1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by leftside, Nov 20, 2016.
First

Back
31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51
Next

Last
  1. leftside
    National Union 7193. $6 each. The adapters are more expensive than the tubes. Lack a little depth that the tubes costing 10* or more cost, but surprisingly good for such cheap tubes.

2. Joao Paulo Martins
    Here I compared the Quad 6BL7 vs 5998 and I get a better feel about them. Less microphonic, not a fat bass(which in some cases I love it), and more power.

3. Pharmaboy
    That's beautiful. Like a rocket ship mfr'd in 1911.

But a question about those 2-on-1 adapters: can you adjust the angle of each adapter, relative to the body of the amp? (ie, turn entire adapter slightly--while plugged in--so as to avoid another tube, avoid touching transformer, etc)?

4. Joao Paulo Martins
    Yes, its possible. They have a long wire conecting the tube pin to the socket pin that goes in the amp. You have a limit to rotate, the ideal its just fine adjustments.

5. leftside
    I thought about putting in the 4 6BL7's with adapters as well (great power tubes for the Woo), but things started to get a little cramped.

6. Joao Paulo Martins
    All the combo gets about 160, 70 for the quad and 50 for the adapters, and shipping. But I live in brazil so it almost doubled up to get in my hands

7. leftside
    Had some fun tonight rolling power tubes. With the LCD-3 and especially LCD-4 you are kind of limited to the higher gain power tubes such as 6BL7 and TS 5998. But, I picked up a demo Focal Stellia from some friends of mine yesterday, and now I can enjoy the "regular" 6080/6AS7G. Don't really have too much to add to say about these tubes that hasn't already been said, apart from the Bendix JAN-CEA 6080WB with pair of top halo getters always sounded a bit lightweight with my LCD-3. Not so with the higher sensitivity Stellia. The GEC 6080 I'd put on the same level as the Bendix, and the GEC 6AS7G have all that the other two tubes have, plus slightly better defined and stronger bass.

The only slight problem with higher sensitivity headphones is they are more susceptible to tube noise. Nothing that impacts the music whilst playing, but they might not be suitable for people who look for the blackest of blackest backgrounds from tube amps. Otherwise, the Stellia are truly fabulous and suit my needs perfectly. They are a great match for the WA22.

IMG_3151-741x741.JPG

Slerpy likes this.
  8. Pharmaboy
    "Tubes on the floor! OCD ALERT!"

(kidding)

But it is kinda freaky to see all that fragile/beautiful glass on a hardwood floor...

9. leftside
    Don't worry - they are all packed away nicely in the cabinet now :) Better than putting warm tubes on the carpet...

10. Pharmaboy
    well, as they ought to say (but don't), "Warm tubes mean a warm heart."

Speaking of warm tubes: new/old 1959 Mullard Blackburn GZ34 5AR4 (fat base) is on the way. Also a cherry pair of matched NOS 6BL7GTAs (thanks to advice from @paulomario77). Hope all 3 will be in by the weekend.

Just finished burning in my WA22. It has all NOS tubes (stock tubes are still in the shipping box). I bought these NOS tubes w/the amp, but in the 1-2 weeks I've had it, have learned quite a bit about even better NOS tubes for this great sounding amp. Nice to be able to upgrade w/o buying/selling actual amps, just tubes.

Joao Paulo Martins likes this.
  11. leftside
    Post pics when they arrive and are installed. Are you going to run 2 6BL7GTAs or 4? Really, you don't need to power tube roll like I have. You could simply use 2 or 4 6BL7's and be set.

What about drivers? So many choices there...

12. Joao Paulo Martins
    Get the same advice from him, you will not regret.

13. Joao Paulo Martins
    I know you dont ask for me, but here I use ECC35

14. leftside
    Top tier tubes. Amongst my favorites for sure. Very good with lower sensitivity planars like the LCD-3 that appreciate the extra gain.

15. Joao Paulo Martins
    I have a pair of 6SL7GT too. But the 35s is a perfect pair.

Seems like if you have a WA22 you get a LCD3 too ? I own one, they are fantastic. Auteur is coming. Think they will be a complement pair of cans.

First

Back
31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51
Next

Last