Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Dec 25, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #1,802 of 4,839
Glenn no longer makes them, he is much too busy making amplifiers.
Buy the 6SN7>6DE7 adapters from Woo, they are very well made. I paid $40.00 (each) so the price seems to have gone up $5.00 (each) but is definitely worth it.

I use the Woo adapters on my WA6 for the 6SN7's and they're great.

Guess I'll try some 6sn7s. With various rectifiers, I've found various 6fd7s to be good for HeadFi meets because they're powerful and punchy in the higher ambient noise environment, but when I return home, I settle back in with some nice Sylvania 6de7s for a more graceful, relaxed, yet still detailed presentation (in my modified Woo in my system). That's the sound I want (or even more so, if possible).

Looking at the Woo site, I see the 6sn7 adaptors and tubes for $160, but don't see the adaptors separately. How do I find that, by contacting them directly?

Thanks!

Dec 25, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #1,803 of 4,839
Guess I'll try some 6sn7s. With various rectifiers, I've found various 6fd7s to be good for HeadFi meets because they're powerful and punchy in the higher ambient noise environment, but when I return home, I settle back in with some nice Sylvania 6de7s for a more graceful, relaxed, yet still detailed presentation (in my modified Woo in my system). That's the sound I want (or even more so, if possible).

Looking at the Woo site, I see the 6sn7 adaptors and tubes for $160, but don't see the adaptors separately. How do I find that, by contacting them directly?

Thanks!

Send an e-mail to Jack asking for 6SN7>6DE7 adapters and he will reply back to you. You are correct the adapters are not listed separately here is the link below.

orders@wooaudio.com

Your better off buying tubes from somewhere else IMO.

Dec 25, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #1,804 of 4,839
 Send an e-mail to Jack asking for 6SN7>6DE7 adapters and he will reply back to you. You are correct the adapters are not listed separately here is the link below.

orders@wooaudio.com

Your better off buying tubes from somewhere else IMO.

Thanks.

Is your experience with 6sn7 that they might contribute to the sonic personality I described? (Retaining the gobs of detail my system has, yet with a graceful, relaxed delivery)? Compared to other output tubes you've used in the WA6.

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #1,805 of 4,839
Thanks.

Is your experience with 6sn7 that they might contribute to the sonic personality I described? (Retaining the gobs of detail my system has, yet with a graceful, relaxed delivery)? Compared to other output tubes you've used in the WA6.

Yes, especially some NOS Sylvania 6SN7 WGTA's. They give a beautiful warm/detailed sound that makes them my favorite (after sufficient burn-in) and are also dead quiet... and I've tried every (driver/power tube) that the WA6 will accept.

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #1,806 of 4,839
Ok, so after several days of reading this, the 6sn7 lovers thread, and a few other places online, it sounds like I will want the RCA VT-231 grey glass, the TS round plate, and the NU VT-231. The other thing is the Psvane DV-181 T2, but at 170 per matched, pair, I might wait on those. Right now I've just got stock driver tubes, have had those for a long while now, ready to see what the amp can do. I'm using this for PS500s, and if I had one complaint, it would be about the pronounced treble of these cans... As a violinist, I need to retain all the treble I can, for as long as I can. I think that the RCA grey glass might be the best of all worlds? Supposedly has detailed, great bass, with lush mids, slightly recessed treble? That with the Brimar, sounds like theoretically, on paper, should be about as good as I can do without spending mad moneys.

Does all that sound pretty accurate? I'm new at tube rolling, but I think I can only do so much researching before I just need to start hearing tubes for myself. Other driver tube I'd like to try is the Melz 1958, but it is difficult to find those, so I think for now I'll "forget" about them.

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #1,807 of 4,839
  Ok, so after several days of reading this, the 6sn7 lovers thread, and a few other places online, it sounds like I will want the RCA VT-231 grey glass, the TS round plate, and the NU VT-231. The other thing is the Psvane DV-181 T2, but at 170 per matched, pair, I might wait on those. Right now I've just got stock driver tubes, have had those for a long while now, ready to see what the amp can do. I'm using this for PS500s, and if I had one complaint, it would be about the pronounced treble of these cans... As a violinist, I need to retain all the treble I can, for as long as I can. I think that the RCA grey glass might be the best of all worlds? Supposedly has detailed, great bass, with lush mids, slightly recessed treble? That with the Brimar, sounds like theoretically, on paper, should be about as good as I can do without spending mad moneys.

Does all that sound pretty accurate? I'm new at tube rolling, but I think I can only do so much researching before I just need to start hearing tubes for myself. Other driver tube I'd like to try is the Melz 1958, but it is difficult to find those, so I think for now I'll "forget" about them.

Some great tubes in there - most of which I have not had the chance to hear (yet).

If you find a matched pair of NOS TS RPs for less than $300 USD please let me know. The RCA VT-231 are also pricey (I think).

The Psvane CV-181 T2s might just be the cheapest of the bunch you have listed. A quick search on Google might help confirm the current  market price for these tubes.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #1,808 of 4,839
Some great tubes in there - most of which I have not had the chance to hear (yet).  
If you find a matched pair of NOS TS RPs for less than $300 USD please let me know. The RCA VT-231 are also pricey (I think).

The Psvane CV-181 T2s might just be the cheapest of the bunch you have listed. A quick search on Google might help confirm the current  market price for these tubes.

I certainly will let you know. I just glanced around, and I was seeing the TS rp go for around 400 per matched pair. On fleabay, you can find the RCA vt-231 matched pairs for around 125, which is what I will start with I think. Other online places are mostly out of stock, and selling them for 90-125 per tube. Hopefully it will sound like what I have in my head, and I can stop there. Until I buy the WA5, then the WA234 eventually. Yesterday, there was an online dealer selling the HE-400i for 369 new, and boy do I wish I could justify that. Made me start thinking, I think the HD650 and the HE-400i will be in order after I sufficiently tube up the WA6.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #1,809 of 4,839
  ..., I think the HD650 and the HE-400i will be in order after I sufficiently tube up the WA6.

I am currently running the WA6 and HD600 as my PC rig - works very well.

Tubes don't need to break the bank either. Brimar 5Z4GY rectifier (30 pounds on Ebarf - much less direct from the UK supplier), and Sylvania 6SN7GTAs.

Not the best tubes possible on the market, but very good quality for the money. Sounds great.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #1,810 of 4,839

..., I think the HD650 and the HE-400i will be in order after I sufficiently tube up the WA6.

I am currently running the WA6 and HD600 as my PC rig - works very well.

Tubes don't need to break the bank either. Brimar 5Z4GY rectifier (30 pounds on Ebarf - much less direct from the UK supplier), and Sylvania 6SN7GTAs.

Not the best tubes possible on the market, but very good quality for the money. Sounds great.

Yeah I'm in for 2 of the Brimars, I'll get another 4 or so if it really does sound that good. It's just the driver tubes that are question marks right now, but I have more than a week to sort it out before I get home. I'm very hopeful for the Brimar.

edit: By the way, choosing between the 650 and 600 has proven to be pretty difficult without hearing either. I settled on the 650, but the 600 might have an even bigger following, it seems. The comments about tonality are what made me think I'll love the 650. And the 400i would fill the slot of a fairly neutral can.

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #1,811 of 4,839
Not to take over this thread, but has anyone gotten a 6f8g to 6sn7 adapter and tried stacking 2 adapters? The 6f8g seems to be much cheaper.

Edit: after reading around, 6f8g is the way to go for sure. Some people claim they even sound better than the 6sn7 equivalent, though maybe that is wishful thinking. And for the high end tubes, they can be half the price.

edit2: I'll just keep editing in this. First off, it looks like you can get a good set of 6f8g -> 6sn7 adapters for about 25-30 shipped. The better gold plated/ceramic are more like 50+ shipped, but we have to include that in the initial price of acquisition.

For NOS 6SN7, per pair:

RCA smoke glass matched VT-231
$135

National Union rp matched VT-231
cannot find any

TS rp VT-231
$425

For NOS 6F8G, per pair:

RCA smoke glass matched VT-99
$115

National Union rp matched VT-99
$130

TS rp VT-99
hard to say for matched pairs, but I see singles for $100

So espectially if you're looking for the TS rp, it's worth it to be running 6F8G. I'll be trying out the RCA's first, though at this price, I might just snap up some NU as well, since you cannot find them in 6SN7 at all. I found a post in a WA5 thread where Skylab was saying he's been running 6F8G instead of 6SN7 for years, he provided a chart to show that electrically, they are the same. So stacking a pair of adapters shouldn't be an issue. It also looks like it would be pretty simple to just make your own single adapter, but I won't mess with it.

This is all probably old news to you all, but exciting to me! Glad I haven't bought any 6SN7 yet.

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #1,812 of 4,839
Picked up the adapters, some NU 6F8G, and some RCA VT-99. I've been using the stock 6DE7? Not really sure of the number/letters, but whatever it is. It's always sounded pretty good in my opinion, but then, I've never heard anything better. Expecting ridiculous results out of these new tubes, shall report back in 2 weeks or so. I'll do some a/b/c comparisons with the old rectifier, then with the Brimar later.

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #1,813 of 4,839
I've been very disappointed with the premium tubes Woo sells with their amps.  Of course, they make a very nice product however I received noisy 6SN7's (at a ridiculous $330/pr.)  which were promptly replaced with a supposed NOS matched pair.  These tubes were just as noisy and immediately tested on a Amplitrex and were found to be nowhere near matched, very disappointing.  Jack is most likely using this "service" to make up some profit but he needs to significantly improve. IMHO, buy your premium tubes elsewhere.   

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #1,815 of 4,839

.... IMHO, buy your premium tubes elsewhere.   

+1.

The tubes (mostly) suck - much better deals to be had elsewhere.
The tube adapters are fine - use them on my WA6 all the time.

I think it's mostly the same everywhere. Often you have to charge more for peripherals to make money, since the market for the primary product is tight and competitive. Woo does make a great product at a very competitive price, for the most part. In terms of sound quality, construction quality, and aesthetically. I wouldn't mind paying more for tubes from Woo, since it helps them out, but they do need to get their act together on that front. They've got to be making money on the adapters too, so if they would just put the popular adapters up on their website, that would turn into a pretty good source of revenue. The company just started small, and turned into a huge success, and as with many small companies who expand, they are mismanaged, because the people running them are interested in a good product, not managing a big company. Just a few things could vastly improve their brand, visibility, and even help their reputation a bit. I halfway wish I had gone into that sort of field.

Anyways, to add actual content, I will have the adapters to 6SN7 soon, as well as adapters on top to 6F8G, and I've got some NU and RCA grey bottle VT-99s coming in. Electrically the equivalent of 6SN7, and much cheaper, especially once you're over the cost of the adapters. Should be a huge success! /insert borat thumbs up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back