Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Mar 9, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #586 of 2,692
Next up the Raytheon. First thing that struck me with these tubes was the bass. Very powerful. Maybe not as refined as the other tubes, but very happy to have these in my toolkit.

The Raytheon tubes are the ones doubled up using adapter on each driver tube spot? Where do you get an adapter like that? And what is the #/model name of this tube?

I recently got a WA22 w/complete NOS tube set, but only now, after the fact, starting to learn about other possibilities. So your posts are intriguing, to say the least!

Mar 9, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #587 of 2,692
The Raytheon tubes are the ones doubled up using adapter on each driver tube spot? Where do you get an adapter like that? And what is the #/model name of this tube?

I recently got a WA22 w/complete NOS tube set, but only now, after the fact, starting to learn about other possibilities. So your posts are intriguing, to say the least!
The adapter can be obtained from east bay.

This is just for fun. The nice NOS EU tubes of this kind are no longer cheap.

You should try the "traditional tubes" before getting these.

PS I learned you like SS for your LCD-3F too. Is that true?

Mar 9, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #588 of 2,692
Thanks for your advice. It sounds pretty rationale/reasonable to me...

I had a pre-fazor LCD-3...an old model w/the lower impedance (they upped it in later models). This was months before I got the WA22. That was a lovely headphone and it sounded pretty amazing on the V281.

Too bad I can't hear it on the WA22...that probably would be off the charts sound.

Mar 9, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #589 of 2,692
Thanks for your advice. It sounds pretty rationale/reasonable to me...

I had a pre-fazor LCD-3...an old model w/the lower impedance (they upped it in later models). This was months before I got the WA22. That was a lovely headphone and it sounded pretty amazing on the V281.

Too bad I can't hear it on the WA22...that probably would be off the charts sound.

Both @leftside and myself had used the LCD-3F with the WA22.

I am using clear-top 5998/WE 421A as power tube.

Mar 9, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #590 of 2,692

Raytheon 6J5. Doubled up using one of these adapters:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6J5-6J5-...Amplifier-Convert-Socket-Adapter/312213040699

Honestly, these tubes sound great. I prefer them over most 6SN7's.

Mar 9, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #591 of 2,692
The adapter can be obtained from east bay.

This is just for fun. The nice NOS EU tubes of this kind are no longer cheap.

You should try the "traditional tubes" before getting these.
Not just for fun :) Now you have the chance of using GEC driver tubes in the WA22 for much cheaper than the B65.

Mar 9, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #592 of 2,692
Both @leftside and myself had used the LCD-3F with the WA22.

I am using clear-top 5998/WE 421A as power tube.
Yes sounds great in the WA22 with those power tubes. The LCD-3 definitely appreciates the extra gain of the 5998 tubes.

Mar 9, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #594 of 2,692
Here's the WA22 with a quad of RCA 76 tubes. Straight away I noticed slightly more warmth with these tubes, but unfortunately for us LCD owners they are lacking a little power. I'll try with the Focal Stellia next week.

RCA 2-2016x1512.JPG
RCA-1823x1219.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #595 of 2,692
165577_full.jpg

I only use 6F8g type. Love them. Actually using TS roundplate 6C8g. I have 32 (16 sets) of them and none are noisy. I've rolled all of them once to make sure.

You have to keep those wires away from other tubes. On these adapters the wires go out the back away from all other tubes. On your pic that right hand driver tube wire looks close to the power tube. You can push those wires into the body a bit.

I noticed your amp is on in the picture without HP's plugged in. No load. Is it being used as a pre-amp? Does using as a pre-amp count as a load?

I've enjoyed your past posts as I work my way through this very helpful thread. Picked up a very new/barely used WA22 a couple weeks ago, still burning that in. It has all NOS tubes the 1st owner put in.

I'm heartened to see a post about 6C8Gs. I'm running an inexpensive pair of them (RCA JAN 6C8G) w/Woo adapters. The look is killer, if I may get all shallow for a moment.

The sound of this amp is quite a gut-punch to me, as w/one exception (WA3 for high impedance HPs), I've used only SS amp/preamps IMS. This sound is quite lovely to me--biggest/best midrange I've heard since my big/bad 2-channel days (all tube then).

I'm sure the present NOS rectifier (Mullard CV593) can be improved upon. Have my eye of a Mullard/Blackburn GZ34. My objective is to bring the bass up a little bit. It's all there, just not quite at the level of the mids.

Mar 13, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #598 of 2,692
Here are some tubes with a nice glow. WE422A, GEC 6J5, GEC 6AS7G:

IMG_3145-1146x853.jpg

WE422A, GEC 6J5, WE421A:

IMG_3147-1101x815.jpg

I'll have to dig up some driver tubes with a nice glow as well for the complete "glow look".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back