
  I will probably end up doing this, but I am in school for mechanical engineering, and at some point I imagine I will be able to do this myself in the shop. For now, I'll just use the extenders, though I'll end up with an extender, then 2 adapters, in between the tubes and the amp... Not cool. Extender, to 6SN7 adapter, to 6F8G adapter. Will look messy, should be fine though.

I have a good suggestion for you…I would think that the chassis on your WA6 is the same as the newer WA6 so why don't you contact Jack at Woo and ask him if it is, and if it is, ask him to send you a newer style top plate with the larger diameter holes so you don't need all of the adapters and they'll fit right into the sockets…how much could he possibly charge you for the top plate? Just a suggestion. 
smile.gif

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #1,850 of 4,839
  I have a good suggestion for you…I would think that the chassis on your WA6 is the same as the newer WA6 so why don't you contact Jack at Woo and ask him if it is, and if it is, ask him to send you a newer style top plate with the larger diameter holes so you don't need all of the adapters and they'll fit right into the sockets…how much could he possibly charge you for the top plate? Just a suggestion. 
smile.gif

He wouldn't sell me just the plate when I asked about a year ago. 
frown.gif

Jan 11, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #1,853 of 4,839

He wouldn't sell me just the plate when I asked about a year ago. 
frown.gif

I'm  Surprised!

If it is a simple retro fit then that is not good service from Woo :frowning2: I hope there was more to it that just the ability to just swap plates which stopped the plate supply.

+1

Is it WA6 pair well with HD650/T1 and Dt990 600 ohms ? I am confused between WA6 or Lyr2

The WA6 has selectable switch for 600-Ohm so it can drive high impedance HP's…but the Lyr is much more powerful.

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #1,854 of 4,839
About swapping the plates, I have to think that the chassis is a pretty major part of Woo's cost to build the WA6, as it is rather substantial. If they are ordering on a 1:1 basis all of the different machined parts, I can see why they would not be able to do a plate swap. And as easy as it would be for them to simply order 100 extra plates, and do a swap + $50 or so, the WA6 seems to sell so well that maybe they think they come out with more money by incentivizing people to just buy the new, updated version. Or maybe not enough people have emailed them about it, and they simply don't see a demand. Who knows. I will work around it, one way or another.

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #1,855 of 4,839
Jan 12, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #1,856 of 4,839
So I just finished the several month waiting period for a few new things I thought I would share. I managed to get a set of 6SN7 adapters from Glenn for the WA6SE. I then managed to procure some Ken Rad 6SN7 VT231 NOS tubes from 1945 along with a Norne Audio Solv X cable for my LCD's. The latter two showed up on my doorstep today. Let's just say that with the LCD 2's and some SACD DSF source material I think I might be taking off from work tomorrow! The luscious mid range is addicting. 
basshead.gif

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #1,860 of 4,839
I thought some of you might get a kick out of this... Not so aesthetic, but it does sound great. The RCA grey glass are just amazing with the PS500, it is such a little difference that I only think I am hearing, but they do roll off the treble a bit, or maybe it's just a bit less detail overall. Things just seem to be a little more accurate. Male voices have a bit more body, more power, as does brass. The low/mid range is more present, and "lush," which is usually used to describe these, is completely accurate.

Going to try out some National Union VT-99s as well. They are supposed to be quite good, near the TS rp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back