Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Mar 20, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #1,276 of 4,839
Less bass gz32/cv593 with 6ew7 or 6sn7s depending on tube type.

Sophia is pretty bass and 6gl7 is overly bassy and bloaty with pretty much every tube except the 596

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #1,277 of 4,839
I was using the GZ32/6EW7 for about a week up until last night, and rely enjoyed the percussion instruments and the highs/separation due too the less bass, this is one combo I like. Another combo I really like is the Sophia Princess/6SN7-6FD7 ( the 6FD7 big botle was what I read about in which you commented on sounding good with the RS1's, thanks DG). I also enjoy the the GZ34 with the 6SN7's, but have yet to try it with the 6FD7.
Any other driver tubes to recommend? Thanks.

Mar 21, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #1,280 of 4,839
Less than a week old, I have the Sophia Princess and a matched set of RCA 6DE7 coming in.  At worst, I have a backup set of tubes and at best, an improvement in SQ.  I'm already at the point where I plug my HD800 back into the Naim and go, nah, back to the WA6.  Not quite as detailed, airy and super clean, but close.. seems richer with overall greater body and that's what I'm liking.  Still breaking in and I'm noticing that the treble is getting more extended and bass is getting a little tighter.
If this is a taste of classic Woo, I'm really wondering what the WA22 is like. Someday, maybe.

Mar 22, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #1,281 of 4,839
  If this is a taste of classic Woo, I'm really wondering what the WA22 is like. Someday, maybe.

Last month I was where you are now
rolleyes.gif
& submitted to temptation.

Mar 22, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #1,283 of 4,839
Cr@p.  I got the WA6 with my tax return so the WA22 is out of the question for a while.  So, was it worth the upgrade??
Quote:
Last month I was where you are now
rolleyes.gif
& submitted to temptation.

One of the reasons I sold my Lyr beside going the upgrade path was that I was going tube nuts.  Never satisfied.  Hoping that I can be happy for a while with there SP and RCAs. We'll se how that goes. 
blink.gif

i really have to stop reading this thread, i have pairs of 6ew7, 6fd7, 6sn7, 6dr7 coming and a 5u4g philco as well as a gz32. 
Building up a bit of a collection.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #1,284 of 4,839
I was wondering if most people insert their tubes all the way down into the sockets?
This image from Woo's site show a large amount of the driver/power tube pins exposed! 
What are your thoughts about this? Thanks.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #1,285 of 4,839
  I was wondering if most people insert their tubes all the way down into the sockets?
This image from Woo's site show a large amount of the driver/power tube pins exposed! 
What are your thoughts about this? Thanks.

Maybe that picture is only for illustration purposes. The owner's manual states that we should insert the tubes all the way in. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back