Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Aug 12, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #1,546 of 4,838
PSA I have a basically brand new WA6SE (maybe 150 hours) that I need to move. Kinda hoping to avoid putting an ad up so shoot me a PM if you are looking for a great deal

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #1,547 of 4,838
-1, you just put up an AD, but in the wrong section
mad.gif
this is not the classifieds!

some Wisey Wisers we got here
rolleyes.gif

Aug 13, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #1,548 of 4,838
  I know what the Woo site says as far as the 6GL7/6EM7…I tried these tubes due to the description, and returned them due to their amount of bass presence which drowned out all of the detail/high frequencies. Just my opinion, you may like them, I wouldn't know, only you will by trying them.
beerchug.gif

yep

they're good tubes, but needs rectifier like 596 to balance that bass out, its a nice synergistic combo, but otherwise, yeah very bassy slightly muddled. i like the 6GL7 but the description on the woo website that says you will hear every note with breathing air around it, definitely not true..

Aug 13, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #1,549 of 4,838

... the description on the woo website that says you will hear every note with breathing air around it, definitely not true..

I have bought and tried all the driver tubes recommended for the WA6 from the Woo website. Only the 6SN7 came close to living up to the description given. Someone at Woo got a little intoxicated with the marketing happy juice, I think
confused_face.gif

There are much better deals to be had elsewhere with NOS driver tubes IMHO.

Aug 13, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #1,550 of 4,838

yep

they're good tubes, but needs rectifier like 596 to balance that bass out, its a nice synergistic combo, but otherwise, yeah very bassy slightly muddled. i like the 6GL7 but the description on the woo website that says you will hear every note with breathing air around it, definitely not true..

Definitely hyped up…big time!
beerchug.gif

I have bought and tried all the driver tubes recommended for the WA6 from the Woo website. Only the 6SN7 came close to living up to the description given. Someone at Woo got a little intoxicated with the marketing happy juice, I think
confused_face.gif

There are much better deals to be had elsewhere with NOS driver tubes IMHO.

I got rid of my 6-SE because I love the 6SN7's 
beerchug.gif

Aug 13, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #1,553 of 4,838
  Yeah, I actually went real crazy, like a fiend buying 7 different NOS tubes before the WA6 even arrived…but at least I was well prepared for the arrival! 
biggrin.gif

I was very close to buying the WA6SE for the extra output power to drive more headphones, but ended up sticking with the WA6. Glad I did - with the right tube combo it drives a mid range dynamic (like the HD600s) very, very well.

Just starting my 6SN7 journey, trying some higher end new production tubes also (Sophia / Shuguang Treasures / PSVANE) and will be comparing those to the NOS tubes I am accumulating. Having fun, but it takes quite a bit of time and $$$.

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #1,556 of 4,838
  Don't see 5R4GYS on the compatibility chart…but do see 5R4 GA/GB/GY/GYA/GYB so I'm not sure if S is compatible, but I'm sure DG would know!

If looks to be compatible.  It says its a replacement for a GZ34 down below in the review.   It also says its like a 5U4G by the mfg.

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #1,557 of 4,838

Don't see 5R4GYS on the compatibility chart…but do see 5R4 GA/GB/GY/GYA/GYB so I'm not sure if S is compatible, but I'm sure DG would know!

If looks to be compatible.  It says its a replacement for a GZ34 down below in the review.   It also says its like a 5U4G by the mfg.

there are in the classifieds some that were paired with the WA6 so i suppose it may be compatible with the SE too?

Aug 13, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #1,558 of 4,838

Well I have a Phillips Mini Watt GZ34, so it is compatible then.

there are in the classifieds some that were paired with the WA6 so i suppose it may be compatible with the SE too?

The WA6/66SE both use the same rectifier tubes…but the driver/power tubes are not all compatible between the two…or at least the 6SN7 isn't.

Aug 13, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #1,560 of 4,838
  well since it is a rectifier than it's compatible with the SE for sure, will probably get both that and the Mullard GZ32 / 5V4 branded CV593, hopefully will be worth trying both

I had a Mullard GZ32, and FWIW it had nice detail/separation but was a bit thin sounding.
I think I paid $75.00 U.S. for it, and it wasn't bad at all, especially for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back