Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Mar 13, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #1,261 of 4,838
  Am I the devil?

I think this was in response to my post
wink.gif
. Nice work on the WA6. Seems like you've decided that you're going keep it for a long time .

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #1,264 of 4,838
Yes, I'm totally satisfied with the WA6, and tube rolling also gives the amp different
sounds, which as you k.ow I've been exploring with latly, and really enjoyinv the different sounds. I just wanted to add some nice looking wood too dress it up a little.

Mar 15, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #1,265 of 4,838
  Sophia Elect. 274B
Western Electric 422A
Brimar (GEC) U52
USAF 596
Mullard 5V4G (GZ32)
Philips (Mullard) GZ34 metal base - Incoming

I was perfectly happy with my Princess in blissfull ignorance. I blame Dubstep Girl  
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I think this was in response to my post
wink.gif
. Nice work on the WA6. Seems like you've decided that you're going keep it for a long time .

tongue_smile.gif

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #1,266 of 4,838
Hi all, just joined the Woo gang on Saturday.  Got the WA6 with stock tubes and Sophia Princess on order.  Sad to have just read that they do/may darken.  Love th pics! In the mean time, enjoying the break in process. This is not  my first tube amp, had the Lyr, WA7 and just for kicks, still have the Vali.

Got a lot of catching up to do on this thread but has anyone tried the Sophia Electric driver tubes. Thought I noted that they had some but required adaptors.. i.e.. Sophia Electric 6SN7

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #1,268 of 4,838
  Hi all, just joined the Woo gang on Saturday.  Got the WA6 with stock tubes and Sophia Princess on order.  Sad to have just read that they do/may darken.  Love th pics! In the mean time, enjoying the break in process. This is not  my first tube amp, had the Lyr, WA7 and just for kicks, still have the Vali.

Got a lot of catching up to do on this thread but has anyone tried the Sophia Electric driver tubes. Thought I noted that they had some but required adaptors.. i.e.. Sophia Electric 6SN7

You have to e-mail Woo if you want to buy the adapters (without tubes), if you intend to purchase the tubes elsewhere. You can order the adapters/tubes from Woo's site, but not just the adapter only. The adapters are $40.00 (each) + shipping. If you are interested I purchased 1966 Syvania NOS 6SN7WGTA's from a guy on eBay, and I love them. Also if you are interested in trying the 6GL7/6EM7 tubes I will give them to you for free (I personally didn't care for them, but you may), but I no longer have the adapters (I returned them to Woo), but I bought the tubes from eBay and didn't return them being I only paid $40.00 for them, I put them back on on eBay for $20.00, but I will end the BIN if you want them…but keep in mind you would have to purchase the adapters at $40.00 (each) from Woo, because they are different from the 6SN7 adapters.
Here is the original sellers listing/description of the tubes I will give you, if you want them them.

PAIR 6EM7 6EA7 Tube RCA  DualTriode Black Plates Coin Base Wright Apollo
Test NOS - Lightly Used?
Not Original Boxes - Fully Guaranteed

BaseOctal (Int.Octal, IO) K8A, USA 1935
FilamentVf 6.3 Volts / If: 0.925 Ampere / -: Indirect / -: Parallel, (AC/DC) /

Code:

Code:

Code:

Code:

Code:

Code:
 [b]Joule Electra power supply Modwright power supply Wright Sound phono wpp-200c Kenji Mizushima Kenso Music Reference 6EM7 amp Welbourne Apollo mono amps[/b]
Code:

Price is per Pair.

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #1,269 of 4,838
Was just asking if anyone tried the Sophia 6SN7 
redface.gif
 I get the adaptor thing but am not yet at the point of trying driver tubes.  I'd rather try direct replacement first.  From everything I've read, the power tubes are pretty good but the first bang for the buck is the rectifier and I do have the Princess on order.   Gonna love it for the looks alone. Will try others over time.
Glad to be part of the Woo club.

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #1,270 of 4,838
redface.gif
 I get the adaptor thing but am not yet at the point of trying driver tubes.  I'd rather try direct replacement first.  From everything I've read, the power tubes are pretty good but the first bang for the buck is the rectifier and I do have the Princess on order.   Gonna love it for the looks alone. Will try others over time.

Take a look at the 6SN7 Tube Addicts thread. The opinions on the Sophia 6SN7 are pretty mixed over there. I do think punit has tried the tube on his own Woo though, so maybe you can try asking him. 

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #1,271 of 4,838
redface.gif

I'm with you.  Try the Sophia 274B, that should keep you occupied.  Stick with the direct replacements. like the 6FD7's.  So far, I've never felt a need to try the 6SN7 rout.

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #1,272 of 4,838
  I'm with you.  Try the Sophia 274B, that should keep you occupied.  Stick with the direct replacements. like the 6FD7's.  So far, I've never felt a need to try the 6SN7 rout.

I got the RCA NOS 6FD7 (big bottle's) from Woo about a week ago, and I've got about 20hrs on them, and they are a nice sounding tube. I had them paired with the 1958 Mullard 5AR4/GZ34 and maybe found the overall bass presence just a little too much for me, so the last two nights I've been listening to them with the 5V4G/GZ32, which IME has a little bit of a thinner sound, and the overall bass is slightly less, so I think I like hearing the detail with this combo…but I'll have to do much more listening with both rectifier tubes. I've yet to use the S/P (because IME this is the richest sounding out of the rectifier tubes I have) with the 6FD7's. But I can tell you that the S/P with the 6SN7's, I really love!!! So for now I'm just experimenting with different combos, and getting some experience for myself and my tastes. I tried the 6GL7/6EM7's twice…and hated them both times, they just weren't for me, the only reason I tried them twice was because I had gotten the 5V4G/GZ32 and thought they may match well with it, compared to the S/P which at the time was the only rectifier tube besides the stock one (which I never even listened too) that I had, but I didn't even like them with the 5V4G/GZ32, the bass presence was much too much for me. I do like the 6EW7's with the S/P and the GZ34, but didn't try them with the 5V4G/GZ32 yet. I have plenty of listening too do with the tube I already have for now.

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #1,273 of 4,838
Hmmm.. might work well with the HD800.  I find the Woo pretty bassy with the RS1i.  Thanks for the tips all.
Quote:
I got the RCA NOS 6FD7 (big bottle's) from Woo about a week ago, and I've got about 20hrs on them, and they are a nice sounding tube. I had them paired with the 1958 Mullard 5AR4/GZ34 and maybe found the overall bass presence just a little too much for me,

Mar 18, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #1,274 of 4,838

I have them , an all Sophia set up will give you the widest possible sound stage on the WA6, the sound is very smooth & "tubey" & bass has good impact. This was my fav combo for the T90, which is a bit bright. The Sophia 6SN7 will need some break in, initially the treble may sound a bit rough but it will smoothen out. For the HD 800 i preferred the TS 6SN7 drivers as the HD 800 needs more mid / bass weight rather than bigger soundstage.

The best sound that I have heard from the HD 800 + WA6 is while using USAF 596 + TS 6SN7.

Mar 18, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #1,275 of 4,838

If you read my post again you will see that the reason I didn't like the 6GL7/6EM7's was because paired with the GZ34, the bass was much too much, and then I said the S/P is the richest souding, so there is an even heaier bass presencse with this combo. Being you are waiting for the S/P…the 6GL7/6EM7 just may be the combo you are looking for with your HD 800, if this is what you feel the you need (bass), let me know if you want to try this combo for the HD's, and like I said I will give them to you for nothing but the shipping cost, and you will need the adapters. I could care less if you want them or not, please don't feel I'm trying too push them on you, but I'll never use them again and this combo sounds like what you want for the HD's, especially with the S/P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back