Woo Audio WA6 vs Little Dot Mk VI
Oct 10, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #31 of 85
@ Audiogalore

So, in your opinion, the MKVI+ is a superior amp to the much more expensive WA6 SE?

Oct 10, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #32 of 85
Having listened to both of Audiogalore's amps I have to say that the little dot is far superior, but do not forget we are comparing balance to single ended. For some reason I think that the little dot will be better when used as single ended because of it's large amount of power.
Note they were both used from the same source when I have listened to them.

Oct 10, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #33 of 85

Quote:
@ Audiogalore

So, in your opinion, the MKVI+ is a superior amp to the much more expensive WA6 SE?

That is just the point as I previously stated "are we comparing Apples for Oranges" IMHO I think the comparison should have been the WA22 vs the Little Dot MK6.

Again I own both the WA-6SE and the Little Dot MK6  and have no links nor ties to neither industries.

I believe my source material is top notch Audiophile grade to each amp, I have a Mark Lenvinson 360s/37 combo and Logitech music server transporter playing chesky 96/24 source material recordings that uses a Synergistic Research D2 digital balanced cables shared output from my 360s DAC to a pair balanced and SE coaxial WireWorld Eclipse 6 to both amp inputs. Which lead me to believe I have pretty much maximized the potential out on both amps for this test.

Both WA22 and the Little Dot MK6 are better matched for this thread. They are also similar in regards of being true balanced designed. Differences being price and again the WA22 is transformer output coupled vs the OTL/OCL design of the Little Dot MK6.

I heard the WA22 at a show and I impressed to the sound signature which happen to had been one of the best sounding units at the meet that day. Unfortunately did not get a chance to listen to them with a K1000.

The question I have always asked, can the WA22 drive the K1000 successfully.

So to answer the quote I believe the sound signature of the Little Dot Mk6 is yes. I found the little Dot MK6 more detailed, wider sound staged, more accurate, controlled with information as to the music selection when it was naturally recorded than the WA-6SE.

Woo marketing philosophy was ready made when everybody especially the headfi cult want a industry that had ready answers to their headphone amp issues. Little Dot being foreign and across the pond in China lured in the back ground with the lesser desired earlier versions that truly did not compete at the same level with Jack's line up.

Both products are quite desirable and perception is only relevant to the listener.

Hope this respond again helps clarify any concerns or questions.

Enjoy music!

Oct 11, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #34 of 85
Excellent comments and reviews.  Very, very helpful.  Can I ask another question?  I have the Senn 650, an old Audio Technica ATH-7 (theoretically an electrostat, but they require direct connect to speaker outlets of a power amp anyway) and plan to purchase the Grado RS2 and the HE-6 (or 5, since I can't seem to find the 6). 

I also need a preamp output for some powered monitors in my study.  I have a balanced source (Ayre C5xe).  So I have been contemplating a Woo WA2.  Now I see this Little Dot (I am a long time audiophile, but new to headphone amps). 

So can someone tell me the difference between the Mk vi+ and the Mk vii?  I see that for the mk vii both headphone outputs are on the front, but the mk vi has the single ended on the back.

I see from their website the tubes used on the mk vii, but cannot find the list of tubes for the mk vi.  I would love to know:

1.  Will either amp work with the listed headphones (given their impedances and power needs)?
2.  Difference between the LD Mk vi and Mk vii, and tubes used on the mk vi.

Thanks!!!

Oct 11, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #35 of 85
The MKVII is a balanced solid state amp. The tubes for the MKVI are 6080 and 6H9C. I'll try to answer more later. Busy at work today.

Oct 11, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #36 of 85

Quote:
run the MkVI with black plate 6AS7G and they are slightly warm. 7236 will brighten things up in a nice way, making it a bit SS sounding and slammin'. Put 5998's instead and things get very lush. I rolled those three sets in the past.

Quote:
Excellent comments and reviews.  Very, very helpful.  Can I ask another question?  I have the Senn 650, an old Audio Technica ATH-7 (theoretically an electrostat, but they require direct connect to speaker outlets of a power amp anyway) and plan to purchase the Grado RS2 and the HE-6 (or 5, since I can't seem to find the 6). 

I also need a preamp output for some powered monitors in my study.  I have a balanced source (Ayre C5xe).  So I have been contemplating a Woo WA2.  Now I see this Little Dot (I am a long time audiophile, but new to headphone amps). 

So can someone tell me the difference between the Mk vi+ and the Mk vii?  I see that for the mk vii both headphone outputs are on the front, but the mk vi has the single ended on the back.

I see from their website the tubes used on the mk vii, but cannot find the list of tubes for the mk vi.  I would love to know:

1.  Will either amp work with the listed headphones (given their impedances and power needs)?
2.  Difference between the LD Mk vi and Mk vii, and tubes used on the mk vi.

Thanks!!!

Quote:
The MKVII is a balanced solid state amp. The tubes for the MKVI are 6080 and 6H9C. I'll try to answer more later. Busy at work today.

seldnr:

The question depends on the favor of sound that most suites you! The MK7 is solid state and the MK6 is tubes. Solid state is going to be more analytical and tubes are going to more warm.

As far as the amp for your liking of phones I know the MK 6 has enough power and will definitely drive them.

If you choose the Woo then the WA22 would be better matched to compliment your balanced source.

Hope this helps

Enjoy music!

Oct 11, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #37 of 85
Another quick note. The HE-6 is not yet released but it should be out within a month or so. This is why you can't find it.

By the way the ATH-7 is an electret not electrostatic. I've heard them and was impressed with their sound for the size and money.

Oct 11, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #38 of 85
All:

I am so sorry, but I gave the wrong model number (I think the famous movie line is "he's a nice guy, not a smart guy, but a nice guy")..  Instead of the Mk vii (7), I meant Mk viii (8) se, which I think may have solid state regulation, but certainly has tubes!  Sorry for the mistake and the trouble you took because of it!  Would you mind answering again regarding difference between Mk 6 and Mk 8?  Thanks again!!!

Oct 11, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #39 of 85
The MKVIII SE is kind of an enigma. It is approximately half the power of the MKVI at 1W @ 300ohms vs 2W for the MKVI. According to Little Dot it is supposed to be more refined. It uses different tubes in both locations and I'm not sure about availability of replacements or tube rolling options. The circuit is clearly based on the MKVI. Without having heard the MKVIII SE I would have to lean towards the extra $100 and lower power not being worth it.

Oct 11, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #40 of 85
I owned the MK VI, and kept it for over a year.  It is an amazing amplifier, worth every penny.  I would certainly recommend it as my #1 favorite amp in the $600 price range. 

I typically suggest the WA6 over the MK VI only because people who consider $600 amps are typically not in a position to budget for a balanced DAC and headphone retermination as well.  When you do, magic happens
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #41 of 85

Quote:
I owned the MK VI, and kept it for over a year.  It is an amazing amplifier, worth every penny.  I would certainly recommend it as my #1 favorite amp in the $600 price range. 

I typically suggest the WA6 over the MK VI only because people who consider $600 amps are typically not in a position to budget for a balanced DAC and headphone retermination as well.  When you do, magic happens
smily_headphones1.gif

Absolutely and well put El_ Doug. I Own a MK6 as previous mentioned and completely balanced most people when they hear it are amazed and when they hear the price want to hop on the van wagon. Shortly after they start crying the blues when they know they have to invest in a true balanced source to truly enjoy the amp.

However in your case seldnr you make mention that your source is already balanced correct? and if so then it is no brainier investing in a Little Dot mk6 at a price point or if you fancy Woo you will spend approx. three times the price for the WA22. Both are outstanding products.

Enjoy music!

Oct 11, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #42 of 85
Balanced sources don't have to be expensive. I bought my DACMagic for $400. Maybe a bit more than your typical mid-fi source, but not a whole lot more.

Edit: So I just looked up the Ayre C-5XE.. a $6000 source and we're looking at $600 amps? Uh..
blink.gif

http://www.stereophile.com/hirezplayers/705ayre/

Oct 11, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #43 of 85

Quote:
Balanced sources don't have to be expensive. I bought my DACMagic for $400. Maybe a bit more than your typical mid-fi source, but not a whole lot more.

Edit: So I just looked up the Ayre C-5XE.. a $6000 source and we're looking at $600 amps? Uh..
blink.gif

http://www.stereophile.com/hirezplayers/705ayre/

Maxvla:

Absolutely nothing wrong with that scenario, source is more important than amp. This will only make the sound signature better from already a fantastic sounding amp.

Also some tube rolling to settle the perfect sweet spot most certainly will allow information to be more detailed.

Oct 11, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #44 of 85
I agree that this amp is special, but if we're looking at a chain in that neighborhood, I would probably be looking upscale a bit, or perhaps a custom amp.

However, if this headphone thing is just a side affair, the MKVI+ will do a great job at or substantially above it's price point.

Oct 12, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #45 of 85
Speaking of balanced inputs to take advantages of the balanced sound, is the Little Dot DAC 1 pretty good, or the DAC Magic a better choice? The price range for new is different for them, but a second hand DAC magic could be an option?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back