Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Oct 8, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #4,726 of 4,852
Hi there, I just got a WA 6 SE Gen 1 and I’m seeing that it takes 6DE7. But the compatibility list on on Woo’s website only lists 13DE7 and other 13 series tubes. Is there a way to find the compatibility sheet specific to the Gen 1?

I’m particularly interested on if I can roll 6SN7’s in the Gen 1 SE or if that’s only for the base WA6.

Here You go (page 11):

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/606835/Woo-Audio-Wa6-Se.html?page=11#manual

Woo says 6sn7 is for wa6 only (not SE).

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #4,727 of 4,852
Thanks, I'll keep it handy.

Do you have any recommendations on tube types to go after? It doesn't seem like 6DE7 has many rollable options and I'm not sure where to start.

Or would I get more mileage rolling the rectifier?

Oct 8, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #4,728 of 4,852
Thanks, I'll keep it handy.

Do you have any recommendations on tube types to go after? It doesn't seem like 6DE7 has many rollable options and I'm not sure where to start.

Or would I get more mileage rolling the rectifier?
For the Woo WA6 and the Woo WA6SE, the choice of rectifier tube has a large impact on the sound quality. PS - my favourite rectifier tube, also reasonably priced, is the Brimar CV1863. This can be found on, bought from Langrex (langrex.co.uk): roughly $53 USD.

Oct 8, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #4,729 of 4,852
Do you have any recommendations on tube types to go after? It doesn't seem like 6DE7 has many rollable options and I'm not sure where to start
Here You go:)

Post in thread 'Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice' https://www.head-fi.org/threads/woo...ents-pictures-and-advice.587285/post-15076513

As for rectifiers i could not agree more with @jonathan c about the impact of rectifier on sound. Sophia Princess 274b is also a good option and looks awesome.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #4,730 of 4,852
Would you say the Brimar is worth it even with shipping from the UK to USA?
For the Woo WA6 and the Woo WA6SE, the choice of rectifier tube has a large impact on the sound quality. PS - my favourite rectifier tube, also reasonably priced, is the Brimar CV1863. This can be found on, bought from Langrex (langrex.co.uk): roughly $53 USD.
I’ve also currently have a mesh plate Sophia 274B and I’ve heard it’s pretty good for a modern tube but NOS ones tend to be nicer overall.

Oct 8, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #4,731 of 4,852

I’ve also currently have a mesh plate Sophia 274B and I’ve heard it’s pretty good for a modern tube but NOS ones tend to be nicer overall.

Sophia is nice, as mentioned. I do not have much experience in rolling rectifiers, except i changed stock Chinease rectifier (which was awful) into Sophia, which was great.

Here You have a nice rectifier comparisons:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dub...mparison-rectifer-tube-rolling-thread.694525/

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #4,732 of 4,852

I have felt that the Langrex shipping cost is reasonable; and, in the many times when I have ordered from Langrex, the longest period from ‘order’ to ‘arrival’ has been twelve days. Only you can determine a transaction’s worth for you.

Oct 8, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #4,733 of 4,852

I would say the Brimar 5V4GY is easily worth it. Like $75 shipped. Sophia 274B is not so good to me personally. I put the Brimar over it even though it is much cheaper. The Brimar is very warm, it has a nice airy smooth sounding stage. I would say it's a bit less detailed which can balance sharper headphones too. The Sophia 274B is fairly expensive at $250, I wouldn't buy one personally. I find it can make some weird tones, and perhaps muddle certain lower mid frequencies. It makes a tall stage, but not the deepest or widest. It sounds quite nice in some unique ways to me as well but way too expensive.

Oct 15, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #4,736 of 4,852
Anyone have much experience using 6SN7 with WA6 SE? I am curious how it sounds vs the other drivers and it's compatibility.

I am reading some old information it is saying it is not compatible with the WA6 SE but the WA6. Is this right?

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #4,737 of 4,852
Anyone have much experience using 6SN7 with WA6 SE? I am curious how it sounds vs the other drivers and it's compatibility.

I am reading some old information it is saying it is not compatible with the WA6 SE but the WA6. Is this right?
Correct, 6SN7 is NOT compatible with the WA6-SE. It is compatible with the WA6.

Oct 15, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #4,738 of 4,852

Yes. The 6SN7 plus 6SN7=>6DE7 adapter can be used in WA6 (Gen. 1) but cannot be used in WA6-SE (Gen. 1).

Oct 15, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #4,740 of 4,852

Users who are viewing this thread

Back