Will my Quest for good headphones ever end?
Feb 12, 2010 at 11:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

deadpool86

Head-Fier
Well, ive had a long and hard journey this entire past year. Last April I started my quest to find headphones that make me happy.I went to best buy and demoed a nice set of sennheisers, i never knew such sounds existed. Prior to this i used stock buds and cheap sony behind the necks. Ao i decided to invest and have a budget of around $150. My very first set was the Audio Technica ES7. After getting them I was moderately happy, but they were so uncomfortable I returned them within a week. The sound quality was "meh" to me

Next was the monster turbines, I figured an expensive set of inner ear would be nice and more to my liking, that IN YOUR FACE sound. They are not bad at all, close to that loudness and position i enjoy...but again, damned uncomfortable, they hurt my ears a lot. Sold them for half the price I paid since they are worthless anyway compared to other models.

next up was the Sennheiser 485. I fell in love, so comfy, deep bass but a bit muddy. Detaching cord was just great since I had a nice quality 3ft cable that fit it perfectly. ( later on, in recent months I decided to get the newer 595 and compare)

Next was the Shure 440. Immediately I thought the bass was awesome, but these are just as uncomfy as the es7s. They are crazy heavy too and get hot within 20 seconds. But the sound is fantastic! Not as good as the 485s, but still not bad for closed back. I returned them, they did not make me happy as I am looking for a pair to use all day long. I also tested the 840s, they were excellent as well but i decided against them because the D1k caught my eye

Next was the DenonD1001. It fit the bill for everything I needed and wanted. However its sound was once again not to my liking. With with loseless FLAC and nicely amped, it was just lacking. I like my music to make my jaw drop. This was far from it.

Next up was the Yuin Pk3. I loved the small form factor, fit my ears nicely. They are incredibly overhyped. Sorry, but the bose set is nicer than these and people say they are the best for under 100$. This simply is not true. They are nice, but not that nice. I still have them, as ive yet to find a nicer set with such a great fit to my ears, i like how small they are.

Around this time I stumbled across the Insignia HD radio since all my stations are going HD, and there are no radios to even listen to it. Needless to say the radio fails, but the stock buds are amazing and sound just like the Monster Turbines that cost $150 at the time. I still have them and use them, they are great. The bass on them is just awesome.

Next was the Shure 750DJ. I figured the 440 sounded great, these should sound nicer and be more comfortable. I was right, they sounded just like the D1ks i had before, just bigger and less comfy. The bass was more powerful, but everything else seemed near identical. I sold them off a few weeks ago

Next was the Sennheiser HD 595 used and fully burnt in. I want to say, they are abysmal and ive never been more let down. Before you get mad and yell, Let me explain. I compared them side by side with the 485s since my first thoughts were " What the hell, they sound just like the 485s except the soundstage is noticeably wider and more dynamic. But the overall quality of my music is certainly not worth 4x the price of the 485...."
That doesnt mean THEY SUCK because they sound great through my Berhinger powerplay 4700 amp. It just means for the price, they are not a bargain...even at the used price of $120. I'd rather use the old 485s knowing they cost $70, over $120 used set of 595s, and New upwards of $180

Am I so unhappy because I am just that picky? I've never tried any grado headphones, I'd like to though. Was i not choosing the best sets for my budget? This quest has taken almost a full year and I am still not happy. I am debating on selling my HD595 because I feel i overpaid HEAVILY on them.
I am also debating on selling my Pk3s, but I cant seem to find any small form factor buds of that style that are not INNER EAR buds.

i feel i am destined to walk this earth alone and without headphones that make me happy

*sticks thumb out and plays Hulk ending music

Feb 12, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 74
wink.gif

No

Feb 12, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #3 of 74
It will, eventually!
But be prepared to go through several pairs before you find the one.
tongue.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #5 of 74
That's one hell of a lot of "mistakes" to make in one year
floatsmile.png

I would refrain from buying anymore for now.

I take it you obviously have learned a bit about what you like/want from a headphone from those purchased.

Take the next few weeks/months to crawl over the abundance of impressions and information here on head-fi and try and get to a meet before you buy anymore.

Feb 12, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #6 of 74
I think you are right Ramjaxed. I enjoy a bright set. It's like every single set i get is dull, dark and colored. I want that guitar screaming in my ear, I want to hear Guthrie Govan and Marco Sfogli inside my head :p Not a distance away. I want it to sound like buds do. They always sound like widescreen ( audio version of video widescreen ) at a distance. Noticeably "out there"

I hear ultrasones are brightly sounding. I'm going to stick with the Pk3s for now. I am just terribly unsatisfied. It's like when I listen to myself and not others, I get closer to what I want. People recommended the 595 here saying it was holy crap better than the 485, and 555..."unfair to compare" Well sorry, Ive compared them heavily over the past week or so, they are incredibly similar. I wont be buying another full sized can until I can afford something insanely expensive and awesome.

ill have to suffer for a long time :[

Feb 12, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #8 of 74
aaah my story is almost the same.I took a different path though.

SJ5->M750-> ->HD555->SRH440->and now which AKG?

The space after the first two hp's is when i started trying IEM's and luckily, i discovered the RE0's.
biggrin.gif

Still in search of that one headphone.Planning to go the AKG way now.
k701smile.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #9 of 74
you should definitely try Ultrasone's models, try, not buy. Just really do try a lot before you buy. I went to a headphone store and sat around for 3 hours......I found the one!

Feb 12, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #10 of 74
I didnt include the massive list of buds and behind the necks that I also have been through, ill list everything ive tried that i can remember

Jbuds
Senn CX300
every freaking brand of Sony buds under $50
senn hd 280 pro
Zune Hd buds
Senn pmx100/200 *very impressive line up
bose triports
monster beats studio

i didnt mention these because all of them except the pmx 100 and 200 are fail. The Senn pmx100 and 200 were awesome, just not to my liking. the 100 sounds freaking awesome, and i got it for like $20.00

but ya, all the others are fail and a half. The monster Beats being the most fail.

Feb 12, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #12 of 74
with the exception of my Grado's... there is something I like about all my headphones so it makes it hard to get rid of any of them. I do not think there is a "perfect" headphone. And that is why I like this hobby, I get to keep trying new ones to see which amp and music pairs with them etc.

I also have found that what sounds awesome to me might sound like crap to another person. Do that makes a quest to find the "one" even harder.

Feb 12, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #13 of 74
Mine continued until the HD800/T1/RS1i came into my life...now I'm just sitting back enjoying the music...for now (D'oh)
wink_face.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #14 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadpool86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you are right Ramjaxed. I enjoy a bright set. It's like every single set i get is dull, dark and colored. I want that guitar screaming in my ear, I want to hear Guthrie Govan and Marco Sfogli inside my head :p Not a distance away. I want it to sound like buds do. They always sound like widescreen ( audio version of video widescreen ) at a distance. Noticeably "out there"
:[

Woah, you need a Grado like yesterday.

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #15 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine continued until the HD800/T1/RS1i came into my life...now I'm just sitting back enjoying the music...for now (D'oh)
wink_face.gif

I bet it won´t last forever... But nice now I have another I am done benchmark... I am going to make sure I don´t fall for upgraditis before you do at the very least
biggrin.gif

Will probably upgrade my goldpoint to V5 that doesn´t count!

I personally don´t think the one that feel hit by the OP will ever be cured from upgraditis. But you may learn to control it and it´s easier the more experience you have with as expensive equipment as possible. Weither they impress on you or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back