Woo Audio WA6 vs Little Dot Mk VI
Oct 5, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #16 of 85
Try reading my post before you go on your holy crusade.

I never said the amp was bad, merely under performing for the money considering the competition. A balanced amp with more than double the power for the same money as a single ended amp? There's only so far you can go with the 'sound' argument. I don't have to hear either amp to know the Little Dot is the better value so long as both are well constructed and there are no audible flaws (buzzing, etc). Will the Little Dot sound better than the WA6? That is up to the end user, but to ignore the trove of extras you get for the same money would be unwise.

I should note that I don't make a habit of reading threads in the amp section because as I said, I'm perfectly happy with my amp. It is in threads other than these that I see the comments about the WA6 and SE. These, to me, are more telling because they are not in the amp section where everyone pushes their own agenda on the topic at hand.

My agenda in this post is to highlight the factual differences between the amps, make the OP aware of these and the associated costs, and let him decide with everything laid out for him. I have no allegiance to any certain company, but I will recognize a better value when I see one. I don't care which amp the OP buys so long as he is satisfied with the performance for the money. In my opinion the MKVI has a much higher chance to meet that satisfaction. Call me biased, or whatever you want, but the proof has already been posted.

Oct 5, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #17 of 85
I can't speak from experience, but the majority of posts I see in these amp forums rate the Woo's sound, the most important factor of an amp, ahead of the LD. I also see the Woo amplifiers being recommended at this price point much more than the little dot mk VI. I'm not saying the LDMKVI is bad either, just that the majority seem to be with the Woo. Technicalities are only part of what make an amp great
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #18 of 85
I don't really see the MKVI mentioned much at all, it must be happening in threads without it mentioned in the title. When I do see it mentioned by chance, most people didn't even know what it is. I think Little Dot lost a big portion of it's FOTM status (which went on for a couple years) lately and nobody stayed on to find out just what their higher end models can actually do. I compared my MKVI side by side with a B22/O22 using HD600, HD800, and K1000. I preferred, by slight margin, the MKVI on all 3 headphones. I was surprised, having expected to be blown away by the high end combo. The owner of the combo listened to his K1000 on my amp and said it sounded very good also. If the MKVI at $680 can keep up with a $2k+ B22/O22 setup, that's good enough for me.

I do wish I could hear a Woo amp sometime. Nobody has one at the Dallas meets, and I'm more than happy with mine so there's no reason to get a Woo.

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #20 of 85
Quote:
I compared my MKVI side by side with a B22/O22 using HD600, HD800, and K1000. I preferred, by slight margin, the MKVI on all 3 headphones.

well, Maxvla, that is good news indeed.
i just ordered a MKVI+, in black. 
unfortunately, china is on holiday until friday.  so production on my amp won't start until then...
as tom petty sang, "the waiting is the hardest part."

speaking of woo, i have a buddy (che15 on this forum) who has heard the MKVI side-by-side with the WA6 and WA6SE.  and with high impedance cans, there was no contest.  the MKVI "blew them away" he says.
(of course, it's OTL vs. transformer coupled, and balanced vs. single-ended, so it's not a fair contest, but...)

anyway, i ordered one. 
biggrin.gif

of course, for a short time i'll be using it single-ended.  until i can get my hands on a balanced source, and then reterminate my headphones.
right now, it's one step at a time for me.  that's the ony way it's going to happen...

cheers! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #22 of 85
@ Wuss

I picked my setup with DacMagic (slightly bright) and HD600 (slightly dark) and I believe the result is pretty even, so I would say the MKVI is either right on neutral or very slightly dark. The sheer power it puts through will make even the darker sounding headphones clear as day so you don't have to worry about lost detail. Hopefully that helps with your DAC selection.

@ Regal

Pardon my ignorance, but what does that mean?

Oct 6, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #24 of 85
The stock 6080 tubes and my current 'West Germany' 6AS7G tubes sound virtually identical. Perhaps these aren't high enough quality tubes to make the difference, but the amp remains in great form.

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #25 of 85
Hey TheWuss,

Make sure you give us your impressions of the Mk VI when it arrives!

I am thinking of pairing it with a AKG701 balanced, and I've noticed you got the 702 so that will be pretty close.

Oct 7, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #26 of 85
had owned mk3, cant say anything wrong with the amp just good enough to keep me enjoy in the music. compared to the later purchased wa2 wound't say its a big step up. the build quality woo is much better with no doubts,  but the price is much higher too. going for either of them won't be wrong but I will give mk6 a try for its balance function.

Oct 7, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #27 of 85

Quote:
I don't really see the MKVI mentioned much at all, it must be happening in threads without it mentioned in the title. When I do see it mentioned by chance, most people didn't even know what it is. I think Little Dot lost a big portion of it's FOTM status (which went on for a couple years) lately and nobody stayed on to find out just what their higher end models can actually do. I compared my MKVI side by side with a B22/O22 using HD600, HD800, and K1000. I preferred, by slight margin, the MKVI on all 3 headphones. I was surprised, having expected to be blown away by the high end combo. The owner of the combo listened to his K1000 on my amp and said it sounded very good also. If the MKVI at $680 can keep up with a $2k+ B22/O22 setup, that's good enough for me.

I do wish I could hear a Woo amp sometime. Nobody has one at the Dallas meets, and I'm more than happy with mine so there's no reason to get a Woo.

I plan on picking up the WA6 SE with PP package some point in the near future and I live in Dallas/Houston, you'll be able to hear it once I get mine
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #28 of 85

Quote:

I really do plan to make it up there next January, so you'll be able to try mine. Still no reason to trade amps, but at least you can see if you like it. I'd like to hear the LD also.

Oct 7, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #29 of 85
Yeah. Should be interesting. If I still have the amp then we can put them side by side. I only mention my possibly not having the amp because I'll be buying/auditioning the new HE-6 which might run better off my speaker amp.

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #30 of 85
I have been reading and following this thread and have decided to step forward and comment. 1st are we comparing apples for oranges and really think that might be the case. As a owner of the two products my review will only base fact findings on my present setup with both.

The Woo WA-6SE is a single ended design that is transformer coupled and is a two piece unit that has a amp and power supply chassis that are separate and communicate via by a umbilical DC cord.
The design uses a 5U4G tube to rectify DC power to the amp. putting out 1 watt. with point to point wiring preferred by the designer as choice.

The Little Dot MK6 is a Balanced design that is a OTL/OCL,  also offering single ended in/outputs on the later version 6+. This unit has both amp/power supply on a single chassis and is and has a solid state rectifier to power the amp. putting out 5watts/120ohms and targeting it design to compliment the hard to drive K1000. The circuit hardware is printed circuit board preferred by the designer as choice.

Benefit of Little Dot MK6:
Being OTL/OCL eliminates induced noise from the winding of the output transformer coupled with a straight path to the headphone transducer and more straight wire topology less chance of circuit hum.

Balanced will allow one to experience with source/headphone that are also trued balanced as follow:

1) Separate ground left/right ground and a true Balanced topology design will also have separate amp/circuit throughout.

1) Less floor noise.

2) 6db gain increase.

3) True balanced left/right configuration theoretically provide more information and music recording accuracy.

Con:
Theoretically being OTL/OCL should not drive low impedance phones with authority which creates to much voltage swing on the driver tubes and causing distortion with less control. So again really only good for high impedance phones.

Benefits of the WA-6SE:

Being transformer coupled drives phones from 8-600 ohms.

Con:

Transformer coupled output, is another noise producer and some derogation could theoretically be induced. Being singled ended shares common ground for left/right single amp circuit.

Setup:

I have headphones ranging from 25-600 ohms.

I found the Little Dot defies the law of physics and drives with authority all my headphones with no strain. I usually listen at 9-10 position and 11-12 position with my K1000 in high gain switched on.

My tube selection are the black plate 4-RCA 6AS7G power and 2-Tung sol 6SL7 driver and found these after careful consideration rolling tubes to be the best combo.

I found the WA-6SE to drive both LO/HI impedance phones, better with LO than HI.

My tube selection is the Sophia 274b power and 2-Sylvana 6EW7 driver and found these after careful consideration rolling tubes to be a match. I have on order a EML 5U4G.

Listening test:

The Little Dot MK6 had more control and detail with more information throughout the music presentation. The sound stage was wider and deeper and had more authority.

I must conclude to say I have no ties to neither industry, I truly with passion love this hobby and only want to share my personal views.

Hopefully this helps clearing up some thoughts and ideas about the two which are both great products.

Enjoy music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back