Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Jan 9, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #1,831 of 4,839

Quick question... So I just got the 6SN7 adapters for the WA6, and the chassis is too small for them to fit in... So obviously I have an earlier version of the WA6, is there anything to be done? I can't find any sort of 6DE7 socket saver. I do wonder how difficult it would be to make my own. I see there are plenty of sockets themselves, so it would be a matter of rigging a stable pin base... Sounds like a lot of work, but the cheapest way around this?

edit: Is the physical layout of most of these 9 pin tubes the same?

Not sure how old yours is, but the top plate were the tubes plug into the socket on my WA6 is held in by 4 Allen Head METRIC screw's (separate from the chassis) and is removable.
If yours is the same, remove the top plate, put the screw back in (so you don't see the 4 holes) and your adapters shoo have enough room to fit, unless your adapter are hitting the plate first? Cheapest/easiest way to do it.

Thanks, I might do that for now. I did order a pair of 9 pin socket savers as well, they were like 7 bucks. I think I'll be able to cut it down and mess with it enough so that they will work.

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #1,832 of 4,839
  Thanks, I might do that for now. I did order a pair of 9 pin socket savers as well, they were like 7 bucks. I think I'll be able to cut it down and mess with it enough so that they will work.

For $7.00 you might run into more issue than you think.
Can you post a photo of the face were the tube sockets are if its not a problem?
I'm asking because I removed my top plate to replace it with wood, and also bezels, which are much higher than the original top plate, and my adapters fit fine.

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #1,833 of 4,839
The socket savers are easily taken apart. I still cannot tell, even from looking at the tube spec sheets, if the arrangement of pins is exactly the same, but I'm thinking it is, right? Tube testers all have 1 socket for a 9 pin arrangement, so they all must fit in? I'm not sure if you're asking for the amp i tself or the socket saver, so here are both.

For the socket saver, the site says you can take them apart, so if I can easily take the sides off, I should be able to cut down on the base till it's no wider than the amp's opening, then it's just a matter of finding a cylinder of the right size, getting some glue for high-heat applications, and there you go.

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/9-pin-socket-saver

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #1,836 of 4,839

OK, so you got your answer about the socket savers. 
smile.gif

I just wanted to see the photo to see if your WA6 had the same top cover as mine being you said your was an older model…it does have the same top plate, so it can be removed and you should have no issues with the adapters. I do understand you are getting the socket savers to resolve your issue and will be able to leave the top plate on.
Thanks!

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #1,837 of 4,839
OK, so you got your answer about the socket savers. :smile:
I just wanted to see the photo to see if your WA6 had the same top cover as mine being you said your was an older model…it does have the same top plate, so it can be removed and you should have no issues with the adapters. I do understand you are getting the socket savers to resolve your issue and will be able to leave the top plate on.
Thanks!

Interesting. Since I'm looking to get adaptors also, I quick checked the top plate holes, and they're over 1 1/4" dia, maybe 1 5/16". They're plenty big for the fatboy tubes, so I just assumed the adaptors would fit. If someone could confirm that, terrific. Speaking just for me, I wouldn't be a fan of socket savers AND adaptors.

Thanks!

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #1,838 of 4,839
For the plate that's too small, I have about 2mm worth of clearance around the 6DE7 tubes. You need another bit to clear the adapters, so if you have 1 1/4" openings, then that is the bigger size that should be fine with the adapters. And I just went and measured the Woo adapters to be sure, they look to be around 32.5mm. or just over 1 1/4". So you should be fine.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #1,839 of 4,839
For the plate that's too small, I have about 2mm worth of clearance around the 6DE7 tubes. You need another bit to clear the adapters, so if you have 1 1/4" openings, then that is the bigger size that should be fine with the adapters. And I just went and measured the Woo adapters to be sure, they look to be around 32.5mm. or just over 1 1/4". So you should be fine.

Thanks! Actually, that's pretty darn close.

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #1,840 of 4,839
Interesting. Since I'm looking to get adaptors also, I quick checked the top plate holes, and they're over 1 1/4" dia, maybe 1 5/16". They're plenty big for the fatboy tubes, so I just assumed the adaptors would fit. If someone could confirm that, terrific. Speaking just for me, I wouldn't be a fan of socket savers AND adaptors.

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm a bit confused myself why the Woo 6SN7>6DE7 adapters won't fit with the WA6 @Porteroso has???
Before I removed my top plate to replace it with wood, I used the adapters with no issue at all.
Now with the wood which is about 1/4" + the height of the bezels which is another 3/16" it causes the adapters to sit much higher above the sockets and the adapter pins still reach the sockets??? You can see here what I'm talking about: display_order

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #1,841 of 4,839
Yeah, I'm a bit confused myself why the Woo 6SN7>6DE7 adapters won't fit with the WA6 @Porteroso has???
Before I removed my top plate to replace it with wood, I used the adapters with no issue at all.
Now with the wood which is about 1/4" + the height of the bezels which is another 3/16" it causes the adapters to sit much higher above the sockets and the adapter pins still reach the sockets??? You can see here what I'm talking about: display_order

So the pins on yours don't go all the way down into the sockets? Looks great, by the way.

Here's a pic from the Woo site; this is the 6em7 adaptor, which looks to have adequate room.

Jan 10, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #1,842 of 4,839
So the pins on yours don't go all the way down into the sockets? Looks great, by the way.

Here's a pic from the Woo site; this is the 6em7 adaptor, which looks to have adequate room.

Thank you,
The black rings in the middle of (2-peice) adapters which cover the seams of the adapters do not allow the adapters to pass below the bezel's, but still make more than enough contact with the sockets, so no, the adapters are not fully seated against the sockets , but are seated more than enough that I've never had any issues.

The Woo photo sure looks like it has enough room for the adapters to be fully seated against the sockets…which is how my was before putting the wood/bezel's on…the adapters were fully seated, which is why I don't understand Poteroso's issue with the amp/adapters?

Jan 10, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #1,843 of 4,839

Thank you,
The black rings in the middle of (2-peice) adapters which cover the seams of the adapters do not allow the adapters to pass below the bezel's, but still make more than enough contact with the sockets, so no, the adapters are not fully seated against the sockets , but are seated more than enough that I've never had any issues.

The Woo photo sure looks like it has enough room for the adapters to be fully seated against the sockets…which is how my was before putting the wood/bezel's on…the adapters were fully seated, which is why I don't understand Poteroso's issue with the amp/adapters?

Right, so you, with most others, have the newer version of the amp. In case words were not enough here is a picture. I find that pictures often satisfy when what I say does not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back