Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Jan 1, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #1,816 of 4,839
Anyone bought a WA6se recently? Just wondering what the current lead time is. I put my order in about 3 days ago and I'm pretty dang excited to get it.

I picked up an Astell and Kern 120II along with a pair of Audeze LCD-x headphones before Christmas and they sound phenominal together. I thought I was set until I started reading these forums and heard about the Woo amps. The WA6se seems to be a good match for the Audeze.

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #1,820 of 4,839
I've never tried 6SN7's in my WA6. Are they that much better than 6DE7's, 6EW7's, and 6FD7's I have in stock?

Driver/Output: (8) NOS RCA 6DE7 w/shield (4) NOS Westinghouse 6DE7 w/shield (2) NOS GE 6DE7, (2) NOS Sylvania 6DE7 (4) NOS Sylvania 6EW7 Fat Bottle Clear Tops (2) NOS GE 6EW7 Fat Bottle Clear Tops (4) Sylvania 6FD7 Fat Bottle Clear Tops

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #1,821 of 4,839
  I've never tried 6SN7's in my WA6. Are they that much better than 6DE7's, 6EW7's, and 6DE7's I have in stock?

I have used a bunch of different tube types in my WA6 (including 7N7s and 6EM7s in addition to the above) - I prefer the 6SN7s.

I think this has more to do with the tube quality than the type of tube - I really struggled to find good tubes in anything other than 6SN7.

Another point worth considering - there seems to be a lot more variety for 6SN7s in the marketplace (NOS and new production). If you go down the WA6SE path those options aren't available.

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #1,822 of 4,839
I did; shipped the next day.  Incredibly well boxed, I might add.  Very, very happy!

Quote:
  Anyone bought a WA6se recently? Just wondering what the current lead time is. I put my order in about 3 days ago and I'm pretty dang excited to get it.

I picked up an Astell and Kern 120II along with a pair of Audeze LCD-x headphones before Christmas and they sound phenominal together. I thought I was set until I started reading these forums and heard about the Woo amps. The WA6se seems to be a good match for the Audeze.

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #1,824 of 4,839
Did that for a number of days myself.  Bought the rectifier tube upgrade and the and the power tube option #1 as well.  Have already ordered new rectifier tubes just for fun.  About to settle down to a nice afternoon of listening pleasure.  Time for an 'eargasm' as they say... 

Quote:
  Got my shipment notice and should be here early next week. In the meantime, I just stare at the pics.

Jan 5, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #1,827 of 4,839
Why 6SN7s dont fit the WA6-SE ?

6SN7s simply can't handle the power the 6SE puts out. It's a trade-off. If you ever think you'll need that power, the WA6-SE is a must over the WA6. The only way to get the power AND the 6SN7s is to spend more up the Woo line.

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #1,829 of 4,839
Quick question... So I just got the 6SN7 adapters for the WA6, and the chassis is too small for them to fit in... So obviously I have an earlier version of the WA6, is there anything to be done? I can't find any sort of 6DE7 socket saver. I do wonder how difficult it would be to make my own. I see there are plenty of sockets themselves, so it would be a matter of rigging a stable pin base... Sounds like a lot of work, but the cheapest way around this?

edit: Is the physical layout of most of these 9 pin tubes the same?

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #1,830 of 4,839
  Quick question... So I just got the 6SN7 adapters for the WA6, and the chassis is too small for them to fit in... So obviously I have an earlier version of the WA6, is there anything to be done? I can't find any sort of 6DE7 socket saver. I do wonder how difficult it would be to make my own. I see there are plenty of sockets themselves, so it would be a matter of rigging a stable pin base... Sounds like a lot of work, but the cheapest way around this?

edit: Is the physical layout of most of these 9 pin tubes the same?

Not sure how old yours is, but the top plate were the tubes plug into the socket on my WA6 is held in by 4 Allen Head METRIC screw's (separate from the chassis) and is removable.
If yours is the same, remove the top plate, put the screw back in (so you don't see the 4 holes) and your adapters shoo have enough room to fit, unless your adapter are hitting the plate first? Cheapest/easiest way to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back