Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Sep 21, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #1,606 of 4,839
i read currents induced in the coil, or traces in planars, while oscillating in the magnetic field, can loosen the bass when the DF is low, don't know how this interacts with impedance shifts in dynamic hp

i'm still curious to hear about the lcd3 fazor and wa6-se match, if there's anyone who can share impressions

I like that combination quite a bit though it took a while to find the right tube combination. With the 596 and 6fd7s, the fazored 3s sound terrific. If there is something specific you want to know, ask away....

Sep 21, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #1,608 of 4,839
  @shultzee in comparison with what other amps? i had it with the burson conductor and it was super as well, tho there was some bg noise on high gain, wonder what's the signature of the lcd-x on the wa6-se since it exhibits a pretty high output impedance (15 Ohm for the low gain output) in regard to the 22 Ohm resistance of the lcd-x

my point is the new lcd3 and lcd2 drivers have higher resistance

since the old lcd2 were regarded as a good match with the wa6-se, the new fazor should be even better

the lcd3 seems didn't really get a recommendation with the wa6-se, so i wonder if the new lcd3 fazor changed something in that regard?

In comparison with both a ALO Pan Am and WA7.   Both were pretty good btw.  However the lcd-x really shines with the WA6SE.   Also no bg noise at all.

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #1,609 of 4,839
I like that combination quite a bit though it took a while to find the right tube combination. With the 596 and 6fd7s, the fazored 3s sound terrific. If there is something specific you want to know, ask away....

Same tube combo I have and love it.

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #1,610 of 4,839
  @shultzee in comparison with what other amps? i had it with the burson conductor and it was super as well, tho there was some bg noise on high gain, wonder what's the signature of the lcd-x on the wa6-se since it exhibits a pretty high output impedance (15 Ohm for the low gain output) in regard to the 22 Ohm resistance of the lcd-x

my point is the new lcd3 and lcd2 drivers have higher resistance

since the old lcd2 were regarded as a good match with the wa6-se, the new fazor should be even better

the lcd3 seems didn't really get a recommendation with the wa6-se, so i wonder if the new lcd3 fazor
changed something in that regard?

In comparison with both a ALO Pan Am and WA7.   Both were pretty good btw.  However the lcd-x really shines with the WA6SE.   Also no bg noise at all.

the LCD-3 didn't sound good to me on the WA6-SE, like something wasn't right, it wasn't bad, just seemed odd. i don't think the fazor changes that enough, but i haven't heard the combination. the LCD-2 and LCD-3 sound so different, the LCD-X being more like the 2, seems to explain why the X works well with the WA6-SE where the 3 doesn't as much.

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #1,611 of 4,839

the LCD-3 didn't sound good to me on the WA6-SE, like something wasn't right, it wasn't bad, just seemed odd. i don't think the fazor changes that enough, but i haven't heard the combination. the LCD-2 and LCD-3 sound so different, the LCD-X being more like the 2, seems to explain why the X works well with the WA6-SE where the 3 doesn't as much.

I'm not sure the LCD-X matches as well with tube amps as it does with a solid state. Mine sound much better out of my Taurus than either my WA5 or WA6.

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #1,612 of 4,839

I'm not sure the LCD-X matches as well with tube amps as it does with a solid state. Mine sound much better out of my Taurus than either my WA5 or WA6.

likewise, i'll take GSX over WA5 for LCD-x

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #1,613 of 4,839
Quote:

likewise, i'll take GSX over WA5 for LCD-x

Quote:

i read currents induced in the coil, or traces in planars, while oscillating in the magnetic field, can loosen the bass when the DF is low, don't know how this interacts with impedance shifts in dynamic hp

i'm still curious to hear about the lcd3 fazor and wa6-se match, if there's anyone who can share impressions

Quote:
  @bfreedma when do you find yourself plugging the lcd3f in the wa6-se rather than the other amps you have? any specific genre? reason?

still curious about what bfreedma's response will be, tho i guess the bg shelf should be taken into account when interpreting his impressions 
beerchug.gif
we don't need no damping factor!

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #1,614 of 4,839

Quote: Quote:

Quote:
still curious about what bfreedma's response will be, tho i guess the bg shelf should be taken into account when interpreting his impressions 
beerchug.gif
we don't need no damping factor!

LOL - More of a collector than a drinker, so I don't think what's in the background is impacting my opinion (too much).  The GSX is getting the most use right now, but hey, it's still new and I waited a year for it which is definitely influencing the usage patterns.  Before it arrived, I was using the WA6-SE more than the Bryston as with the tubes I mentioned previously, it has a bit more bass.  The Woo also seemed to have more power with that tube set than the BHA-1, though I never ran out of volume with either - the 6SE did seem a bit less stressed at it's max when I listened at the highest volumes I use. 

I wish I could give you a more concise answer around genres but amp choice on any given day was more driven by what I felt to listen to rather than any particular music choice.  The GSX is probably going to continue to get the most head time but to be fair, it is significantly more expensive (not that cost always dictates quality) and to date, I think it's just a bit better with the LCD3s than my other amps.  No dogs in the bunch though I'll be selling the Bryston as I just don't need two SS amps.

Sep 22, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #1,616 of 4,839
  @bfreedma which is the more hot sounding? which is airier, thinner? which is more intimate, mellow heavy?

That's a tough comparison to make as the 6-SE's character is influenced by the tube combinations. IMO, it's pretty warm and mellow with a 6EW7/SP274B setup and slightly hot sounding with a combination of 6FD7/596 tubes.  The GSX has a bigger soundstage, so I suppose that makes the 6-SE more intimate.  The GSX is, as frequently described, a very neutral amp.

If you can tell me a little more about what type of music you listen to and what you are looking for out of the amp (hot/mellow/neutral...), I'll try to be more specific in what IMO would be the best fit. 

Sep 22, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #1,617 of 4,839
Latest iteration of my WA6:  SP 274B Mesh + 1970s Sylvania NOS 6SN7 WGTA - so far so good and I'm not really interested in ay more tube rolling other than maybe a older, more vintage Sylv 6SN7.

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #1,618 of 4,839
MickeyVee
Glad your enjoying the Sylvania 6SN7WGTA's!
I personally think these are the best sounding tubes with the WA6, and can understand why your not too interested in anymore tube rolling…these are great!
 minutes ago

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/8/8d/100x100px-LS-8dfb31f8_Neo-AvatarIIsm.jpeg[/img]
  1. MickeyVee
  2. /custom/huddle/headfi/img/badges/badge_1000.v3499439622.png
  4. online
  1. 1,367 Posts. Joined 3/2011
  2. Location: GTA-Canada

Latest iteration of my WA6:  SP 274B Mesh + 1970s Sylvania NOS 6SN7 WGTA - so far so good and I'm not really interested in ay more tube rolling other than maybe a older, more vintage Sylv 6SN7.

Sep 23, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #1,619 of 4,839

Here is my 6SE when it was first hooked up, sitting on Daruma cups. DAC is a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista, fed by a highly modified Squeezebox (note its massive power supply at the bottom, featuring Jensen and Black Gate caps). Cables are Acoustic Zen and headphones are LCD-3s using Cardas Clear cables. AC cables are Foundation Research LC1 and LC2 and Cards Golden Reference. Those little things in the top photo are some leftover Cardas RCA caps.

The Sophia Princess rectifier tube was installed and immediately the difference was dramatic. Amp went from very good sounding to exemplary. I had spent last week listening to the Wa22 and Burson Conductor amps and when I got home, I was somewhat disappointed that the 6SE hadn't lived up to the performance of those other two excellent amps.

But inserting the Sophia was eye opening. Music got its groove and dynamics back, and now the 6se was performing up to the other two amps. This tube really shouldn't be an option, but instead mandatory. Gain went up too, and I had to lower the volume slightly.

Now I see what this amp is capable of delivering.

Sep 23, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #1,620 of 4,839
[spoiler[
[/spoiler]
Nice looking setup MV. I like your black WA6. Can you drive those HD800's with the WA6? I'm going to try your S/P and vintage NOS 6SN7 tube combo tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back