Will my Quest for good headphones ever end?
Feb 12, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #31 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by tisb0b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The OP seems to be enjoying his tour around the low end headphones when the problem could easily be solved if he threw more money at it.

I agree totally, in the OP's situation if you add up all the "mediocre" cans purchased the OP could easily have been satisfied by a single pair for the same money; I can relate. It s fun to explore and learn but ultimately less expensive to "start at the top"
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #33 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or DIY and make your own ideal phones
biggrin.gif

that's always fun to do... but takes a lot of time.

Nowadays i really try to get the best phones money can buy, each with a special feature not found in other phones.

For example, a pfr-v1 would be a great buy, as you will not get something with nearly that amount of soundstage (except a k1000 but i'm not shelling out that much).

next on my list are probably the mdr-sa5000 for being so incredibly fast.

I'll probably get a AKG k702 after testing and perhaps an audiotechnica esw9 for portable usage.

each phone brings something different to the table, so it won't really be a loss off money

Feb 12, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #34 of 74
Try some high end Grado's or Ultrasone's. I think that would lead you into the right direction. So whatyou are looking for is an in your face sound, great bass (quantity or quality?), prominent mids but also sounds bright. This definately sounds like Grado's
biggrin.gif
. SR-325is, RS-1 and HF-2 may fit your bill, depends how much you want to spend. If comfort is an issue, there are always mods. Like the C-Pads and jumbo pads, which can sound great if modded correctly.

Feb 12, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #35 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by tisb0b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The OP seems to be enjoying his tour around the low end headphones when the problem could easily be solved if he threw more money at it.

I think that is correct. I thought like that and went to the HD650 only amped with the headphonia lyrix USB/DAC and at first I wasnt impressed, but after burn iin i just felt in love with them. I sold them to check differtent things and after having tried many, I just want my hd650 back!!! I sold them because i had pretty much spent more than my "budget" for equipment. I am now recouping and will definitely get the HD650 and some nice solid state amp...and maybe the HD600 too because they apparently sound like I wanted the hd650 to sound at the beginning :s.

OP, i think you might never find them!!! (the ones!)

Feb 13, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #37 of 74
Do some research before buying.
Like what I've done. I am very happy and contented with my Grado SR60(unamped) and my new AKG K701(amped definitely).
These are one of my best for my money purchases in the audio world.

Plus if you can follow this simple rule(from my own point of view), you might be satisfied with your money and headphone.
Audio Nirvana=Buying what you need and not what you want headphone.

Feb 13, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #38 of 74
The OP is stuck in mid-fi hell. The low-end headphones tend to be excellent values, however, the next "step" up is never worth it. It's a collection of mediocre headphones that satisfies no one in particular. They're not much better than ghe entry level cans and aren't anywhere as good as the low end of the "good" headphones, like the HD-600 and DT880.

I'd recommend offloading that collection and buying something good.

Feb 13, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #39 of 74
Yeah, uhh, I've never heard any sennheisers, 600.650 and 800 included that sound that bright, that "in your head and FACE" type sound as good inner ears produce. I don't think they exist. If they do they are more expensive than my car

Feb 13, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #40 of 74
I dodged this bullet. I know my personality, which is obsessive, and would easily be in the same boat as you in search of the perfect sound, flipping amps and headphones until my wallet bled.

Instead, I dusted off my old ADC 20 band analog EQ and was able to find absolute sonic bliss with the gear I had. In my current set-up I run the EQ almost flat with just a couple db tweak on the bass end to get the K701's really rounded. I can't tell you how much this EQ has saved my sanity.
k701smile.gif

I get the sense reading this forum that EQ's are cheating, and most audiophiles will turn their nose up at the idea of adding colour to their music, but for me, it works, and I'm beyond happy with my set-up.

It might be an idea for you to try a second hand EQ and find the sound you are looking for. It will help you identify the sound signature that feels right to you, an dthen focus on finding a headphone that fits that.

Just my 2c from a guy that saved a ton of time, money and aggrevation by using an EQ.

Feb 13, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #41 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadpool86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comfort is absolutely vital, id be using it all day long, many hours a day, every day. Grado come with a massive cord, that is incredibly annoying. Grado are not monitors, they shouldnt have a 10 foot cord lol >:[

and they look dreadfully stiff and uncomfortable. If i cant wear them all day long without really feeling them, i am not interested.

I believe I am vastly too picky. I want good bass, clear bright sounding highs and mids that do not sound distant ( i want bud sound in a full sized set ) or a pair of buds that are like the yuin pk3 in terms of size, b ut have great bass and clarity.

I was looking at the Grado 120i. People say its not the best sounding, but its the most comfy grado. >.> Always a downside.

You might take a run at the Audtio Techinica ES7. Pretty much everything you described.

Feb 13, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #42 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might take a run at the Audtio Techinica ES7. Pretty much everything you described.

Did you read the original post? lol

Feb 13, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #43 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadpool86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was looking at the Grado 120i.

What's that?

Feb 13, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #45 of 74
If those ~$800 spent so far had been spent on a single pair I assume you would have been more pleased with the result.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aka, rather take one (1) good pair over seven (7) mediocre pairs . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back