Woo Audio 6-SE. Overkill for K701s?
Mar 21, 2011 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

sphinxvc

Headphoneus Supremus
I heard this pairing at a recent Head-fi meet and came away feeling very good.  I found excellent synergy.  If I go for the Woo 6-SE I will probably have to sacrifice my source for the time being and go for something like an NFB-12.

So is it overkill?

Mar 21, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 42
I wouldn't say that it was overkill by any means.  Indeed it sounds like you've found a match to your liking.  But tough to have to give up your source!  Maybe you could just hold off a while and save up... although I know that can be challenging!

Good luck!

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #3 of 42
One of the best phones at its price & one of the best amps you can buy without paying silly money makes a very good combination.
The Woo will also drive better phones very easily. Love mine with LCD-2's and T1's.

Mar 21, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #5 of 42
No reason it won't run them fine. Low impedance phones are no problem for the Woo.
Never heard the SA5000's myself but if you liked the K701's the SA5000's should sound good. Can always tube roll to find the sound you want.

Mar 21, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 42

Quote:
One of the best phones at its price & one of the best amps you can buy without paying silly money makes a very good combination.
The Woo will also drive better phones very easily. Love mine with LCD-2's and T1's.

I agree 100% unless your number one (or only) priority is bass.  I really love them, but do get both right and left wired seperately or get the 702s, which come that way.

Mar 21, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #8 of 42
@nigeljames

You're right, excellent value in this amp, especially if I decide to move on up to the HD800s in the future.

@baka1969

From all I've read, the WA6-SE is worth the extra cost, especially considering that I may have a chance at one used.  Are you saying this because I'd have to compromise my source?

@Frihed89
I'm satisfied with the bass from the K701s.  I would be happier with the HD800's in that department but $230 vs $1400 
confused.gif
.  Not just yet.  Why do you advise having them rewired?  I've never heard this.

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #10 of 42
Quote:Originally Posted by sphinxvc 

"@nigeljames
You're right, excellent value in this amp, especially if I decide to move on up to the HD800s in the future.
@baka1969
From all I've read, the WA6-SE is worth the extra cost, especially considering that I may have a chance at one used.  Are you saying this because I'd have to compromise my source?
@Frihed89I'm satisfied with the bass from the K701s.  I would be happier with the HD800's in that department but $230 vs $1400 .  Not just yet.  Why do you advise having them rewired?  I've never heard this."

I only mentioned the WA6 as an alternative so you'd have money to put towards the source as you stated. It would balance out the system and get the most from everything. I love the WA6SE. I do think it works in tandem with the rest of my setup. It's just an idea and you'd still have a great amp to boot.

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 42
Thanks all.  Sent an email over to Jack and he said I can expect less speed, dynamic response and soundstage from the WA6.  I don't want to give up the synergy I'd heard so I'm targeting the WA6-SE for now.  The source upgrade will have to wait.

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #12 of 42
Quote:Originally Posted by sphinxvc 

"Thanks all.  Sent an email over to Jack and he said I can expect less speed, dynamic response and soundstage from the WA6.  I don't want to give up the synergy I'd heard so I'm targeting the WA6-SE for now.  The source upgrade will have to wait."

Let the tube rolling begin! :). So far my favorite combo is the GE 6DR7 with the Sylvania 5U4G. Good luck and enjoy.

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #13 of 42
The AKG k701 is one of greatest headphones IMO and in the league of true audiophile headphone in the big league. In that regard, if the K701 suites your taste, then a high quality amp is to match.

Also, the Woo 6 SE is one of the best amps I've heard. In comparison to other high end amps that's usually found at the meets, it is in the same league IMO. It is very musical and super sweet with a big sound. The Woo 6 SE is one of the best out there.

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #14 of 42

Quote:
I agree 100% unless your number one (or only) priority is bass.  I really love them, but do get both right and left wired seperately or get the 702s, which come that way.

Did they change the wiring? The headband wires send the signal to the right side I thought.

The SE is worth the investment and that is the level needed to show what the 701s can do. Better components make a difference.

Mar 23, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #15 of 42

Quote:
The AKG k701 is one of greatest headphones IMO and in the league of true audiophile headphone in the big league. In that regard, if the K701 suites your taste, then a high quality amp is to match.

Also, the Woo 6 SE is one of the best amps I've heard. In comparison to other high end amps that's usually found at the meets, it is in the same league IMO. It is very musical and super sweet with a big sound. The Woo 6 SE is one of the best out there.

I agree, for the money it is SUPERB amp, probably best in its price range. However you can't really compare it to really high-end amps. The difference between the WA22 and WA6SE is night and day. Listen to a few balanced tube amps or balanced solid state amps such as the Red Wine Isabellina through a balanced can and you will see it's shortcomings. But they cost 3 -4 times as much 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back