Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Jul 19, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #1,471 of 4,839
  Does anyone have any recommendations for tubes that provide a more neutral sound with a very good sound stage?  For the WA6-SE that is, it's supposed to be on the bright side and I'd like to change that.  I guess you could say I want to make it sound closer to the WA7, but I want the power of the WA6-SE.  

Yes   6FD7 matched pair from Woo and a Sophia Princess 274b mesh plate either from woo or from Sophia direct.  Outstanding combo, and I am coming from a wa7.

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #1,473 of 4,839
  Does anyone have any recommendations for tubes that provide a more neutral sound with a very good sound stage?  For the WA6-SE that is, it's supposed to be on the bright side and I'd like to change that.  I guess you could say I want to make it sound closer to the WA7, but I want the power of the WA6-SE.  

This was the main reason I switched back to the WA6…the 6-SE was too bright/thin sounding to me, especially with the RS1i's.
But I did find that the S/P rectifier tube with the 6DR7 or the 6FD7 calmed this a bit on the 6-SE, but still preferred the WA6 with the 6SN7's over the 6-SE with any tube combo I tried. You can also try the 6GL7/6EM7 tubes with the 6-SE…but have an overall heavy bass presence IMO, which makes the higher frequencies less noticeable and you'll need adapters to use them, so these may interest you. I also find the WA6 to sound more like a tube amp, where as the 6-SE sounds more like a SS amp…which I'm not saying anything bad about SS amps, but if I wanted a SS amp, I would have bought one.

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #1,476 of 4,839
  I just got the Woo 6SN7 > 6DE7 adaptors and some stock Raytheon 6SN7 GTB tubes for my WA6. Just letting it run and break in.
Any recommendations for some kick butt 6SN7 tubes.. Sound stage with the HD800 is huge with spectrum nicely balanced and fabulous details and highs.  Just looking for a little more kick join the bass. (may get that as the new tubes break in.. we'll see :)

MickeyVee, you should investigate this tube. I'm using them in my WA6 with the 596 rectifier tube. The Sophia Electric 6SN7's. Great combination! Be aware though that the SE 6SN7's if used with the S/P rectifier tube produces a very muddy sound.

Also check out some 5692 NOS Red Base tubes (6SN7 family), there are a few up for bids on eBay right now.
Also the NOS Sylvania 6SN7WGTA's are very nice.

IMHO - The SE 6SN7 is a good tube but overpriced (just like the S Princess). For equal or cheaper price there are quite a few better 6SN7's available. RCA red base 5692's are one & few others are ;

Ken Rad VT231 6SN7GT Black Glass
TS BP 6F8G
National Union 6F8G
Sylvania 6F8G
Brimar CV1988
Sylvania Bad Boy 6SN7GT

The above is based on my experience with WA22. You may have to show some patience to snag some of the above at a good price.

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #1,477 of 4,839
IMHO - The SE 6SN7 is a good tube but overpriced (just like the S Princess). For equal or cheaper price there are quite a few better 6SN7's available. RCA red base 5692's are one & few others are ;

TS BP 6F8G

National Union 6F8G

Sylvania 6F8G

Brimar CV1988

Sylvania Bad Boy 6SN7GT

The above is based on my experience with WA22. You may have to show some patience to snag some of the above at a good price.
Thanks for the list punit. I'll start hunting for these tubes. Nothing like the chase my friend.

Jul 20, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #1,479 of 4,839

Some info about diff types of 6SN7 tubes.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/117677/the-reference-6sn7-thread

I have a couple of pairs of the NOS RCA RED BASE 5692's…I've been keeping my eye out for the others you've mentioned above, but they are hard to come across. Do you know where I can get my hands on any of the above, besides the SE?
Thanks for the link about the 6SN7 Thread…I will be reading this tonight while listening!

Jul 21, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #1,480 of 4,839
All of them were obtained by me from ebay after couple of months of patient stalking. I could send you a list of some good tube sellers if interested & you can also try your luck with them.

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #1,481 of 4,839
  All of them were obtained by me from ebay after couple of months of patient stalking. I could send you a list of some good tube sellers if interested & you can also try your luck with them.

Thanks punit, I actually saw some Tung Sol 5692 on eBay…which were a bit pricy for me right now.
But I would appreciate the list of good sellers you've offered for the near future.
Thanks very much!

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #1,482 of 4,839
Thanks for the list.. good place for me to start :)
Quote:

TS BP 6F8G
National Union 6F8G
Sylvania 6F8G
Brimar CV1988
Sylvania Bad Boy 6SN7GT

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #1,483 of 4,839
I forgot to mention that the 6F8G tubes need an adapter for you to be able to run them on 6sn7 sockets . Woo & Glenn make these adapters. Like the one in the pic below :

Please  check with Woo if 6F8G can be used on WA6. If they can be then that means that you will have to use a 6F8G adapter on top of a 6SN7 adapter for the WA6.

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #1,484 of 4,839
Anybody here pairing a WA6 on HE500/560? Any other planars? I would like some feedback.. I read a couple posts here and impressions are a mixed bag. Some say it doesn't have enough power, others say it's fine.

I'm worried about power output with music with a large dynamic range, since it only does .5W. I tried a WA6 at a meet with a he560 and it got super loud, but, I wasn't using my music. I get 2-3 o' clock on a Schiit Magni with these large D.R tracks.

I would be using Sophia Princess + Stock driver and either 6EW7 or 6FD7.

Thanks. 

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #1,485 of 4,839
My WA6 drives the LCD-X easily and gives a great sound, but that is a very easy panar to drive.

I don't even try it with my HE6 - that just isn't going to fly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back