Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Oct 31, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #1,637 of 4,839
  how does the tubes offered for sale on woo's wa6-se page rank in gain?

Interesting question.  I don't know the answer.  For myself, I would prefer lower gain tubes since that would allow me more range on the volume control with my efficient cans.

You seemed so happy with the amp.  Now it's for sale.

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #1,638 of 4,839

how does the tubes offered for sale on woo's wa6-se page rank in gain?

Interesting question.  I don't know the answer.  For myself, I would prefer lower gain tubes since that would allow me more range on the volume control with my efficient cans.

in fact i have the all except the 6gl7 and they rank like: 6ew7<6dr7<6fd7 now i'm wondering where will the 6gl7 fall gain wise?

gain wise the 6ew7 are best suited for my sony mdr-1r and akg 712/701, the 6dr7 are ok with the akgs but too much gain for the mdr-1r and the 6fd7 are too much even for the akgs, which are actually harder to drive than the classic lcds

You seemed so happy with the amp.  Now it's for sale.

yeah the amp opened a whole new view on sonic expression, it's really great, tubes are so much more hot yet sweet (musical?) compared to solid state gear, it's up for sale but only for upgrading purpose and to get a feeling of the demand, but i'm all too familiar with diminishing returns, i'm waiting to try some more hps and higher end dacs with it before any definitive change

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #1,639 of 4,839
  in fact i have the all except the 6gl7 and they rank like: 6ew7<6dr7<6fd7 now i'm wondering where will the 6gl7 fall gain wise?

gain wise the 6ew7 are best suited for my sony mdr-1r and akg 712/701, the 6dr7 are ok with the akgs but too much gain for the mdr-1r and the 6fd7 are too much even for the akgs, which are actually harder to drive than the classic lcds

The 6fd7 is my favorite of the bunch and I can still crank it from noon to 2 o'clock when rocking with the WA6.

Oct 31, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #1,640 of 4,839
err... this doesn't tell me much... i'll rather you rank your tubes by gain so i can have a reference in that regard, which was my goal in the first place, also cos the special edition is 4 x more powerful

Oct 31, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #1,641 of 4,839
  err... this doesn't tell me much... i'll rather you rank your tubes by gain so i can have a reference in that regard, which was my goal in the first place, also cos the special edition is 4 x more powerful

Sorry.  As I wrote in my initial reply, I don't know the answer.  I probably shouldn't have replied in the first place since I don't own the SE.

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #1,643 of 4,839
i'm back from a session with the alpha dogs and the Audio-gd Reference 5.32 dac, the amp really let the dac shine and the alphas were killer sounding (the denon d2000 also) (stock westinghouse 6ew7, rectifier gz34 tv2 57b metal base and the stock rectifier shuguang 274b was great too), the amp is clearly worth of a great dac and higher end phones (wa6-se maxed internals) [also there was a lot of ground loop noise from an old laptop psu, after it was taken off the background turned black]

also my dac the maverick d2 did not have enough high rca level (1-1.5V) out to pair it with the low gain 6ew7power driver tubes and the ad, vs the agd at 2.5V rca out, still good for such as akg 701/712, or higher gain tubes

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #1,644 of 4,839
Been a couple years since I was active on head-fi, life got in the way, but I never stopped listening. Just landed a new WA6SE with the Sophia/6GL7 combo. Been using it for about a week so not fully burned in but Loving it so far. Anyway I figured I would say hi to all owners and post some head-fi eye candy.

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #1,645 of 4,839
  Been a couple years since I was active on head-fi, life got in the way, but I never stopped listening. Just landed a new WA6SE with the Sophia/6GL7 combo. Been using it for about a week so not fully burned in but Loving it so far. Anyway I figured I would say hi to all owners and post some head-fi eye candy.

Nice pics!

Is that a DAC on the left of the picture? Which DAC are you using to feed your WA6-SE?

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #1,647 of 4,839
I finally got a wa6se , I've wanted to hear it for a while now

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #1,648 of 4,839

Congrats on getting the WA6-SE. Is it your first Woo?

Nov 1, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #1,649 of 4,839
Congrats on getting the WA6-SE. Is it your first Woo?

Yeah this is my first woo and my first tube headamp. Always been a crisp solid state guy but really wanted to start rolling some tubes and having fun. Figured this was a good entry.

Nov 4, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #1,650 of 4,839
Welcome to the Woo Audio club brother. Be prepared to spend if you are in too tube rolling!
atsmile.gif
. As a start, do read up Dubstep girl's reviews on the various rectifiers. My current favourite combo is the 6FD7 with Mullard CV593 Tubes. Price wise reasonable. Sound wise very much better then the stock tube combinations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back