Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Jan 24, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #4,546 of 4,871
I have not bought a WE422a yet. It's on my short list. Currently building up my 6J5 and 6F8G collection for the WA5-LE. Having said that, I DO own 2 Elrog 5U4G's and have tried them in my WA6-SE Gen 2's. I stand by my assessment that they are THE rectifier to beat, bar none. While I haven't tried EVERY rectifier out there, I've tried enough to know what I like. Yes, they are expensive (which is a relative term), but in this case, they're entirely justified by their performance. For the current asking price for 422a's, you could buy the ER5U4G, AND a Brimar 5Z4GY, AND a Emission Labs 5U4G....
…and dinner with spouse / S-O …? 🤔

Jan 24, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #4,547 of 4,871
The Woo WA6 (1st Gen), ‘tubed’ with Brimar CV1863 and RCA 6DE7s,
458DB22D-6023-4E38-8EA6-892E0B5DE45B.jpeg
is a wonderful h/p/a to drive
20632DA1-B922-48B1-BD9C-C3A5213E33FC.jpeg
Grado RS-1x. The Grado virtues of clarity, openness, and soundstage are present - with a more level tonal balance / frequency response! Bass is fully fleshed out and sinuous: icing on the cake, kahlua in the coffee…etc…🤷🏻‍♂️🙂!

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #4,548 of 4,871
The Woo WA6 (1st Gen), ‘tubed’ with Brimar CV1863 and RCA 6DE7s, 458DB22D-6023-4E38-8EA6-892E0B5DE45B.jpegis a wonderful h/p/a to drive 20632DA1-B922-48B1-BD9C-C3A5213E33FC.jpeg Grado RS-1x. The Grado virtues of clarity, openness, and soundstage are present - with a more level tonal balance / frequency response! Bass is fully fleshed out and sinuous: icing on the cake, kahlua in the coffee…etc…🤷🏻‍♂️🙂!

+1 :sunglasses:

IMG_1927.jpeg

Jan 25, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #4,549 of 4,871
For the current asking price for 422a's, you could buy the ER5U4G, AND a Brimar 5Z4GY, AND a Emission Labs 5U4G....
While prices have skyrocketed on the WE 422A and the early tubes from the 50s like these are hard to find (military version)
3FFE3CD2-3E8C-4DDD-BC29-E2B39928CC6D.jpeg

(352)

You surely can get them for the same price as a Elrog 5U4G. You remember @ColSaulTigh when I asked you if you are interested the price was around $780 for a NOS 422A.

So you got to keep an eye out 👁️ and not buy at ridiculous prices. Personally I would assume you can snatch one between 800-900 if you’re patient.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #4,550 of 4,871
While prices have skyrocketed on the WE 422A and the early tubes from the 50s like these are hard to find (military version)
3FFE3CD2-3E8C-4DDD-BC29-E2B39928CC6D.jpeg
(352)

You surely can get them for the same price as a Elrog 5U4G. You remember @ColSaulTigh when I asked you if you are interested the price was around $780 for a NOS 422A.

So you got to keep an eye out 👁️ and not buy at ridiculous prices. Personally I would assume you can snatch one between 800-900 if you’re patient.
Remember, I need to buy them in PAIRS though - the WA5-LE takes TWO rectifiers. So $1,600-$1,800 is a bit tough just to see if they outperform my current ToTL. But never-say-never...if the right deal comes along or I get some extra "FU" money...

Jan 25, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #4,551 of 4,871
Recently bought a USB cable "Oyaide Continental 5S V2 1.2m high-quality" (from Japan, ~ $300) to replace my wireworld starlight 8 in my WA6-SE Gen2 system. Big difference, in similar magnitude of Synergistic Research purple fuse. If your digital source is desktop/laptop ---> DAC ----> WA6-SE, give this USB cable a try. You won't regret!!

Jan 26, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #4,552 of 4,871
Remember, I need to buy them in PAIRS though - the WA5-LE takes TWO rectifiers. So $1,600-$1,800 is a bit tough just to see if they outperform my current ToTL. But never-say-never...if the right deal comes along or I get some extra "FU" money
0483DF69-7DFA-481E-A553-DD98C49F1EAF.gif

Jan 27, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #4,553 of 4,871
When a headphone sometimes needs a kick in the bass, it’s Ken-Rad tube time…
5424BC27-814D-4ACD-BB47-0C9A2D5FF1A0.jpeg
BF51DD68-A515-4D35-A551-658043995568.jpeg
[Ken-Rad VT-231s on Woo Audio 6SN7 => 6DE7 adapters (works of art?) in Woo Audio WA6 (Gen-1).]

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #4,554 of 4,871
Ok, long story short: I bought the WA6 (2nd gen) about 3 years ago.

I wasn't real impressed with its stock sound, especially for driving my OG Arya's (not enough power), so I basically boxed it up and put it away in a closet and forgot about it after messing with it for a couple weeks (I'm bad at selling gear).

Now I drug it out because I'm interested in using it in a 2nd bedroom setup (in which I've been using various sub $500 SS amps). I mostly use my EE Odin IEMs in this setup (no full sized headphone sound leak allowed when the significant other is trying to relax/sleep) and as the WA6 has 1) no background noise with them, 2) a better sound stage than all my sub $500 SS amps with them (a huge plus with IEMs which, of course, need all the help they can get with sound stage), and, 3) hey! sounds pretty good with them, I'm finally willing to try some tube rolling to see if I can improve the stock sound.

This is where I apologize profusely for asking the question that's been asked ad nauseam in this thread, but what are the general recommendations for driver tubes for the WA6 (2nd Gen)? And am I correct in that is where I should focus as the rectifier tube has less impact on sound?

I'm not looking to spend that much: under $200 would be preferred for a pair of driver tubes. And I don't care if they are a newly manufactured or NOS. I'm looking to improve clarity most of all, with maybe more sparkle/air at top. Or whatever tubes in this price range generally improve the stock sound.

Thanks so much for any help: I really don't have the time to dig through dozens/hundreds of thread pages trying to find my answer.

Jan 30, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #4,555 of 4,871

I wasn't real impressed with its stock sound, especially for driving my OG Arya's (not enough power), so I basically boxed it up and put it away in a closet and forgot about it after messing with it for a couple weeks (I'm bad at selling gear).

Now I drug it out because I'm interested in using it in a 2nd bedroom setup (in which I've been using various sub $500 SS amps). I mostly use my EE Odin IEMs in this setup (no full sized headphone sound leak allowed when the significant other is trying to relax/sleep) and as the WA6 has 1) no background noise with them, 2) a better sound stage than all my sub $500 SS amps with them (a huge plus with IEMs which, of course, need all the help they can get with sound stage), and, 3) hey! sounds pretty good with them, I'm finally willing to try some tube rolling to see if I can improve the stock sound.

This is where I apologize profusely for asking the question that's been asked ad nauseam in this thread, but what are the general recommendations for driver tubes for the WA6 (2nd Gen)? And am I correct in that is where I should focus as the rectifier tube has less impact on sound?

I'm not looking to spend that much: under $200 would be preferred for a pair of driver tubes. And I don't care if they are a newly manufactured or NOS. I'm looking to improve clarity most of all, with maybe more sparkle/air at top. Or whatever tubes in this price range generally improve the stock sound.

Thanks so much for any help: I really don't have the time to dig through dozens/hundreds of thread pages trying to find my answer.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #4,556 of 4,871

Actually for Woo Audio h/p/a that use rectifier tubes, those tubes have a large impact on sound. Fortunately, there is an excellent one (which I use) which is not outrageously priced: Brimar CV1863, available via Langrex, at £42.50 each (~ $53.00 each). As for the driver tubes, Sylvania 13DE7s are a wonderful choice. The “yellow print” should be around $80 per pair.

Jan 30, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #4,557 of 4,871

With the WA6 (and SE), you'll get more improvement out of rectifiers than you think. If you're budget-conscious, target a Brimar 5Z4GY for about $50-$60 shipped from eBay. I call this tube "Chernobyl" because it runs as hot as a nuclear reactor in meltdown, but sounds damn good for the price!

If you can go a bit over your budget, the Sophia Princess 274B Mesh is a nice rectifier and looks fantastic. You can usually find them around $250 in various places.

As for drivers, there's plenty to choose from, but the general rule of thumb is stick with the well known names (RCA/Sylvania/GE/etc.).

Jan 30, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #4,558 of 4,871
Jan 30, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #4,559 of 4,871
Wow! Thanks so much for the quick and helpful replies already guys!

I think I remember looking at a Sophia Princess years ago because it was recommended and I loved the way it looks.

Had no idea rectifier tubes had this much of an impact. Shows how much (little) I know about tube gear (I always stayed away from it in my 2 channel setups and I'm only finally ready to mess around with it in headphone amps...was even looking at the Cayin HA-3A and HA-6A).

Well, seems I already have some good options, so I'm going to check them out and probably quickly order something. I'll report back about what I get and how I like them in time.

Thanks again!

Jan 31, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #4,560 of 4,871

Users who are viewing this thread

Back