Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Aug 8, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #1,531 of 4,839

I am very keen to get my hands on some USAF 596s for my WA6 and to try in my WA5 (when I get it in a few weeks).

Does the 596 need an adapter for the 274B socket or does it plug right in?

What tube setup are you currently running in your WA5?

needs adapter

running EML 300B , Tung Sol 6F8G, and CV593.

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #1,532 of 4,839
  running EML 300B , Tung Sol 6F8G, and CV593.

I really like my EML 274B rectifier in my WA6. EML make very nice tubes. The are also stunning to look at (tubegasm
eek.gif
).

I plan to start with EML 274B mesh rectifiers and SP 300B mesh plate power tubes in my WA5. Will also have a set of SP 274B to play with.

Have no idea which driver tubes - will try the Treasure CV-181s / NOS Sylvania 6SN7GTA / Sophia 6SN7s - and see what happens
smile_phones.gif

Are you finding the TS 6F8G superior to the 6SN7s?

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #1,533 of 4,839
Nice pics, thanks!

Quote:
Some pics of the EML 274B with the Shuguang CV-181s (plus adapters) - a lot of tube for a smallish amp. It all fits, but only just.  

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #1,534 of 4,839

Lots of fun and a little frustration so far. Finding a tube combination that sounds great is tremendous fun 
biggrin.gif
spending cash on tubes that suck isn't
blink.gif

I try to read a lot of opinions here on head-fi and elsewhere, and ask lots of (mostly dumb) questions, but I still have very little idea on what I am doing. When I find a nice tube setup it is usually more by accident more than anything.

I have some NOS Sylvania 6SN7GTA coming soon, as well as the Sophia 6SN7s. Going to be a lot of fun comparing the NOS Sylvania to the new production tubes.

This is exactly what I had to do with tube rolling. I asked/tried many questions/tubes, and spent a lot of $…and finally settled on the 596 and some different brands of 5692's/6SN7's, which many of them I own I haven't even tried yet. I do really like the NOS Sylvania 6SN7WGTA's which I'm familiar with at this point, and right now I'm using some NOS 1966 RCA Red Base 5692's, which are burning in pretty nicely!

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #1,535 of 4,839
  This is exactly what I had to do with tube rolling. I asked/tried many questions/tubes, and spent a lot of $…and finally settled on the 596 and some different brands of 5692's/6SN7's, which many of them I own I haven't even tried yet. I do really like the NOS Sylvania 6SN7WGTA's which I'm familiar with at this point, and right now I'm using some NOS 1966 RCA Red Base 5692's, which are burning in pretty nicely!

There are so many NOS driver tube options out there that it can be a little confusing for a noob like me. I am hoping that the higher end new production tubes (like the Shuguang Treasure CV-181s and Sophia Electric 6SN7s) can at least come close to the SQ of the NOS 'classics' like the Sylvania 6SN7GTA... etc. It's going to be fun finding out
smile_phones.gif

The new production driver tubes don't get a lot of love on this forum, so information on them is a little scanty.

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #1,536 of 4,839

There are so many NOS driver tube options out there that it can be a little confusing for a noob like me. I am hoping that the higher end new production tubes (like the Shuguang Treasure CV-181s and Sophia Electric 6SN7s) can at least come close to the SQ of the NOS 'classics' like the Sylvania 6SN7GTA... etc. It's going to be fun finding out
smile_phones.gif

The new production driver tubes don't get a lot of love on this forum, so information on them is a little scanty.

I've yet to buy/hear a new production 6SN7, but some day in the far future I will try them.
I purchased 7 different types of 6SN7 tube in about 1 month while waiting for my WA6 so I'm set for a long time! If your real confused just try the Sylvania's that I mentioned, you can't go wrong!
beerchug.gif

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #1,537 of 4,839
  I've yet to buy/hear a new production 6SN7, but some day in the far future I will try them.
I purchased 7 different types of 6SN7 tube in about 1 month while waiting for my WA6 so I'm set for a long time! If your real confused just try the Sylvania's that I mentioned, you can't go wrong!
beerchug.gif

I'm really looking forward to comparing the Sylvanias to my CV-181s and SE 6SN7s once they arrive.

So far the CV-181s are performing very well. This is the first driver tube I have used that is 'right' across the entire spectrum - treble/mids/vocals/bass are all presented well with plenty of detail. Nothing appears to dominate anything else or is recessed. Very even and balanced. Not a warm tube - closer to neutral, I think. It would pair very well with a warmer rectifier like my SP 274B, but that combination of fat tubes just isn't going to fit in my WA6. A real pity, as think that combination could be excellent
frown.gif

There is still a little harshness in the sound. This is receding as the burn in proceeds - only about 30 or 40 hours in so far. From what I can find, these tubes need plenty of burn in to reach their best - 150+ hours - so a long way to go. Very pleased with the results so far
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #1,538 of 4,839

I'm really looking forward to comparing the Sylvanias to my CV-181s and SE 6SN7s once they arrive.

So far the CV-181s are performing very well. This is the first driver tube I have used that is 'right' across the entire spectrum - treble/mids/vocals/bass are all presented well with plenty of detail. Nothing appears to dominate anything else or is recessed. Very even and balanced. Not a warm tube - closer to neutral, I think. It would pair very well with a warmer rectifier like my SP 274B, but that combination of fat tubes just isn't going to fit in my WA6. A real pity, as think that combination could be excellent
frown.gif

There is still a little harshness in the sound. This is receding as the burn in proceeds - only about 30 or 40 hours in so far. From what I can find, these tubes need plenty of burn in to reach their best - 150+ hours - so a long way to go. Very pleased with the results so far
biggrin.gif

Can't wait to hear the comparison either!

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #1,539 of 4,839
I really like my EML 274B rectifier in my WA6. EML make very nice tubes. The are also stunning to look at (tubegasm :eek: ).

I plan to start with EML 274B mesh rectifiers and SP 300B mesh plate power tubes in my WA5. Will also have a set of SP 274B to play with.

Have no idea which driver tubes - will try the Treasure CV-181s / NOS Sylvania 6SN7GTA / Sophia 6SN7s - and see what happens :smile_phones:

Are you finding the TS 6F8G superior to the 6SN7s?

the ts 6f8g are very good tubes, dont think superior to 6sn7 though, also 6f8g have noise problems sometimes and its hard to get good pair but same for 6sn7

i do not like the new production tubes though, the treasure cv181 are OK, but NOS 6sn7 still better.

i had 596 rectifiers on wa5, but i find the cv593 to be alot better and its only like $150 for a pair or so, was cheaper until only recently

Aug 11, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #1,540 of 4,839
A quick update on the new production 6SN7s in my WA6. The Shuguang Treasures are at about 60 to 70 hours and continue to impress me with an even, detailed and neutral presentation. Some harshness still remains - not intrusive, but it is there. I am hoping this will disappear when burn in is complete.

I was so impressed with the Shuggies I have ordered a set of PSVANE T2 CV-181s - the next step up from the Shug Treasures (I think). Will post some comparisons once both sets have passed the 150+ hours mark.

Anyway, I have pulled the Shuggies from my WA6 this evening, because my Sophia Electric 6SN7s have arrived. A sweet, warm tube. Right out of the box they sound good. No harshness and very musical. I am really liking this tube. Looking forward to finding out how much it improves with 100+ hours on it. A little wooly and muffled at the moment, but that is to be expected with zero burn in. Even so, it is a joy to listen to in combination with my EML 274B.

So far I am pleased with how my venture into new production tubes is going. No disrespect to the craftsmen of the 50s and 60s, but with modern materials and manufacturing technology surely it must be possible to create new tubes with the right mix of reliability, price and sound? Perhaps I am expecting too much?

Aug 11, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #1,541 of 4,839
TonyN, thanks for keeping us informed on your tube rolling.

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #1,542 of 4,839
1.) can someone give impressions about the Sophia Princess 274B mesh vs rigid plate, soundwise, pros and cons of each of the two? i'm looking for an upgrade for the wa6-se,

2.) also, any experiences with the 274B, Sophia vs EML? the EML is like double the price!

3.) and also, is the:

Drive/Power tube option 1:
1 matched pair of 6GL7/6EM7 plus one pair of 6GL7->6DE7 Teflon tube adapters

the ultimate upgrade for what it's said (in the description on woo audio's webpage) it brings, or is there something else i need to consider?

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #1,543 of 4,839
  1.) can someone give impressions about the Sophia Princess 274B mesh vs rigid plate, soundwise, pros and cons of each of the two? i'm looking for an upgrade for the wa6-se,

2.) also, any experiences with the 274B, Sophia vs EML? the EML is like double the price!

3.) and also, is the:

the ultimate upgrade for what it's said (in the description on woo audio's webpage) it brings, or is there something else i need to consider?

I asked dubstep for advice on what tubes to try with my new WA6SE and she recommended the mighty 596 rectifier with 6fd7 drive tubes.  It is a heavenly sound.  I am extremely happy.  I also have a new Sophia 274b mesh plate that I have tried. The Sophia is nice but  it isn't getting any time since I got the mighty 596.  I will try the 6gl7's eventually.

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #1,544 of 4,839

3.) and also, is the:

I know what the Woo site says as far as the 6GL7/6EM7…I tried these tubes due to the description, and returned them due to their amount of bass presence which drowned out all of the detail/high frequencies. Just my opinion, you may like them, I wouldn't know, only you will by trying them.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back