Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Feb 11, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #1,171 of 4,853
Thanks for the quote from Woo.  I did emailed Jack, so far haven't receive any reply.

One of my driver tube isn't perfectly straight, the left one is a bit tilted to the left.. I guess the side effect of hand build item.  Anyone having similar observation?

I'm not sure if I can give a good impression, I don't own that many amplifiers or headphones.  My only other amplifier is the Schiit vali, I only have a bit of time to listen, and I can feel the WA6SE has a larger sound stage compared to the vali, I feel the music sound wider.  I'm not very verse in describing my experience so please forgive me for not making much sense :).

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #1,172 of 4,853
Yes, that's nothing to worry about I have the same with the left one of my 6FD7 fat bottle, it's tilted a bit more towards the amplifier. I'm taking some pictures tomorrow of my gear so you can see it then.

And the stock rectifier is ****, just so you know :D (Shuguang 274B)

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #1,173 of 4,853
  Yes, that's nothing to worry about I have the same with the left one of my 6FD7 fat bottle, it's tilted a bit more towards the amplifier. I'm taking some pictures tomorrow of my gear so you can see it then.

And the stock rectifier is ****, just so you know :D (Shuguang 274B)

Hehe figured that.. I got Sophia Princess and GZ34 metal coming.  Looking for those 6FD7 so I can finish my amp purchases and start moving to DAC.

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #1,174 of 4,853
Nice! Yeah I'm running with a NAD D 1050 DAC at the moment which satisfies me enough for now, might go for a Mytek down the road but that's going to take some time to save up for, lol. I currently run the WA6-SE with the EML 274B and the 5U4G, they are pretty awesome. I might get the GZ34 aswell :)

And yeah, if you want to be sure then just buy a pair of 6FD7 from Woo Audio, then you don't have to worry about anything not working as it should :)

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #1,175 of 4,853
Got a reply from Jack on how he verify the tubes:

We test all tubes on an actual amp for performance, noise, and matching. All tubes will be gone through some aging process. Tube vendors will not do this at all. They will not be able to test noise for the most part and they rely reading on a general purpose tube tester.

I ordered a pair from him.  Looking forward to give it a listen.

Feb 12, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #1,176 of 4,853
Tell me when you've received them and tested and how the condition is ect. :) I might get a pair myself.

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #1,177 of 4,853
Got 5pcs set of GE 6FD7 fat bottle matched from ebay for less than $25 with shipping.

Also my mighty 596 with adapter from glenn arrived today, used from another head-fier. The problem is the that it was used with WA5LE. So when installed with WA6-SE, the tube tends to face a different direction (between 4 - 5 o'clock). Is there a way I could have it face front (6 o'clock)? Anyone here encountered the same problem?

Feb 13, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #1,178 of 4,853
Got 5pcs set of GE 6FD7 fat bottle matched from ebay for less than $25 with shipping.

Also my mighty 596 with adapter from glenn arrived today, used from another head-fier. The problem is the that it was used with WA5LE. So when installed with WA6-SE, the tube tends to face a different direction (between 4 - 5 o'clock). Is there a way I could have it face front (6 o'clock)? Anyone here encountered the same problem?

My 596 to 5U4G adapter made by Woo Audio is also facing around 4-5 o'clock as you described.

Feb 13, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #1,179 of 4,853
Here's the photo of the pins. As you can see, the cables are not aligned with the guide pin. The easiest way I could think of is to get rid of that guide pin. But I'm not sure if its a good idea.

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #1,180 of 4,853
Here's the photo of the pins. As you can see, the cables are not aligned with the guide pin. The easiest way I could think of is to get rid of that guide pin. But I'm not sure if its a good idea.

That would be a terrible idea and would probably lead to a short and damage to tube or amp or both.

The guide pin is to make sure all the connections go to the right place and that its wired right.

Also, if its a woo adapter, twisting the adapter to align the tube right is also a bad idea.

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #1,182 of 4,853
  Thanks DG, I was also advised by Glenn not to do it. I guess I'll have to live with it. Its quite annoying though.

Mine seems lined up O.K..  It was from Glenn.

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #1,184 of 4,853
  I have a pair of the fat bottle RCA 6FD7 from the 50's that I've been using instead lately. I do like them, but I haven't quite decided yet. The 6GL7's may still be my real favorites.

What rectifier are you using the 6GL7 with ?

Edit:
Did a search & got the reply - Mullard GZ32/CV593

Have you tried TS 6SN7GT ? I really prefer this over 6FD7 with the GZ32 for HD 800, haven't tried the 6GL7.

Further Edit:
With the HE 500, I prefer the 6FD7 with the GZ32, the added gain & bit brighter sound helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back