Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Aug 7, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #1,516 of 4,839

I have the SP mesh 274B and an EML mesh 274B. Both are very good. The EML is slightly better to my ears, but that is a matter of taste - I would be happy with either.

A small point is that the EML is the most attractive tube I have ever seen. Beautiful piece of workmanship. If I can get my camera to work I will try to highlight the EML tube.

With the tight fit on the Treasure CV-181s I can only fit the thinner EML tube in the WA6 - fatter Sophia Princess is a non-starter. A straight walled NOS rectifier would fit even better, but I am trying to avoid NOS tubes at the moment as that has not worked out well for me so far.

I have purchased all the NOS options currently advertised on the Woo website for the WA6. None of these tubes come close to the sonic results I am getting from the Shuguang Treasures, and apart from getting the adapters (which are very nice) a waste of money IMHO. I will list all these tubes at the end of this message.

I made an email inquiry on the Woo site regarding Sophia Electric 6SN7s a few days ago - no reply to this - so I ordered direct from Sophia Electric (made a PayPal payment then followed up with an email) - my tubes were dispatched within 24 hours and I should have them in a week or so. Excellent customer service from the folks at Sophia Electric.

My NOS tubes from Woo:

7N7 - Tung Sol (harsh treble and rather unpleasant to my ears - further burn in might have fixed this, but I couldn't stand having them in for that long)
6EM7 - GE (smooth and warm tube - rather nice - but a little wooly and lacking in detail)
6SN7 - Channel Master (re-branded Hitachi, AFAIK). Not a bad sound - nice mids and strong bass - but lacking at the top end. The best of the 3 for me.

The Shuguang Treasures outperformed all the above right out of the box.

Please don't take any of the above as a slagging of Woo Audio. I love their gear, just not the NOS tubes they sell for the WA6.

I was so impressed with the sound of my WA6 with the Shuguang Treasures + EML 274B that I have ordered a WA5. I just can't get enough of that tubey goodness
smile_phones.gif

I was actually quoting MickyVee's post about him not liking the 6SN7's, thats why I asked what brand he was using, and with what rectifier. But I'm up on your posts also!
beerchug.gif

Aug 7, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #1,520 of 4,839
Sophia Princess 274B Rectifier & Raytheon 6SN7GTB drivers with Woo adaptors.

Quote:
  What brand/ 6SN7's are you using from Woo, the Sophia Electric…also what rectifier tube?

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #1,521 of 4,839
I said not impressed yet, not that I don't like them :) Maybe the need more burn in but they probably have 50+ hours.  They're growing on me and maybe surpassing the stock GE 6DE7.  Maybe my expectations are too high.  Will try the SE 6SN7's and then stop.

Quote:
  I was actually quoting MickyVee's post about him not liking the 6SN7's, thats why I asked what brand he was using, and with what rectifier. But I'm up on your posts also!
beerchug.gif

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #1,523 of 4,839
The NOS Slyvania 6SN7's WGTA's are real nice sounding.
Also the SP with the 6SN7's may be too much of a warm sound…depending on what you like.
My experience that the Sophia Princess with my Sophia Electric 6SN7's sounded like mud, I mean like super super thick. The USAF 596 rectified that situation.

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #1,525 of 4,839
Thanks gents.. I'll try other 6SN7's than the SP.  No hurry right now as I spend most of my free time on my new road bike while the weather cooperates.

Quote:
  The NOS Slyvania 6SN7's WGTA's are real nice sounding.
Also the SP with the 6SN7's may be too much of a warm sound…depending on what you like.

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #1,527 of 4,839
Some pics of the EML 274B with the Shuguang CV-181s (plus adapters) - a lot of tube for a smallish amp. It all fits, but only just.

Sounds great - looks atrocious. Apologies for the awful camera work.

TonyN, you've got a sweet setup there my friend. The black WA6 with those tubes makes it look like something from the set of a Frankenstein movie, or even kinda steampunk retro with a bit of military grade seriousness. Keep us informed on the sound. Are you having fun tube rolling?

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #1,528 of 4,839
some of these tube combos make me facepalm 
confused_face.gif
 i wanna see 6F8G 596 WA6!

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #1,529 of 4,839
TonyN, you've got a sweet setup there my friend. The black WA6 with those tubes makes it look like something from the set of a Frankenstein movie, or even kinda steampunk retro with a bit of military grade seriousness. Keep us informed on the sound. Are you having fun tube rolling?

Lots of fun and a little frustration so far. Finding a tube combination that sounds great is tremendous fun 
biggrin.gif
spending cash on tubes that suck isn't
blink.gif

I try to read a lot of opinions here on head-fi and elsewhere, and ask lots of (mostly dumb) questions, but I still have very little idea on what I am doing. When I find a nice tube setup it is usually more by accident more than anything.

I have some NOS Sylvania 6SN7GTA coming soon, as well as the Sophia 6SN7s. Going to be a lot of fun comparing the NOS Sylvania to the new production tubes.

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #1,530 of 4,839
  some of these tube combos make me facepalm 
confused_face.gif
 i wanna see 6F8G 596 WA6!

I am very keen to get my hands on some USAF 596s for my WA6 and to try in my WA5 (when I get it in a few weeks).

Does the 596 need an adapter for the 274B socket or does it plug right in?

What tube setup are you currently running in your WA5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back