Woo Audio 6-SE. Overkill for K701s?
Mar 23, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #16 of 42
@ braswell

The WA6-SE we heard together at the meet was the stock version.  There are $800+ worth of upgrades we didn't hear on that amp - I'm sure it's a much more of a contender in it's maxxed configuration.  On the whole I do agree with you though, the RWA Isabellina and WA22 are more detailed than the WA6-SE.  They have a more SS sound, while retaining tube strengths.  Honestly though, I liked the K701s more through the WA6SE than the high ends.  The extremely sweet, romantic sound of the Woo compliments the 701s perfectly.  

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #17 of 42

Quote:
@ braswell

The WA6-SE we heard together at the meet was the stock version.  There are $800+ worth of upgrades we didn't hear on that amp - I'm sure it's a much more of a contender in it's maxxed configuration.  On the whole I do agree with you though, the RWA Isabellina and WA22 are more detailed than the WA6-SE.  They have a more SS sound, while retaining tube strengths.  Honestly though, I liked the K701s more through the WA6SE than the high ends.  The extremely sweet, romantic sound of the Woo compliments the 701s perfectly.  

Strange that you consider the Woo22 as more SS. According to Woo the W22 is more euphoric and tube like (stock vs stock)
I have the Woo6se and can't believe anyone listening to it blind would guess that it was a tube amp. Sounds very SS to my in fact me Audio-gd Roc probably sound faintly more tubey.

Mar 24, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #18 of 42

Quote:
@ braswell

Well I'm obviously not talking about it with upgrades. The WA22 was also stock with the exception of the rectifier. There was a big difference stock vs stock.

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #19 of 42
Quote:
Strange that you consider the Woo22 as more SS. According to Woo the W22 is more euphoric and tube like (stock vs stock)
I have the Woo6se and can't believe anyone listening to it blind would guess that it was a tube amp. Sounds very SS to my in fact me Audio-gd Roc probably sound faintly more tubey.

I think the W22 is able to resolve more detail - I think Jack Woo said as much during the meet too.  The 6SE (in comparison) sounded more sweet and lush, to me.

Quote:
Well I'm obviously not talking about it with upgrades. The WA22 was also stock with the exception of the rectifier. There was a big difference stock vs stock.

Big difference definitely stock vs. stock.

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:Originally Posted by sphinxvc 

"Anyone know how the 6SE stacks up against the Chinese makers?  Dark Voice and Little Dot?  Have any of you Woo owners had any time with the DV or LDs?"

I had the Little Dot MKIII and it's a pretty nice amp...for it's price. There is no comparison between the two though. I had some great Mullard tubes with the Little Dot and it still couldn't compete with a bone stock WA6SE. Roll some sweet tubes with the Woo and the gap is even further away.

EDIT: remember that the Woo is 4-5x the price of the Little Dot. If price is a consideration, the MKIII is a great deal. If pricing isn't as much of a concern, the Woo is better.

Mar 24, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #22 of 42
There is no such thing as overkill for a better amp no matter regardless of what phones you are using.
An amp's quality or inferiority or lack of synergy with some particular phones is critically important and easily heard.
Just like in speaker-based systems, a $20,000 speaker amp (like from Dartzeel or Audio Research) will do wonders for pair of $1000 speakers,
and is not necessarily an inappropriate match if you like the speakers.

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #23 of 42
Quote:Originally Posted by rgs9200m 

"There is no such thing as overkill for a better amp no matter regardless of what phones you are using.An amp's quality or inferiority or lack of synergy with some particular phones is critically important and easily heard.Just like in speaker-based systems, a $20,000 speaker amp (like from Dartzeel or Audio Research) will do wonders for pair of $1000 speakers,and is not necessarily an inappropriate match if you like the speakers."

I suppose it's subjective. For me, I'd prefer a more balanced setup. Although price is no guaranty of quality, it offers a rough guide. If I had a pair of $20k speakers, I know I'd want an amp that was capable of showing off that speaker's full potential. The chances are great that a $1k amp won't do that. To me, reverse would be true if it were a $20k amp and $1k speakers.

I think it's the same with headphones and headamps. I wouldn't but a $1k+ amp for an under $200 headphone. I don't think the headphone would show off all of the amp's potential. YMMV

Mar 24, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

"There is no such thing as overkill for a better amp no matter regardless of what phones you are using.An amp's quality or inferiority or lack of synergy with some particular phones is critically important and easily heard.Just like in speaker-based systems, a $20,000 speaker amp (like from Dartzeel or Audio Research) will do wonders for pair of $1000 speakers,and is not necessarily an inappropriate match if you like the speakers."

I suppose it's subjective. For me, I'd prefer a more balanced setup. Although price is no guaranty of quality, it offers a rough guide. If I had a pair of $20k speakers, I know I'd want an amp that was capable of showing off that speaker's full potential. The chances are great that a $1k amp won't do that. To me, reverse would be true if it were a $20k amp and $1k speakers.

I think it's the same with headphones and headamps. I wouldn't buy a $1k+ amp for an under $200 headphone. I don't think the headphone would show off all of the amp's potential. YMMV

I suppose you're right.  The WA6-SE was the first all-tube amplifier I'd heard and I'm starting to suspect that it's tube-sound I ought to be chasing, rather than the WA6-SE specifically.  

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #25 of 42

I'm now also considering the Woo 6 and the Ming Da MC 84 C07 to keep my venture into tubes a bit more modest.  The Woo 6 is transformer coupled and I've heard this is good for low-impedance phones like the K701s.  

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #26 of 42
Quote:Originally Posted by sphinxvc 

Quote:
"I suppose you're right.  The WA6-SE was the first all-tube amplifier I'd heard and I'm starting to suspect that it's tube-sound I ought to be chasing, rather than the WA6-SE specifically."

I have little doubt that you'll be extremely satisfied with the WA6. The secret is in the tube combos that make a good deal of the magic. You're wallet will thank you too. LoL

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #27 of 42

Quote:

I think it's the same with headphones and headamps. I wouldn't but a $1k+ amp for an under $200 headphone. I don't think the headphone would show off all of the amp's potential. YMMV

So if we were to be looking at even more expensive amps, like wa22 at $1900..or wa5le $2500, we should be looking to buy $ 2000-3000 headphones? Do they even make headphones that expensive? I don't know if I understand this logic..

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #28 of 42
Quote:
So if we were to be looking at even more expensive amps, like wa22 at $1900..or wa5le $2500, we should be looking to buy $ 2000-3000 headphones? Do they even make headphones that expensive? I don't know if I understand this logic..

I agree, I think you missed the point.

Edit: It has something to do with the fact that I'll be compromising my source drastically if I go for the WA6-SE.

v

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #29 of 42
L3000.gif
 is there a rule that says we should only use headphones that are more than $200 dolars for amps that are cost $1000+ dolars? 701 is a great headphone, it just happens to be $300 bucks.

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #30 of 42
OK guys.  I've narrowed it down to these two set-ups.  

1. Macbook → Audio-GD NFB-3 → Ming Da MC 84 C07 w/ upgraded tubes → K701s

2. Off-the-shelf CD player or el-cheapo DAC for now → Woo Audio 6-SE w/ 6DE7 tubes → K701s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back